Dolly Parton - Here You Come Again (Appreciation)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Was just recently going on a Dolly marathon and ran into this song for the first time. Fantastic tune and after 10+ years of being a country superstar was Dolly's first major cross-over record, making it to #3 on the Pop charts in January of 1978 and selling over 1M copies in the US.

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

The first time? You must be a youngster! This song was everywhere in 1977-78.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I agree.:D

This was the beginning of Dolly’s country/pop era where she didn’t write as much of her material. I personally love albums like Dolly Dolly Dolly, Heartbreaker, Great Balls Of Fire & Here You Come Again. I don’t think this time is considered Dolly’s best by her fans, but it was her most successful few years.

Do you know Baby I’m Burnin’ from the Heartbreaker album? It’s a great pop/disco stomp.:D

Sadly most of the albums I mentioned are hard to find on CD, though they should all be on iTunes and Spotify.

4. SITKOL'76

With Dolly I'm more so just familiar with the hits. My mother's a big fan of hers but I don't think I've ever really delved into her discography like I should.

I could start today though, and that's a nice song.

5. Bobby Morrow

I think Baby I’m Burnin’ was a top 30 hit.

Thing is, for all her legendary status, Dolly was never a huge record seller.. The Here You Come Again single and album were as good as it got.

Plus the duet with Kenny Rogers of course.:)

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This song is easily my favorite one that she's ever recorded. It was a breath of fresh air back in the day when it got major airplay and every time I hear it now, it always makes me smile.

Classic Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil track and GOD only knows how many great songs that they have written.

Here is their original demo of the song ...

ispace, Joti Cover, Mr Sam and 4 others like this.
  7. SITKOL'76

Don't forget '9 to 5', that was a big hit too, #9 song of 1981.

ispace, frightwigwam, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  8. majorlance

Well, maybe not on your side of the pond! :doh:

As of 2017, Parton had sold over 100 million records, including 42 Top 10 albums and 25 No. 1 singles, the most for any woman ever. She's also racked up 25 RIAA-certified gold, platinum, and multi-platinum albums.

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

By the way, this song was written in 1975 for Brenda Lee and she foolishly passed on it. The first officially recorded version, outside of the demo, was recorded by B.J. Thomas in 1977 for his self-titled album on MCA (the album that gave him the hit single of The Beach Boys "Don't Worry Baby") and was later heard by Dolly's producer Gary Klein and he recommended the song to her, knowing that she was attempting to take her career more mainstream.

ispace and SITKOL'76 like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Many of those singles and albums were on the country chart. A lot of the latter didn’t make the Billboard top 200 at all. Especially in the early days.

11. Bobby Morrow

I had forgotten that one. It only scraped the top 50 here.

12. majorlance

So what? Country sales don't matter? 100 million records sold is 100 million records sold, my friend. Her sales would be the envy of all but a handful of artists — in any genre.

13. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I got interested in Dolly just before her crossover move into pop, and the records from this era cemented my opinion. I don’t think she ever intended to stay in the pop arena; just grow her fan base and bring some of them along as she eventually moved back toward her country roots. Somebody, maybe in one of these forums, cited Dolly as a rare longtime performer who never really made a career misstep, and I agree with that. She always seemed to be savvy. A thing that really helped her along was that she had a clear understanding of her public image of glitz and excess and was at peace with it, which made it endearing instead of off-putting.

D-rock and SITKOL'76 like this.
  14. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Wonderful song from a wonderful album.

ispace, Matthew Tate and SITKOL'76 like this.
  15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

And the album that features it, 9 to 5 and Other Odd Jobs, is a marvelous concept album about working class people. Her pop direction is very much still there, but her country roots are still very present as well. It has great Dolly originals like "Working Girl", "Hushabye Hard Times", and "Poor Folks' Town" along with inspired covers of Mel Tillis' "Detroit City", Mike Settle's "But You Know I Love You", Woody Guthrie's "Deportee" and Merle Travis' "Dark As a Dungeon", and her uptempo, synth-heavy version of the traditional "House of the Rising Sun" was folktronica before it was a thing. She kicked off the '80s with a masterwork.

ispace, D-rock, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"Here You Come Again" shows that Dolly Parton could tackle more pop oriented material and do it successfully. She sounds very confident here as if this is a direction she had been wanting to take for some time.

Matthew Tate, D-rock and SITKOL'76 like this.
  17. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

This song brings back fond memories, as it was the very first song I heard on my little transistor radio when I was 11 years old.
    It's a pivotal moment I'll never forget, and after all these years as a rabid music fan and the tens of thousands of songs I've heard since, it's help up well. Great song, and a great performance of it by Dolly.

D-rock and SITKOL'76 like this.
  18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Great song with fantastic chord progressions, written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill. The flip side of the single, "Me and Little Andy", written by Dolly, is a classic story song like the ones she wrote in her earlier career, proving that she still had the knack for that type of thing.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great song. Late '70/early '80s country is my favorite (and about all I can handle :)).

This is another one of my favorites.

Crystal Gayle - Half the Way.

20. Bobby Morrow

No, I’m saying the country chart is a subsidiary of the top 200. The #1 country album of the week might only be #30 on the latter, so positions on the country chart look far better.

Take for example Dolly’s one true hit studio album, Here You Come Again. It was #1 on the country chart but peaked at #20 on the top 200. Of course the country chart position looks better on paper...

21. majorlance

I get all that. I was & have been addressing your original statement below, not the issue of chart positions to which you seem to have shifted.
    As I stated in posts #8 and #12, this is clearly not true given her 100 million records sold.

If you want to argue chart positions and their significance, that's a different topic.

ispace, frightwigwam and D-rock like this.
  22. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Mann & Weil write great tunes, both Dolly and Sonny did fine renditions.

Mr Sam and SITKOL'76 like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I think we’ll just leave this one be.

majorlance likes this.
  24. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Not to stir the pot, but Country sales (and R&B) literally don't count on the Pop chart; Pop isn't everything (total sales), it's what's left after you takes specialty markets out. Kinda, sorta, but I think that's basically it - right? and pre-bar code the sampling was a flawed methodology and even after that it's less than perfect.

25. I like Dolly's solo albums but my favorites are her duets with Porter Wagoner. Bear Family box sets are generally out of my income bracket but I have Just Between You and Me.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.