Poll: Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary vs 2016 BG Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dorian75, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yes...that’s correct.

Solace likes this.
  2. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

wow u got the version in the photo in sealed condition? thats amazing. I have also ordered the same one the EMS-80324. was seeking a first press EOP but those go for pretty high prices. im glad you feel that it sounds great. will give it a spin once it arrives and post here my thoughts on this amazing LP :D

3. jon9091

The version I got sealed was the 30th Anniversary, sorry I didn’t make that clear.
    Given the limited choices in the poll, that’s what I voted for, but there are so many nice sounding versions of this album out there.
    Early U.K. would likely be the best, but I do have a family to feed. :help:

4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The 30th is better than the 2016.

bru87tr, Preston and nosliw like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I suspect it's because the 2016 was new when this poll was made and a lot of people had just bought it. The 30th easily trumps the 2016.

bru87tr and nosliw like this.
  6. jon9091

I think that’s certainly a big part of it, but also it’s because if you don’t have a specific kind of stylus type, some people ran into sibilance issues with the 30th. I didn’t have any issues here though.

DoF, Preston and marblesmike like this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Nor me. Mine is a quiet pressing too.

There's a video above that compares different versions. Even on that video the 30th sounds better than the 2016, let alone at home on a decent set up.

marblesmike and jon9091 like this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

To me the 30th is clearly better, though it's likely I have a good copy. Does appear pressings were variable on this.
    Difference is not small. 30th is much closer to my A3/B3 pressing.

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I don't know I missed this poll......I own both of these pressings, and also a 70's Wally cut. I had time this morning, so I and gave both of them a listen. I started with the 30th....mine is an EU with made in Holland on the back cover, and DS (Doug Sax) in the deadwax. I've read all kinds of horror stories about pressing defects, non fill, and sibilance associated with the 30th....my experience has been the opposite. I remember buying this pressing in the summer of 2004 at a local record shop, and the only issue was a slight warp which was easily fixed with my buddy's vinyl flat. I really like the sonics on the 30th, it's definitely cut hotter than the 2016 Grundman, but I don't mind that one bit. The Grundman is more relaxed and smooth, and I can see why many will prefer this approach. I agree with several posters who mentioned that a listener's system will weigh heavily on their preference. My system and my ears prefer the 30th.....it has a more encompassing tone, and handles the sonic details a little better (such as the sax on Money). But the Grundman is no slouch...it's a terrific sounding pressing, and I highly recommend for those who haven't purchased a copy.....while it's still available for around $30. :righton:

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

How did the Wally do in your estimation?

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I greatly prefer the 2011 to the 2003...

2016 is not bad.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I really enjoy my Wally.....I've had it for close to 20 years, but it's been a little while since I've spun it. Let me get back with you shortly.

nosliw and dkmonroe like this.
  13. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

From Barakapdub's video, the 2003 30th Anniversary pressing sounds better than the 2016 cut by Bernie Grundman.

With respect to the Wally cut from the first pressings, I prefer that one from the other two aforementioned cuts.

14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I find the 2011 to be quite anemic sounding compared to the 2016 or 2003.

Classicrock likes this.
  15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Since last looking at this thread I've acquired a UK A3/B3 - it's not mint but it's easy to see why most folk think it's arguably the best pressing - I gave my A4/B3 to a good friend and have kept the rest - a UK A9/B10, US Wally cut, 2nd Issue Japanese, EMI 100, 2003 (30th), 2013 (40th), green vinyl counterfeit and the 2016! I've kept the green vinyl counterfeit purely for amusement as it has some great spelling mistakes on the labels! Out of all the issues I have I probably gravitate most towards the UK's or the 2003.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I just finished listening to side 2 on the Wally. I immediately noticed that the volume needed to be turned up....but man oh man, it thrives when it's cranked. It handles the highs so beautifully, incredibly dynamic. It is definitely the most crankable of the three, and my 12 year old son came running into out listening room busting out his air guitar while Money was playing. :pineapple:
    I can't definitively say which pressing sounds superior, but perhaps the 30th handles the details a hair better, and the Wally is a tad more dynamic. If one comes across a clean Wally cut in the wild......snag it, it's a fun listen.

Dorian75, dkmonroe and JP Christian like this.
  17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The first copy I ever owned was the Wally cut and it doesn't disappoint - I'm a bit spoilt for DSOM vinyl now - don't get me started on how many CD variations I have....!

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Those dang 70's lp's - you just CAN'T turn them up too loud! They only get better! :laugh:

Dr. Funk likes this.
  19. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

no worries about it.. im glad that u like listening to your ems jap press. many of my pals were recom me the eop 1st press but the price just isn't right for me so I went for the ems press. cant wait for it to arrive from japan :D

20. gnuyork

gnuyork Well-Known Member

I just got the 2016 remaster and listed to it tonight. Very enjoyable, but I remember the CD just totally sounding like it was surround on my system, I was blown away. I didn't feel that with he LP even though it sounded great. But, I have since moved my speakers and listening position, as well as add a sub. Speaking of, the very first bits of sound effect totally killed my sub. Does anybody else experience this?

* my sub is not dead, but what I meant is that it's so bassy that the speaker rattles (only in the begininng seconds of the track)

21. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I just picked up the 30th - it was a bargain. Kind of a noisier pressing in lead-in, lead-outs. But overall, recommended.

Phaneronic and Dorian75 like this.
  22. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President Thread Starter

Do you have th 2016 to compare? The 2016 is now my go-to.

Phaneronic likes this.
  23. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I have a needledrop of it - I think that is a very good pressing, but I wanted my only copy to be AAA. Personal taste.

Dorian75 likes this.
  24. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I have both and I feel exactly the same as you.

25. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Actually I have further comment. I'm doing a head to head comparison now. My 30th, which I recalled being a bit noisy was just cleaned (again) before I played it this time. It's much quieter than it was. Not as quiet as the 2016 but very respectable. On side one the only time I noticed any noise was a tiny bit at the close of the music on the end of the side.
    On the 30th on my system, which doesn't have an exotic stylus shape (Denon 103) the record had deeper bass, a wider soundstage and a more airy top end. Yes these was some sibilance on Dave's vocals in Time, but not at all objectionable. Overall it was a more visceral presentation but I could see it being a little too in your face on some systems.
    By contrast the 2016 has on overall smoother presentation as others have noted. It's cut a little lower. It's not quite as 'cinematic' as the 30th in terms of immersion in the soundstage. The sibilence is tamed. It's more polite as others have said. I find it a perfectly acceptable variation. But I have to reverse my initial judgement and give the nod to the 30th if one has a quiet pressing. I could live with either. I also have a 2nd Japanese and a MFSL that were not included in the comparison. Maybe I'll get to that at another time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.