Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying quartets 2, 4 and 6 from the above set.

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Which one did you hear? This one has generally gotten good reviews, although many say they wouldn't recommend it as a first choice since the playing is so intense. I own it and like it.

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson likes this.
  3. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Do you have any of the other DHM boxes? If so there is going to be overlap. You'll want to check carefully for duplication. But the DHM recordings are generally very good.

4. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

No, I don't have any of the other smaller boxes. I have some DHM albums on MP3, but not many and of course a lot of duplication in the music, but with different versions. So far my experience with DHM was very good.

Bubbamike likes this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's the one, and, to quote a sage listener from somewhere or other ;), "I own it and like it."

Bachtoven likes this.
  6. George P

Indeed, not a first choice, but when the mood is right, it works well. I have this CD:

[​IMG]

From this 3CD box set:

[​IMG]

7. George P

A few years back, I had a chance to compare a number of different transfers of those legendary performances; Naxos, Pearl and Opus Kura. I preferred the latter by a good margin, so I tracked it down. I would say of all of my historical CDs, this is near the top in terms of wringing every last drop of nuance from an old 78.

[​IMG]

crispi and Baroque like this.
  8. George P

hvbias likes this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I listened to samples of this on Amazon and really like it, think I might order this SACD. I don't have much classical guitar or lute music in my collection, only about half a dozen discs, but I really enjoy what I have. Have you heard Lindbergs previous album to this, of German and French baroque music? That one looks good too and wonder which one I should get first. Also I wonder if he plays the same instrument on both discs, a lute by Sixtus Rauwolf. (Also the title of his prior album).

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks George, this is one of a few packages I am waiting for from Zoverstocks (UK) for over a month :sigh:

I absolutely loved the Mazurkas on that needle drop, a very unique and interesting take to say the least. Op. 67 No. 4 was in particular I adored.

George P likes this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This is the Fazil Say set I would not want to be without:

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No, I haven't heard those, but I bet they are superb. The instruments (he plays two) on "Nocturnal" are made by Michael Lowe.

bruce2 likes this.
  13. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

As has been covered elsewhere, the possible overlap is with their smaller 10 CD boxes rather than the two earlier 50 CD compliations, which have very little duplication with this one (a total of less than 10 CDs). I have all three and checked it out before buying the new one.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very powerful playing with excellent sound. (Piano Sonatas Nos. 1, 6 and 7; Toccata, Op. 11; Etude Op.2 No.1)

[​IMG]

15. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Does Intrada’s 3 CD ‘complete score’ of Conan the Barbarian count as classical music? I’ve been looking for this set for over a year and finally snagged a set off eBay for less than $60.
    [​IMG]
    I honestly expected a more night & day difference from the older MCA/Milan/Warner/Varese Sarabande masterings. The big news is almost twice as much music (and outtakes!). The sound quality isn’t bad but it does sound like a 30+ year old symphonic recording. You just don’t ‘feel’ the timpani like you would on something new.

Nic Raine and the Prague Symphony did a complete re-recording a couple years ago but I don’t think it was every officially sold in the US. That’ll probably be my next eBay hunt. Or maybe a European LP so I can get the swanky new artwork
    [​IMG]

16. George P

Sorry to hear that! I abhor order anxiety. :shake:

hvbias likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just received this today, and after listening to the SACD I agree it is a beautiful recording. I may look into getting another disc from Lindberg. This is also now the longest CD I have ever owned...the Redbook layer clocks in at 83 minutes and 17 seconds!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    WHitese and Bachtoven like this.
  18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

He has a lot to choose from

bruce2 likes this.
  19. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player tonight...
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector and vanhooserd like this.
  20. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

My favorite Rhapsody.

ToddBD likes this.
  21. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Yes Jakob Lindberg has had a long and distinguished recording career at BIS (as has his brother Christian). I remembered hearing him at a concert in Stockholm in the early 1980s before he had become a big name, and also had the fortune of helping to organize a conference at Uppsala university in the 1990s where he participated with a talk on Dowland, followed by an in-conference performance. My impression is that he is only getting better as an interpreter, and can recommend his recent sacd "A Lute by Sixtus Rauwolf," where he plays French and German baroque music on one of the very few still playable original instruments, made in the last decades of the sixteenth century: https://www.amazon.com/Sixtus-Rauwo...378134&sr=1-1&keywords=lute+by+sixtus+rauwolf. Another excellent recent sacd is his "Jakobean Lute Music", also played on the Rauwolf lute: https://www.amazon.com/Jacobean-Lut...1&keywords=jacobean+lute+music+jakob+lindberg.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    WHitese, bruce2, hvbias and 1 other person like this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've really been enjoying Rachmaninoff's Etudes Tableux this week, listening to recordings by Richter, Horowitz, Rachmaninoff, Ashkenazy and Lugansky. Horowitz's Op. 39 No. 5 is one I just love.

23. George P

My all time favorite for those works is Angelich. Prior to that it was Ogdon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

hvbias likes this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Has anybody heard the new recording of Bruckner Symphony No. 7 by Andris Nelsons and the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig? It came out a couple months ago on DG and I think I'm going to order it. I have been listening to the 1971 Karajan Berlin recording on EMI, and while I love the performance I find it hard to listen to. A lot of parts are whisper quiet and can barely be heard, only to be offset by outbursts of painfully loud, over reverberating and distorted brass. I like a good dynamic range but this is too much for my ears so I think I am going to try the Nelsons even though it has gotten mixed reviews. It has nothing but 5 stars on Amazon, but a couple of pro reviews slammed it pretty hard for poor tempo choices and "lack of pulse".

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've heard parts of Nelsons' Bruckner 7 with Leipzig and wasn't impressed at all, too slow and heavy-sounding, it lacks the forward motion Bruckner needs. Same goes for his earlier Bruckner with the same orchestra. His Shostakovich with Boston, on the other hand, is fine. All in my opinion, of course :) I know there are huge fans here of this way of interpreting Bruckner (Celibidache comes to mind), but I don't like it. I've been listening to Bruckner interpretations for decades now, and my favourites are still Haitink (he made numerous Bruckner recordings) and Karajan. Their recordings of the 7th are great.

bruce2 likes this.