Your Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 9, 2017.

1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I noticed my B&N had Silence of the Lambs in the New Release section, and not with the other Criterions.

I wish someone had been working in the Movie section. I couldn't find the BDs I wanted that their website said they had.

hubertfarnsworth and longdist01 like this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I’d like to see them have a section of Blu-ray and another section of DVDs. It’s a bummer when you see a title released but they only have the DVD version.

3. The Hud

Me too. I thought they had Midnight Cowboy on BD, but it was the DVD version.

4. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I just picked up some for the sale:
    Vampyr
    Virgin Suicides
    Silence of the Lambs
    Stalker
    Ugetsu
    Dead Man

I may add a few more before the sale is out. I completely forgot about their release of Night of the Living dead until I saw it mentioned here, so I may get that. Thinking about picking up Lady Snowblood, Bottle Rocket, The Killing and Red Beard as well.

hubertfarnsworth and stepeanut like this.
  5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Just picked up Dead Man and Coffee and Cigarettes. Jarmusch faves. The extra features are poor to non- existant (Gary Farmer's (Nobody) recollections on Dead Man special features are interesting). That film, especially, remains intriguing to watch. Each time I view it it seems to be about something else. It seems now to be about a man (and men) in perpetual limbo, halfway between life and death; about men not fully committed to living and (therefore) afraid to die. It's a sort of poetic evocation of most people's lives, really; Jarmusch puts it right in your face.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Claus LH, woody and hubertfarnsworth like this.
  6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

The B&N I usually shop at got 6 copies of the Dietrich/von Sternberg BD box set yesterday (day of release). All 6 copies were gone by midday, according to a friend who'd been there later in the day. When I checked the website this morning, I was surprised to see that it was now showing up as available in-store. I happened to be in the area this afternoon, and figured I'd drop by. No BD copies anywhere, but when I saw a copy of the DVD set I checked the website again and realized that I'd inadvertently been viewing in-store availability for the DVD version, not the BD version.

7. The Hud

I may have done the same thing. I will check again next week. No real urgency, as Amazon has a lot of Criterion BDs for $23 most of the time.

8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Blu-rays
    3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg
    The 39 Steps
    The 400 Blows
    America Lost and Found: the BBS Story
    Anatomy Of a Murder
    Black Narcissus
    Brazil
    Che
    The Complete Jacques Tati
    The Complete Jean Vigo
    Les Cousins
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
    Days Of Heaven
    Fish Tank
    Following
    The Game
    Howards End
    If...
    Island Of Lost Souls
    Ivan’s Childhood
    Kagemusha
    The Last Temptation Of Christ
    Letters Never Sent
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
    M
    The Man Who Knew Too Much [1934]
    Marketa Lazarova
    My Life As a Dog
    Pina
    On the Waterfront
    Paths of Glory
    Picnic At Hanging Rock
    The Passion Of Joan of Arc
    Rashomon
    A Room with a View
    Rosemary’s Baby
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Rushmore
    Seven Samurai
    The Seventh Seal
    Tess
    The Three Colors Trilogy
    Tiny Furniture
    To Be or Not To Be
    Traffic
    White Material
    Wings of a Desire

DVDs
    All That Heaven Allows
    Armageddon
    Belle de Jour
    The Cranes Are Flying
    The Deceivers [Merchant Ivory Collection]
    Do The Right Thing
    Fanny & Alexander
    Hearts and Minds
    The Hit
    The Killers
    Larisa Shepitko [Eclipse Series]
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    Lord Of the Flies
    Man Bites Dog
    Maurice [Merchant Ivory Collection]
    The Most Dangerous Game
    The Naked Kiss
    Oliver Twist
    Ran
    Shock Corridor
    Short Cuts
    Spartacus
    Time Bandits

9. The Hud

Found Midnight Cowboy BD! It was hiding on the bottom row of the new releases.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't have a lot.

Chungking Express blu-ray
    The Third Man blu-ray
    Yojimbo/Sanjuro blu-ray
    The Seven Samurai blu-ray
    The Beastie Boys DVD
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being DVD

11. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Picked up these Criterion BDs on sale day #1 - new releases plus others I'd tried to find during past B&N Criterion sales:

Being There
    The Gold Rush
    Midnight Cowboy
    Modern Times
    Something Wild (1986)

12. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

Yesterday's Criterion blu-ray haul

Dietrich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood
    Moonrise
    The Awful Truth
    The Virgin Spring
    Le Samourai
    King of Jazz
    Midnight Cowboy

13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

14. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I wonder why Criterion is taking so long to put out real 4k titles

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah!

Glad I haven't bought 'Virgin Spring' on BluRay yet. That's $40 I've saved so far! At this rate, I'll be rolling in dough by the end of the year! :eek: Oh, wait, does it include the full TV version of 'Scenes From A Marriage' or am I gonna have to buy that one also? Oh, and 'Torment' isn't here, so I guess I need to hold on to the Eclipse DVD box. And the bonus disc from the MGM DVD set.

But, seriously, this looks all kinds of awesome. Day one purchase for sure. And they didn't even make us wait until the 15th to find out about it!

