Listened to Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails and WOW

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timind, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I always heard a huge Cipollina influence on Tom Verlaine of Television, more so than the often quoted Dead/Garcia influence.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    ARK, Jon-A, jneilnyc and 3 others like this.
  2. Add the aforementioned mentioned Beautiful Day and Kak
    Kak - Kak Ola (1969)

3. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

In the not so known bands, the first or only long player by Mad river, The serpent power, Tripsichord music box and Kak are also marvelous SF psych rock

zphage likes this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

1986 at the lone star cafe in new york. the show was touring as the trips festival and the two bands were the sounds of s.f. with john cipollina, joey covington, alex ligertwood, dave margen and gregg douglas and the other was a post bob weir version of kingfish. here's how this went. my friend produced these shows at the lone star. kingfish was touring without a drummer and dave margen was filling in on bass. after the early show, i offered my services for their late set. after a brief introduction, we agreed on a few songs which went quite well. later on, during the sounds of s.f., in the middle of stormy monday which also included onnie mcintyre of the average white band sitting in, joey covington decided he was done for the night and left the stage. alex ligertwood attempted to play drums just long enough to finish the song. at the song's conclusion, i asked alex if he would like me to finish the set with them as i'd just played with kingfish. he invited me up and we had a great time, if only for a couple of songs. i missed the ending of gimme some lovin but i thought it went very well considering i'd never played with them before. it was quite exciting to be able to play with some of my heroes. a night i won't forget. I already knew john but it was nice to finally be able to play with him.

Fox67, darkmass, groundharp and 6 others like this.
  5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I do like some of Dino's material with Quicksilver...In the early 70s I used to hear this song called "Don't Cry My Lady Love" on my local FM rock station in San Diego and really dug it and still love it today, especially the piano playing by Nicky Hopkins. I also really like Dino's 1968 solo LP, first picked it up in the 1980s, it's fantastic acid folk.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Thats a pretty good album. Perhaps the best way to relate the different periods or sounds of QMS is comparing them to Fleetwood Mac. The Peter Green Mac is different enough (yet similar to) the Kirwan then the Welch years. All good, but folks tend to prefer one line up over the other.

ARK, mds and notesofachord like this.
  7. This one is good.

8. The Dino Valenti constant REVERB vocal on this QMS records wear thin fast, although I love the sound in a more intimate way on his solo record on EPIC. Great psychedelic folk record.

CliffL and Sax-son like this.
  9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The first album is even better IMHO

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I still listen to that record "all the time". It has to be one of my all time favorites. I never get tired of it. As far as QMS goes, everything up through "Shady Grove". After that it's on a case by case basis.

mds and lbgarcia like this.
  11. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Here's another Hunter classic album cover. The girl is...similar.

[​IMG]

GerryO, ~dave~~wave~ and timind like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

As far as I am concerned, he ruined QMS. I do agree though, that his solo album is excellent and deserves recommendation.

Hardy Melville and Mazzy like this.
  13. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I've always liked that song. I also really like the live take of Silver and Gold that I found on Youtube. It's from one of those Fillmore shows I think.

CliffL likes this.
  14. davmar77

Interesting that he was supposed to be in the original lineup but had some drug busts. One of the 1967 archive releases has him guesting on a couple of songs if I remember correctly. I wonder how different they would have been with him there from the start.

15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Happy Trails aside, these are my preferred QMS live picks, all in decent sound quality:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Fillmore Auditorium, Nov 5, 1966
    • Fillmore Auditorium, Feb 4, 1967
    • Carousel Ballroom, Apr 4, 1968
    • Fillmore East, Jun 7, 1968
    • Winterland, Nov 7-10, 1968

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  16. davmar77

I had all of these long before they were officially released. The carousel date is actually April 14 68.

jay.dee likes this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I addition to the pure acid-rock bands, I'm also a fan of the "old-timey", "take-some-acid-and-pretend-it's-the-1890s" bands that were spearheaded by The Charlatans. In addition to them there's Sopwith Camel and The Flamin' Groovies.

zphage, timind and gd0 like this.
  18. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

And Kaleidoscope.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Very true, even though I think they were from L.A.? They certainly sound like a S.F. band...

zphage likes this.
  20. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

Make that two opinions on a basic bay sound collection.

timind likes this.
  21. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

Wonderful cover. I purchased the album in a Fargo Woolworth around 1970. Still occasionally frame it
    on a wall. Out of any/all of the albums I've had on my wall(s), this cover attracts the most comments.

Dave B, timind, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  22. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

It's odd how long QMS went before putting out their first album, such that many of these live records from 67/68 really
    capture the sound that their reputation rests on better than many of their studio albums. I've bought several and have
    really been enjoying them.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I remember my first girlfriend telling me she saw them a lot before their first album and thought they were at their best then.

jneilnyc and RiRiIII like this.
  24. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I am probably the only one who loves the Dino Valente years as much as the first two albums - I think he was a great singer and to call "What about me" bland just doesn't make sense to me , the self -titled album , Just for love and What about me are classics in my opinion and I am also very fond of the Solid Silver reunion album

ARK and texron like this.
  25. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

All Quicksilver albums have great moments that make them worth having. I feel the same about Solid Silver which somehow is one of the few “reunion” albums that works.

thematinggame likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.