Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Well, he’s right...

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah and you guys streaming Drake and Rhianna on your iPhones and Bluetooth speakers are way cooler.
    my mistake

3. Black Magic Woman

Yeah, I like to choose MY music instead of having some dj on the radio choosing it for me.

SITKOL'76 and e.s. like this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The willful ignorance on this forum is astounding at times.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Don't have much of an opinion. The only record off his that I heard that made an impression on me was "I Can't Feel My Face" and I really didn't like that one. I didn't like the density of production effects, especially on the voice, and I really didn't like that central trope in the lyrics or the almost kind of retro '80s groove thing. I'm pretty turned off by anything retro, and anything '80s. I'm sure I've heard other of his songs on the radio, but nothing caught my attention. I don't think The Weeknd's music is for me, but I haven't heard enough of it to say anything other than my first casual impression of his music was that it wasn't my bag.

Osato likes this.
  6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The unfeigned ignorance can be quite a jaw-dropper too.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Oh, the irony.

8. Black Magic Woman

I don’t know why you are making such a big deal out of this, these records were meant to be broken, sooner or later it was going to happen anyways. It doesn’t make the Beatles less influential or important to music, it just tells us Drake is the major rap artist in this very moment. Rap is taking the lead right now, just like rock music was doing it in the second half of the last century. I don’t particularly like rap or hip/hop but I can see why it is appealing to my generation. There are some weak and stupid songs, but as far as I know in the sixties there were some stupid and weaks songs too. There are also great songs. Plus, I’ve met some people who discover new artists because their favorites rappers sample them, for instance, I’ve seen lots of comments on youtube of people who discovered Janis’ music because of Eminem’s Rock Bottom (Summertime is sampled). So, it’s not that bad at all.
    And IMO Lady Gaga’s Born This Way or Beyonce’s Lemonade are as great as any album Madonna made in the eighties -or Joni Mitchell in the seventies-.
    Saying modern music sucks just because it’s not your favorite genre...is kind of silly, to be honest.
    It’s a pity rock is dying, but what can we do?

SITKOL'76, apesfan and pinkrudy like this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

Who said anything about radio?

10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

You realize you're no different from the old biddies who used to complain about the racket the Beatles were making, right? And the geezers who used to say they all needed a good haircut?

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amen.

It's a scam the record industry would like to foist on people to assert that today's charts bear any resemblance to those in the era where they reflected physical sales.

If you want to watch the charts today, go ahead. But comparisons to anything in the distant past are ridiculous.

And this is not defense of The Beatles. This is simply fact.

12. Good for him. Records are made to be broken but not good records.

13. aoxomoxoa

You realize that comparing Drake to the Beatles is like comparing bubblegum to steak, right?

angelees and broshfab4 like this.
  14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

This forum definitely skews older than most I've read over the years and there's nothing wrong with that. I regularly browse through several reasonably sized subReddit groups devoted to music and there always seems to be topics such as 'your top 5/10/etc albums of all time" and Beatles albums rarely seem to pop up. I'm in my 30s and I'm sure plenty of people I grew up with have heard some Beatles songs and likely enjoyed a few. Probably very few of them own any dedicated albums or have a single of their tunes in their playlist. The largest exposure to them in my generation was probably through the "1" compilation in the early 2000s which was a huge seller. But they just aren't a band I really ever hear people address offline when the topic is music.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Gaslight likes this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Said my grandpa about comparing The Beatles to Bing Crosby.

16. aoxomoxoa

Bing Crosby was great. What’s your point, sonny?

17. Black Magic Woman

Who said anything about Bluetooth?

18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Streaming is ultimately the way most people get their music anymore - I think the real issue is allowing album tracks to count. That is entirely stupid and goes against the point of the Hot 100 (for singles), The U.K. chart company barred non-singles from charting on the singles chart (who would have thought?), and that would make a lot of sense for Billboard to do as well.

That's ultimately why Drake broke this record.

19. aoxomoxoa

I did.

20. Black Magic Woman

So did I about the radio.

21. aoxomoxoa

Who’s on first ?

( a bit you young folks probably don’t remember)

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

See, the difference between you and me -- well, one of the differences, anyway -- is that I actually do like The Beatles, and I don't particularly care for Drake, but I'm not threatened by Drake's popularity. Or that of any artist I'm not into.

People like different things, especially people from different generations. Soon, we'll be gone, and more than likely there eventually will be some old Drake fan upset that someone new star is more popular with ver kids. That's how pop music works, pappy.

23. aoxomoxoa

I’m going to go out on a BIG limb here and say that young people (in general) these days absolutely have no idea what good music is about. This doesn’t include all of them but MOST of them.
    At least that’s the way it seems to us old guys (I’m 50 btw).

Let’s face it. We had Jimi, The Beatles, Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, John Coltrane, and you guys have Drake and Rhianna (whoever she is).
    No contest.
    Until you young folks come up with somebody even half as good as say, Curt Cobain (and he’s not even the caliber of the people I just mentioned) - don’t try and tell me any different.

That’s my old man rant and I’m sticking with it.

Now excuse me, I have a Wilson Pickett 45 to pop on.

24. aoxomoxoa

I’m not threatened by anything. I’m just telling you how I feel. I better step out of this thread now before I get thrown out.

broshfab4 likes this.
  25. Black Magic Woman

Jimi doesn’t do anything for me just as Drake doesn’t do anything for you, so I don’t get your point. It seems to me all the rappers have a similar “vibe” as Drake, so that means he’s -maybe- as influential as Jimi once was, just my guess though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.