Happy Days (ABC tv show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You left out the fourth reason: $ :angel:

Oatsdad likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, 3 $ was sufficient - a 4th $ would've made Winkler too greedy! ;)

Pete Puma likes this.
  3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Chachi was the Scrappy Doo of Happy Days.

4. Oatsdad

Ha - this comment wins the SHF for today! :righton:

MikeInFla and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think the problem with many shows is that the characters aren't allowed to grow and change. It's related to a problem I've had with The Austin Powers movies: I can understand him being somewhat a fish out of water in the first movie, but that should not be the case by the third movie.

I don't think that Ted McGinley causes a show to jump the shark. I think it's a case of him repeatedly joining shows at the point where they are on their way up the ramp. As an example, he joined the cast of The Love Boat at a time when it was on its way to its end anyway.

I strongly disagree. Chachi was a far better and more interesting character than Scrappy Doo. In fact, Jar Jar Binks is a much better and more interesting character than Scrappy Doo.

Jord likes this.
  7. I think Winkler knew that he was going to be known as the Fonz forever. Might as well scoop up as much cash as you can before you are sent to typecasting purgatory.

8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

LOL!

MikaelaArsenault and kevywevy like this.
  9. You bet! It's good to see him break-out with his recent roles on Arrested Development and Barry.

10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yep! And he jumps the shark again!

11. Oatsdad

Don't go crazy - I said you won the SHF, not the whole Internet! :tsk:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

What other internet is there? I though those were only rumors (or Rumours).

13. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

It wasn't necessarily a kids' show, but Fonzie was very appealing to kids and it was one of the first shows from my era that had significant marketing tie-ins. Much of the marketing was centered around Winkler's character, I don't really recall much that was about Richie, Joanie or the parents. That Fonzie Talking Pinball Game was amazing for it's time!

MikeInFla and kevywevy like this.
  14. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Happy Days was like a lot of other sitcoms of the era - it went on a few seasons too long. It probably should have ended when Richie left show in 1980.

15. Loved that. There's another one (couldn't find a clip) where they are leaving a bathroom. Winkler looks at the bathroom mirror, starts to fix his hair, stops and gives his reflection the "hey" thumbs up and walks out.

16. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yea it's been awhile since I seen the later episodes I just know Fonz became a teacher and got in a serious relationship

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

...or cousin Oliver...

bekayne likes this.
  18. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

By the third season the entire cast was screaming. I guess they wanted to reach the back row over all the audience screaming.

19. Oatsdad

I remember that sometime during the run of "Seinfeld", the audience started to applaud whenever a main character would enter. I think Jerry and company realized pretty quickly how cheesy this was - it didn't last long...

20. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I watched every show (Seinfeld) when they originally aired, and I remember that, but I don't remember that it didn't last.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Often there are legal and financial considerations that prevent them from just stopping. If actors A, B, and C have committed to 3 seasons at X thousand dollars per episode, they're gonna squeeze them for that money all they can. I think Garry Marshall's feeling was, "as long as our ratings are high, and people want to see us, let's go another year." I worked on seasons 10 & 11 of Happy Days myself for Paramount, and I was numb most of the time because they were so horrible to watch. Awful to shoot, too. They were just going through the motions at that point.

Seasons 7-10 were all still Top 20 shows, but Season 11 dropped to #63, and that was definitely overstaying its welcome. There is probably an optimal point where sitcoms should stop, but I think a lot of producers and studios looked at M*A*S*H, Cheers, Married with Children, and Frasier and said, "ya know, those guys made it to 11 seasons... let's go for it!" 2-1/2 Men made it to 12 seasons, and I'll bet you that Big Bang Theory goes even longer. So it is possible to keep a show going a long time and still be funny, entertaining, and profitable.

somnar and Jack Lord like this.
  22. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

IIRC, the last couple of years of Happy Days, the show was aired directly opposite NBC's The A-Team, which was definitely the hottest show amongst my 5th and 6th grade classmates and me. That couldn't have helped Happy Days. I remember seeing an article saying the Fonz had gotten a bust in the chops from Mr. T.

When I was in college I took a class on theatre and one of the plays we had to read was Samuel Beckett's Happy Days. In the syllabus, the teacher wrote, "The Fonz will NOT be present." :D

23. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Was it your idea to have Tom Bosley wear those aviator sunglasses? Talk about checking out!:D

Jord, somnar and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  24. Oatsdad

It didn't. There was a period where they allowed the clapping - maybe half a season, I'd guess? - but it got kiboshed after a while.

I remember I was surprised they allowed it in the first place. "Seinfeld" was a series that was supposed to "take a stand" against sitcom conventions, and the inclusion of audience applause when characters entered seemed shockingly cheesy...

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Oh, I agree, but I haven't seen a lot of those episodes since they aired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.