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Bought two blu-ray packages for the sale, only because it's the only way I'm going to be able to see one, and best way to watch the other...
    Terrence Malik's The New World, and
    Laurie Anderson's Heart of a Dog

17. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I guess i wasted my money on Virgin Spring, and somewhat on all the other Bergman Criterions, but I don't care, I want it!!

18. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Wow. I have only three Bergmans on ‘C’ as I was longing for someone to finally drop the hammer and make a monster box for a man who so richly deserves it....and there it is.
    My three individual Bergmans will be heading for EBay rather soon...:)

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

False alarm - both versions are included. Sigh of relief.

BOX SET CONTENT

OPENING NIGHT:

Smiles of a Summer Night (1955)

Crisis (1946)
    A Ship to India (1947)

Wild Strawberries (1957)

To Joy (1950)
    Summer Interlude (1951)

Summer with Monika (1953)

Dreams (1955)
    A Lesson in Love (1954)

CENTERPIECE ONE:

Scenes from a Marriage-
    Television version (1973) | U.S. theatrical version (1974)
    Saraband (2003)

From the Life of the Marionettes (1980)
    Hour of the Wolf (1968)

Shame (1968)
    The Passion of Anna (1969)

Fårö Document (1970)
    Fårö Document 1979 (1979)

Through a Glass Darkly (1961)
    Winter Light (1963)
    The Silence (1963)

The Virgin Spring (1960)

CENTERPIECE TWO:

The Seventh Seal (1957)

The Devil's Eye (1960)
    All These Women (1964)

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953)
    The Rite (1969)

The Magician (1958)

The Magic Flute (1975)
    After the Rehearsal (1984)

The Touch (1971)
    The Serpent's Egg (1977)

CENTERPIECE THREE:

Persona (1966)

Thirst (1949)
    Port of Call (1948)

Cries and Whispers (1972)

Waiting Women (1952)
    Brink of Life (1958)

Autumn Sonata (1978)

CLOSING NIGHT:

Fanny and Alexander- Television version (1983) | Theatrical version (1982)

[​IMG]

johnnyyen and Claus LH like this.
  20. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

If this is how “physical media is dying”, then please bring on more end-of-times boxes like this one (I am mostly kidding, but not entirely...)

Mr. H and 93curr like this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm guessing the next one (after we all have time to give our credit cards some breathing room) will either be a huge Fassbinder set or a BluRay edition of the Kurosawa box. With any luck, they might do one of these a year. Just hopefully not always at the same time as the King Crimson boxes come out. With no money left in December, it's getting tiresome having to pick fights with everyone I know just so I don't have to spend money on gifts.

Mr. H and Claus LH like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

beautiful set, but I am not a fan of the placement of the BDs.

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Whilst I would love to see a comprehensive Fassbinder box set, I fear his commercial appeal is much more selective than that of Ingmar Bergman; I just can’t see it happening on this scale. Bergman has always been one of Criterion’s, and world cinema’s, sacred cows, and they have a convenient anniversary (Bergman’s 100th birthday) to hitch their wagon to here. Fassbinder is very much the enfant terrible of world cinema, and he still polarises opinion to this day.

I believe the Fassbinder Foundation owns the rights to most (not sure about all) of his oeuvre, so that shouldn’t be a problem, but I understand they are far from completing restorations on everything. If, and it’s a big if, Criterion were serious about a Fassbinder box set, it won’t happen on the timescale you mention.

A Kurosawa upgrade is more likely, IMO. Shame that particular 100th anniversary has passed, so a change of title would now be necessary. The lack of a BD release was bemoaned by many at the time, but the commercial viability of such a set is still a possibility in 2018/2019.

The Bergman set looks lovely, btw. I’m tempted to pick it up at some point.

93curr likes this.
  24. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I was happy to get these today. All three a great addition to my library. The Lodger, The Man Who
    Knew Too Much, Midnight Cowboy.
    [​IMG]
    Question for you all. Since there are other companies putting out stellar versions of movies like
    Criterion, should we start threads for them or just expand this title to "Your Criterion Collection &
    Other Stellar Releases"? The ones I'm referring to are Powerhouse/Indicator, Twilight Time, etc..

25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I’ve resisted doing so because I believe there isn’t sufficient interest here. Most of the best boutique labels are British, and most of our members are American. Many here display ignorance, even fear, about importing BDs and DVDs. Not everyone, of course, but many.

To a lesser degree, we have the same attitude in the U.K. I know people with huge BD collections — bigger than mine — who refuse to go region-free.

Anyway, my favourite label by far is Eureka’s Masters of Cinema range. I’ve mentioned them before on these forums and received little or no response.

Indicator put out great quality editions of films I am mostly ambivalent about. Hence, I own fewer than ten of their releases.

Twilight Time have an odd business model. They also make it incredibly expensive to import, so I have to really like a film, and believe it’s not coming from one of the U.K. boutiques (which often it is) before I’ll bite. Their Peckinpah BDs are really nice, and I bought the last couple of Woody Allen releases.

Dave Garrett and Claus LH like this.