New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

It seems to me that there was a whole lot more buzz and excitement after Paul released the single "New" ahead of the album by the same name. It's possible that by pre-leasing 2 songs, it diluted and divided the interest between the two songs. It's also possible that they just aren't up to snuff with "New". For me, the 2 new tunes really didn't catch me even after repeated listenings. Hoping the album has something more grabbing. The preview talk-ups are encouraging but you hear that kind of talk prior to ANY album coming out even if it turns out to be a real clunker.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Looks like side b and c would get the most plays by far. I like Paul's Instrumentals, but don't know if I want them to be 20 minutes long each. I guess if they were really good it would be fine. I mean I love Oceans Kingdom.

planckera likes this.
  3. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

Nah. I want a NEW one, but not like the "New" which is already OLD:)

These two new songs are great for me.

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It took me several repeated listenings to warm up to New [song]. I heard a lot of hype about how it sounded like a new Penny Lane-esque song but I tried very hard to put that aside and hear it for its own merits...

5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Perhaps the songs are more of a cohesive album this time around and he didn't try to write a single for the sake of writing a single.

This album is supposedly going to be more conceptual. Maybe all together (now) they will sound nice as a group but as a 'hit single' neither of these songs may have originally be intended to stand alone for that purpose.

On the flip side as it's been discussed some here before, Paul hasn't always picked the best song for a single. "Biker Like An Icon" is the one that comes immediately to mind.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But Biker was the FOURTH single...

RAJ717 likes this.
  7. omikron

Aaaannnndddd he should have stopped at three on that one.

But . . . ON THE FLIP SIDE . . we wouldn't have gotten the leftover Unplugged songs.

DmitriKaramazov, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  8. [​IMG]

Fred Muratori poetry defines a place where nature, faith and love fail to console, and where acceptance of the life "we learn reluctantly to trust" is the first step toward escaping it. Employing a range of free and formal structures, these poems "recreate the certainties/and hide no nightmare" in the hope of recognizing those last chances for change which "are visible in quickly-failing light."

———————————————————————————————————————————-

Despite Repeated Warnings , described a s a “song suite” or “pocket symphony “ by Macca amd Kurstin has aroused great curiosity - both in its speculation about lyrical content and musical composition.

Perhaps the lyrical theme is based on some of the literary references in the poems by Mr Muratori? (See above)

The music? Pretty big touting, name checking it with Band On the Run, Live and Let Die. Even some whispers of Abbey Road suite!

When the songs come out, I’ll keep the nature of this book in mind, as possibly an inspiration of Macca.
    Or, perhaps, he literally uses some of it - a bit of poetry not written by the Beatles was used in the Abbey Road Suite (Golden Slumbers)

Though the actual recording may never live up to the pre-release hype of the suite - let’s hope this reflects confidence in a great piece of music — rather than foolish publicity flakery.

9. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

I often wish Blue Sway was two 20-minute pieces filling up a single LP! I agree the "Station" tracks would need to be quite good to hold one's interest for that long. I'd love it if Paul could pull it off, but I'm sure those songs would quickly become the most skipped tracks in all his catalog!

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That sing certanely seems intriguing. Sonetimes this pre-hype and comparisons to Paul real timeless classics can lift expectations extremely high. I an eagerly awaiting this one and keep ny fingers crossed

Paperback Writer likes this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

For me Blue sway could go on forever. Real powerful stuff:)

planckera likes this.
  12. Brother Nerk

Brother Nerk Forum Resident

Phish did it too--I have the band-issued CD.

Lownote30 and RoryMcBride like this.
  13. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

We could try to extremely lower expectations by saying the song will actually be a reworking of Women Kind. :yikes:

Bemagnus likes this.
  14. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

15. omikron

Yes I was thinking that too. Maybe the street noise will slowly morph into a short orchestral/choral intro. Should make a nice lead in to that piano piece that opens "I Don't Know".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"Come On To Me" is getting some respectable attention from the radio formats that are still open to Paul (mainly Triple A), which is an important marketing function. "I Don't Know" seems to mostly be generating discussion among hardcore fans. That's also useful, and I don't think it undercuts "Come On To Me."

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Don't know what the experiment was with New, it just sounds like a regular McCartney album to me? Hope Egypt Station is just as good or better.

18. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

"Despite Repeated Warnings" could be about George Orwell's '1984'. Either that, or the song is just a two minute hate...

19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  20. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Doubleplusgood

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:yikes::shh:

theMess likes this.
  22. Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I think it sounds like..."Carnival of Light"!!! :D

24. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I guess our French friend hasn’t pulled through yet, oh well, maybe tomorrow

25. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

She had that jacket when they were in Japan last year. That must be a stock photo that can be used.
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien and Paperback Writer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.