The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Vegas 6/25/94, ugh. What a terrible show. I remember my friend (an attractive woman) said she ran into Billy after the show and he was talking her up and asking her how she liked the show, which was probably the worst of the year, certainly setlist-wise. It cracked us up when she got back to the hotel.

If the Shoe Fits was a relatively short Phil number, with the chorus "take your ball and go home." All I can say for it is that I like it better than Wave to the Wind.

ianuaditis, budwhite, trd and 4 others like this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Me neither. :)

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I posted in the Daves thread upriver the last two announcements were on the 26th. Sadly thats two weeks away and im already anxious.

GuidedByJonO))) and ianuaditis like this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

10/22/71 Chicago via DaP 3. There seems to be mixed opinions of this one but I think it’s some good ‘ole ‘71, and it’s early Keith to boot. Also compared to DaP 2 (7/31/74) which I just played the other day the sound is crisp and vibrant.

Just finished the first set which other than some vocal missteps in Comes A Time was solid. On to Set II and That’s It For The Other One...

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It's like I have a twin.

:love::cheers::love:

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's a Non-Scarlet Begonia in its wild habitat.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Enemy Is Listening

8. US Blues

See, I thought it was self-explanatory.

9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

9/19/70. Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA. The reason why 1970 NFAs were especially good is Bob's rhythm work. Very ballsy. Jerry on a Les Paul this night? Kinda sounds like it to me.

On another thread I referred to this as musical Valhalla, which it is. I am going to listen to it again when it's done. Don't listen to this on Relisten; go to the archive. The RL version cuts out in the middle of Dark Star. Pretty revolting.

10. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

wavethatflag, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

That was my third or fourth show

wavethatflag, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Sure @GuidedByJonO))) Hooded Figures Hauling Guitars Down a Mountain Guy.

:righton:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

A couple of GD related items in CT news today - first, a bear broke into someone's garage, most likely in search of their stash of Dead tapes
    Bear makes mess of Colebrook garage

Also, it was announced today that a 2nd-divison soccer team is coming to Hartford starting next season, to play in Dillon Stadium, famous for both the Wall of Sound show in 74 and also a sit in by the Allmans two summers earlier.

I'm pretty sure they will just level the old bleachers and put up new stands, but maybe with the upgrade they will throw a few concerts there again. My understanding is the neighbors were not too thrilled with the 'rock n' roll' element back in the 70s.
    technically, I think yes - he was playing a (circa) 1961 Les Paul (the shape that would later be called the SG) during the latter part of 1970.

wavethatflag, adamos and budwhite like this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just looked at those guitar guys closely; I always thought they were hands holding microphones.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I did too, until your post!

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

So what is the difference in sound between a Les Paul and the SG?

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Are the 78 Dicks Picks worth getting?

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Very much so. #18 is top five in the series and maybe even the very best release post hiatus.

#25 are two fine May shows. The first recorded by Bear and the second recorded by Betty

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. US Blues

All '78 shows are worth getting. The official releases, too. And not just JGB, the GD as well.

20. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

21. track11

track11 Forum Resident

As someone who has taken full advantage of the extraordinary taper/trader network for Dead shows, I was wondering to learn a bit more about how this seemingly extremely well-managed and organized 'system' works. Mods, let me know if anything I post here is forbidden; but I'm hoping everything is A-OK since I've seen these sites referenced frequently.

From what I can tell, most sources appear on LL first. They then get posted to bt.etree.org, usually by LL folks. That's where I get lost, though. Is the person who posts on bt.etree.org responsible for 'giving' the source a source number and filling out the db.etree.org profile? Where does posting to the archive fit into all of this? Does that take place before or after?

The work that has been done to develop and maintain this resource just seems absolutely staggering, but I haven't seen this written up as a model or example, which is why I'm asking here.

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

[​IMG]

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

on the db.etree.org page for any given source, there is a notation for the person who entered it.

24. trd

trd Forum Resident

25. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Nice sequence in yesterday's TDIH, 7/11/81, might be worth checking out for some of you.

Start with the long jam out of Truckin' (kind of unusual post-74) that goes into a good drums. Space actually features the band playing together instead of noodling, into a short but powerful Other One featuring a Bob Dylan-like vocal delivery from Bob.

The link to the show