CBS gives “Murphy Brown” revival a 13-episode order; Candice Bergen, creator Diane English to return

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The problem is that she has a slight Joker look about her. Can’t people just age gracefully without surgery?

milankey and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

There's nothing graceful about age, speaking as part of the resistance! :laugh:

:cheers:
    Cat

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Another recent video

4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

God, I thought Tyne Daly was gone for good. I can do without her.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, there's a lot of digital work going on in that shot... :eek: I want a T-shirt that says, "I look better with Digital Skin Defocus."

You would be shocked at the amount of digital tweaking that goes on just to help actors (even actors under 40) look a little better. I know of a major, big-budget action TV series where they have to devote a solid 8 hours just to "help" out the 30-something star, because she has some issues. There are older actors in the show who don't require nearly as much "digital surgery" in post.

6. MikaelaArsenault

So that's why her face looks young in that.

krock2009 likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

In the old days, didn't they cover the camera lens with gauze or something? I remember in the 80's on a Miami Vice episode, they had to have a Vietnam memory of Don Johnson's as a backstory and they somehow really managed to make him look 10+ years younger.

krock2009 likes this.
  8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think there's quite a bit of analog work going on there too. :laugh:

Wasn't there an Ikagami broadcast camera introduced in the early -90s that "smoothed" wrinkles? I recall reading about it and almost immediately noticing it used on network and anchors as well as the big stations in Denver at the time. Maybe it was a magic box in the control room rather than a specific camera design, it's been a while.

dan c

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I saw a commercial this morning for it. I did not recognize Candace Bergen at first.

10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

This will tank.
    They'll have to dig out a sh!tload of shoulder pads from wardrobe.
    Anyone with a WAG about who the new target of the show's smug, witty banter will be?
    One thing you can never underestimate is the density of film & TV execs.
    Maybe Designing Women on Rascals can get green lit.
    Gawd.

Ghostworld and krock2009 like this.
  11. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Boo! Hiss!!! Horrible woman, I'll dvr a few eps, just to never buy a product that advertises this dreck, Hollywood, your days are #'d...

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Electronic skin defocus has been a thing for a long time. The advantage of doing it with VFX now (as we do it today) is that we can selectively confine it to just one person -- not the whole shot. A circuit in a camera or a filter on a lens can't do that. I have had cases with three people in a shot, and each person gets a different digital "beauty treatment." And some people get none at all, depending.

Some of it can be subtle, and it's done even to younger people, as shown below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think of it as "Photoshop for Movies." We've been doing this stuff for at least 15 years now. Lotta tweaking that goes on in post. I had a great "beauty pass" weekend on a film last summer. Can't say who it was, but it was somebody younger than Candace Bergen.

You want to see a current show that does a ton of skin defocus and beauty treatments, watch Grace & Frankie with Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  13. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

"When 900 years old you are, look as good, you will not." :D

- Kevin

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, Yoda had some work done, too.

And let me say that Candace Bergen is a very fine actress and a total pro -- she was fantastic in many episodes of Boston Legal I worked on. Very talented woman. I hope her show does well, but I think it'll be a tough battle.

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

She was in SPIDER-MAN:HOMECOMING just last year. Still a handsome woman imo.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

I wonder if Lily Tomlin will return to the show.

17. MikaelaArsenault

Did you like any of the other cast members besides Candace?

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was only on the set twice but everybody got along very well. Very good show, producers were great, actors really on their toes. I have been on shows that went horribly wrong, including cases where cast members were replaced and/or writers & producers were fired. It's been said that "a smooth set often makes bad TV," so sometimes the tension and stress creates better shows. The worst one I know of was Grace Under Fire, maybe followed by Martin -- both very difficult shows were people quit/fired every other episode. Not fun.

19. MikaelaArsenault

What was your exact job back then?

krock2009 likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, from the start wife and I both said to each other, 'they're doing something here to their faces'. Martin Sheen definitely has had work done, tho

krock2009 likes this.
  21. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Pay particular attention at :52:

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On that show, just dailies and temp color, assisting the main colorist on that show, Andy Lichtstein at Complete Post/Hollywood. I was a staff colorist there on many projects for about 22 years, during which time they merged with Technicolor. Sitcoms were a big part of our jobs during those years.

Dan C, krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Exclusive: See first official cast photo from 'Murphy Brown' revival

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Corky is still a doll

25. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The original show was fun to watch at the time, but it suffered in syndication because it took the fast road by making jokes relevant to current events and places and not try to be more timeless. Although it never made it past a Season 1 DVD set (mainly due to music licensing, I'm guessing), I would say many jokes on that show would pass over some people's heads today, and I don't think the show fared well in syndication, and would likely have not on DVD, appealing mostly to people who lived in that time. I suspect the same formula will be used for this show, using events of the day, taking on obvious targets for jokes.

krock2009 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.