What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm presently toying with a Sony STR-6800 SD. Unfortunately, I don't have any decent pictures of it as its front lamps are all burned out.

My first order of business was to get the thing playing again, which I'd sort of written off as beyond my skill set. Well, come to find someone who halfway knows what he's talking about when it comes to these sorts of things and some investigation of my own and I find a section of a board was pretty singed. Replaced those components and gave the pots a cursory cleaning and it seems much better than it had been. Unfortunately, I doubt my work is done as there's still an odd quirk with it when it's powered on cold. Might be the capacitor near the transformer that's nearly the width of my wrist and that gives me a bit of concern when I contemplate toying with it, no question!

Anyway, it's a beautiful machine, so I'm trying to step carefully in what work I do on it. I'd like it to survive my fumbling and go back into active service. As it stands now, it sounds quite lovely even when I'm just using it as the front end for my Fiio portable player.

SirMarc and bluesaddict like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

What a best friend is for - giving a classic receiver for him to enjoy! :agree:

Manimal likes this.
  3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I've got a Denon DRA-600 boxed up in a closet that I bought new around 1979 or 1980. It's very stark looking with a tiny digital display for AM/FM channels and tiny lights for the modes. It has a flip down cover that hides all of the selector knobs except for the volume control. MM/MC phono stage and 60 RMS per channel. If I recall correctly, and that's probably a stretch, it sounds very nice indeed.

4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea he fell in love with it when It was mine and soon started looking for a vintage receiver of his own, he kept showing me eBay pics of cheap not great stuff for my opinion, he was strapped for cash. Finally I told him “I’m sending you the Marantz” and he was stunned. His excitement was payment enough.

Bubbamike, ronm and SirMarc like this.
  5. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

Just picked up a Sansui G-9700 receiver from a pawn shop for approximately $350. I had to drive to Tulsa (2 hour drive) to get it. He had a 2 month old listing on Craigslist for $900. I called and asked what he'd take in cash and promptly left work early to go get it. He mentioned that the digital FM readout didn't work so I figured it would take a full rebuild but when I got there I tested it and he hadn't switched the knob to FM. I flipped the switch and it lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm taking it tomorrow to the engineer that works at our radio station to give it a full look see, but at first glance it looks like it might be in great working condition. Cannot express how giddy I am to now have possession of this beast. I was able to get a pair of Martin Logan Aeon I speakers the same sort of way, and am hoping this will be the setup I stick with for a very long time. Would this two competent pair well together?

6. coopmv

[​IMG]

This should be it!

Daedalus, dkswaff, Agitater and 4 others like this.
  7. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Beautiful Sansui. I have a couple of earlier Sansuis, an 800 and a 4000. Great amp sections in both. No where near as powerful as that 9700 though.

8. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

That's exactly the model. I'm hoping to use it to run my Martin Logans as I've heard they need more power to run. From what I hear this has enough juice to run about any system.

9. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Do you know if the idle current and DC offset have been checked? I would want to make sure I wasn't sending any stray DC to the ML's before I put any juice to them. And yes, if the Sui is up to spec, you could probably do a little welding with it. :p

dkswaff likes this.
  10. Rt66indierock

Rt66indierock Forum Resident

My choices would be:
    Sansui Model 3000A
    Sony STR 6120
    Toshiba SA-15Y

11. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

Thanks for the input. I was needing a Mig/Tig welder so this fits in nicely. All jokes aside, I'm having the best guy I know look it over so as not to ruin my bargain finds.

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

8900 ZDB

Forget if I have posted this before. But, since we're talking Sansui Airraft Carriers...

[​IMG]

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I am now very happy with what I have;
    Sansui 2000X
    Kenwood KW-60
    Pioneer SX-880.

I would like a nice vintage Marantz though, and perhaps one of the larger Sansui silver faced monsters.

14. coopmv

Preferably the 2600 ... :agree:

[​IMG]

15. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

16. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Personally, I'd rather have a 2325.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigGame, Dennis Metz, djost and 4 others like this.
  17. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Either one of those would be fine^^^!!!

18. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

My 2265b just went to my tech for a tune up.
    [​IMG]

Has LED lights.
    [​IMG]

My 2240 that is also at my tech for a tune up. The right channel has something going out. I will do a LED light upgrade when I get it back.
    [​IMG]

My main system is a McIntosh C 28 pre amp into McIntosh MC 2505 both from the late 70's
    [​IMG]

Living room system 1964 Fisher 500c has been restored and sounds incredible when all warmed up.
    [​IMG]

19. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Having the most watts doesn't = the best sound. Neither the 2500 nor the 2600 can touch the best sounding Marantz receivers from that Era which is the 2325, 2330 and 2285. People get wrapped up in the number of watts for reasons I will never know.

Mitsuman likes this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

A lot of classic SS receivers in this post. I owned Sony STR-606FW, Sansui G7700, Sony STR-6065, Sony STR 6800SD, Marantz 2215, Harmond Kardon 75, Philips 7800, Scott 357, Nakamichi TA-4 and a few others. It was a tie in-between Sony STR-6060FW & Philips 7800. Not many know about the Philips, but that series are good performers. However, a stock Fisher 400 was a little better than all the SS receivers. The Fisher 400 with best tubes and upgrades was way, way better.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Panama Hotel likes this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'm not surprised at all. Those Fishers are incredible. Those guys just knew how to build components. In the 1970s, a guy in my 'hood asked me to help him restore his parents old system. Fisher mono amp, mono tuner and Garrard TT, all from the early 50s. With all new tubes, that system sounded incredible. on Mono records, anyway!

bluesaddict likes this.
  22. coopmv

Philips 7800, not a particularly good photo ...

[​IMG]

Bhob likes this.
  23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Serious SS receiver, good phono section too. This high performer is not well known. I believe made by Magnavox and the designer was very serious & did not cut corners. Even the op-amps were ok with much newer Burr Brown op-amp upgrades not that much better! A very clear sound for SS. I believe 60 watts per channel. $75 to $125 used. A cheap mans SS Marantz IMO.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  24. coopmv

Unfortunately, I have only owned two Philips turntables, never other electronics ...

25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

My dad bought me that Phillips receiver with a JVC turntable and Ohm L speakers as a kid in the late 70's. I remember it sounding very good. Best present ever!