The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

+10000000

Where's Owsley?!

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Last night after 9-6-91 it was 3-24-94, definitely worth a listen for a late period set. (And not a Corrina in sight...;) )

Just a good set 1 with Sugaree and Loser warming up for a Cassidy set closer. Either they kind of blow the return from the jam, or Garcia overrules Weir and keeps it going ( I choose to believe the latter.) Set 2 is long for the 90s, a long Eyes of the World to open, followed by Looks Like Rain (almost always of colossal proportions in this era,) and Way to Go Home, each standing alone, before Garcia starts the jam with Terrapin Station. There's a few minutes of jamming before Drums, and then Garcia even pulls out the Tiger Jam in Space. Wheel>Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away is among the best you can hope for in a show-closing sequence in the 90s.

Then it was 3-17-68, Download Series 6, a primal counterpoint to the two 90s shows I heard yesterday. When I was younger I loved the early versions of China Cat etc., but now that I have some sense, I pay the most attention to things like the Spanish Jam, Alligator, or Caution. In this case it's The Eleven>Caution>Feedback, and it doesn't disappoint.

Now 11-30-73 at Boston Music Hall, the full show on the dusborne matrix. Sounds very good so far, enjoying the recently revived Dire Wolf.

PS I like everyone's new avatars, but also their old ones.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Mansley, adamos, Phoenician and 3 others like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I support the new avatar. As a botany expert, I've properly identified it as sugarus magnoliais.

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There are a bunch of studio outtakes from that year too -

Grateful Dead Guide: Brief Guide to 1975 Studio Rehearsals

Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack is the biggest bang for the buck available at the moment.

Some NAD driven Wharfedale Diamonds at about a 11 foot spread creates a terrific sound stage.

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Too much... but not nearly as much as any of the new copies that I’ve seen on eBay. If money could sing and jam like the GoGD then I would feel bad about parting with it, but, since it can’t, I don’t.

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  7. bzfgt

Don't encourage him! This is traumatic.

8. wavethatflag

It is? To be honest, I though U.S. was due.

Tough changes, look out below
    Sh-t happens and away we go
    -Bob Hunter

I'll throw more wood on the fire and approve of Archtop's new one also.

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't see what the big deal is. :angel:

US Blues, Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I don't even know who any of you are anymore! This'll learn me to not become overly reliant on avatars, t's for shore.

11. wavethatflag

What happened to the abstract painting or whatever? I'm losing my mind! (Teal bass will not hurt me, teal bass will not hurt me, teal bass will not hurt me...)

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  12. Archtop

Well, it's still in my music room. Something I did about a month ago.

And I've got somewhere around 1,000 photos on my computer, so theoretically I could change my avatar daily for the next several years. :whistle:

13. bzfgt

Denver 11-20-73 Truckin'>Other One>Stella Blue

Truckin' is just aight, mostly Phil fiddling around, the rest of it is tremendous though

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I did a check on the archives to see what shows that had most views. 72-74 and 77 is way up there.
    I was surprised to see that the most viewed '78 show was December 16 from Nashville, coming in at nr 12. No SDB available but a killer AUD recording thanks to Joani Walker. It's been a while since I listened to it so I put on the second set earlier today. A very nice Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain followed by a really good He's Gone>drums/space>The Other One>Wharf Rat>Around and Around. Garcia played one of his Travis Bean guitars because the Wolf was in the shop. So it has a different vibe/sound than most '78 shows. Highly recommended.
    There is also a 15min Sugaree and an excellent Candyman in the first set that should not be forgotten if you decide to give it a listen

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Re: Corrina I do think it got better over time and parts of it can even be catchy. But I saw multiple versions that were not awesome, to put it in simple terms. It’s also one of a few songs that kind of represent the rough final years and could derail a show. So I’m not a fan, but I’ll also acknowledge that it’s not their worst.

Also I don’t mind saying that I can enjoy a Sailor > Saint when the mood strikes me.

16. bzfgt

What could really derail a show was when they'd do Corrinna>Easy Answer>Way to Go Home>Wave to the Wind>Eternity>Whatever I'm Forgetting. Although then at least you could just write that one off if you were going the next night...

17. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

His old avatar was Owsley then. His new avatar is Owsley now.

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Samba In The Rain....

19. wavethatflag

But we'll leave Picasso Moon out of this discussion. :D

jeffsab, ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  20. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

1976. You get healthy doses of Slipknot, the best live Crazy Fingers, and unexpected jazzy improvs.

21. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

No way they ever did that sequence!! Although I would definitely check it out. Lol

wavethatflag, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  22. Archtop

10/10/82 has an old favorite segment of mine: Playin'--> Crazy Fingers--> Lost--> Saint--> Touch--> D/S--> Wheel--> Throwing Stones--> NFA--> Black Peter--> Sugar Mag.

Starting at 8:30 or so of Fingers, they enter this jam section that really isn't Fingers and certainly isn't Lost. Was this a normal part of the Fingers outro or a one-off?

23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

hows about this one

[​IMG]

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. bzfgt

25. bzfgt

Oh, yeah.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.