New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought the song New was the weakest track on the album New, and I think that Come On To Me and I Don’t Know are both much better songs than New.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

For me to weakest track was Save Us aka Save The Ass. New worked for me better than the other three singles off of the album.

Yorick, scoostraw, theMess and 2 others like this.
  3. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

That's where you're WRONG, Bemagnus!!!

If, when it comes out, I dont listen to it, my life would be different, since my life doesn't consist of listening to it if I don't listen to it!!! :)crazy:)
    Therefore, number 4 is almost totally invalid! ;):cussing::magoo:

Bemagnus and Dr. Pepper like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok I stand corrected.
    :)

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Bard to dispute that logic, hard to understand it too!

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

In places where no one listens to the radio, McCartney is KILLING it on radio!

[​IMG]

Yorick, Hep Alien, planckera and 2 others like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

About the discussion about Paul doin most of the instrumentation himself or using his band.
    Personally Im fine with both ways depending on song and other circumstances. McCartney 1 and 2 are as far as I know the only album were he does everything(apart from some voice from Linda) but Chaos is an example were he does a lot but add some with full band,orchestrations and band. All three of these belong to my very favorite Paul listening pleasures. On lot s of other albums there are many songs were he does pretty much everything that are outstanding. Not to mention Band on the Run were both Denny and Linda contribute but Paul handles the drums in a pleasant way
    On the other hand-recording with a band can add other dynamics like Run Devil Run and lot s of great Wings stuff. It can also be generic and boring-Off the Ground is not all that fun in my book.
    Paul is a very versatile allround-musician and a real expert in using studio-technique so I believe that what we know so far about Egypt station with his band on a few tracks and different use of orchestrations plus Paul doin lot s of things himself has proven to be a succesful aproach.
    Also-Im happy he doesn t follow the path of many other aging artists and invite younger popular singers to duet. Commercially perhaps it would have been smart to do duets with Ed Sheeran or Beyonce but I prefer Pure McCartney. The man is a stable genius-given he has composed good songs it will be fine any way or the other. For me with a slight advantage of Paul doin lit s of stuff himself
    :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I'm dreading and hoping simultaneously. New was crushing for me; the first Paul album- other than Choba- I didn't buy. Other than the title track - which got old quickly - I didn't think a single track was passable Macca. It made me wish he really is Bill Sheperd. And I was pretty psyched for it at the time, having thought My Valentine and Only Our Hearts from Kisses were his strongest tunes in a long time. I guess I was happy that others seemed to like it, though.

I do like I Don't Know. I don't know how much:D, but maybe enough for it to be a lower tier track on a 2018 80-year olds Beatle album. Come on to Me is just a crude chant, though it is playful.

And it surely is quite unfair to hope that an almost 80-year old guy is going to come close to the work of his twenties.

angelees and klaatuhf like this.
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

See also: Band On The Run, Tug Of War, Flaming Pie, Memory Almost Full, New, Electric Arguments...all of those albums would be something like 70-80% of McCartney playing all the instruments with the other 30% other players filling in the blanks (usually specific parts or instruments McCartney can't play himself). It seems to me that with the exception of Driving Rain and Run Devil Run just about every album Paul has made since Off The Ground has been made with him playing the majority of the instruments himself, including the drums. I'll tell ya, Bemagnus, reading @backseat 's Recording Sessions book was a real eyeopener for me as far just how much Paul does do himself in the studio, a helluva lot more than I originally thought and one man band guy that I am finding out made me appreciate those records that much more:righton:

10. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

Nancy should rock Paul's "Strawberry Fields" jacket, if he still has it. I always thought it was pretty sweet. The only video I've seen it in it's Big Barn Bed on the James Paul McCartney special, and some early wings photos. Apparently popular at the time. Oh, and don't forget the moon boots.

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That book from our fellow member is a real gem. This one-band thing is-I guesd-Paul gettin stuff exactley like he wants them in the studio. His knowledge and skills in the studio is one of the things I guess is challenging for the producer. According to the Kurstin Interview Paul was open to suggestions even though he didn't t react immediately. It s not know how and skill Paul need because he is second to none in that department. He needs a second opinion he can trust.
    My feeling is that Paul with age is a bit less overwhelming in gettin things his way and a bit more open to creative input from others. Given that his first collaborator was no less than John Lennon it s kind of understandable. It s like starting the journey on the top of the mountain.
    As far as I'm concerned he has managed that journey pretty well but sometimes I'd guess Paul like the rest of us benefit from outside opnions.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Hep Alien, Tord and ohnothimagen like this.
  12. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I want a Rolling Wings jacket.

13. This may be old stuff for those following the charts, or I missed it, generally, but here’s a report on his singles. In the story they give a “July 11 ranking”.
    Hope it’s useful.

Carpool Karaoke' Drives Paul McCartney & The Beatles Onto Hot Rock Songs Chart
    [​IMG]
    Sir Paul McCartney performs onstage during the iHeartRadio Music Festival at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Sept. 21, 2013 in Las Vegas.
    Christopher Polk/Getty Images for Clear Channel
    7/6/2018 by Kevin Rutherford
    Both of his new solo songs debut, while The Beatles' 'Let It Be' arrives after his jaunt with James Corden.

Paul McCartney returns to Billboard's Hot Rock Songs chart, snagging his first top 25 hit as a solo artist on the July 11-dated ranking, following a busy week that saw him release two new solo songs and perform Beatles classics on the latest edition of James Corden's Carpool Karaoke series on June 21.

McCartney ranks highest on Hot Rock Songs via The Beatles' 1970 Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 "Let It Be," which debuts at No. 18; older songs are able to re-enter the Hot 100 or its corresponding genre-based hybrid charts, like Hot Rock Songs, if they have meaningful reasons for their return and rank in a chart's top half.

After McCartney performed "Let It Be" on Carpool Karaoke with Corden, it debuted thanks to 1.5 million U.S. streams (a 68 percent gain) and 10,000 downloads sold (up 973 percent) in the week ending June 28, according to Nielsen Music.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm really intrigued by the caveat I've highlighted. What on earth does THAT mean?

Paperback Writer and MsMaclen like this.
  17. I can only guess it means if an old song is featured at an event, in a soundtrack or on a TV show - then charts? In this case - Let It Be, being sung on Carpool K.

18. It’s Dennis O’Dell!

Bemagnus and Hep Alien like this.
  19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Could that mean that songs with similar that are accidentally accessed through Spotify should not be counted? For instance a band called The Sheepdogs have an unrelated song from 2011 called I Don't Know. Surely that has generated some accidentally plays in the last 3 weeks - should those plays alter the charts?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

He's done that, what he hasn't done is give his band a full album of new material to really stretch their wings!

What would an album filled with him and his band's identity sound like, we still don't know? We've heard some glimpses here and there, but what would the total package sound like? I'd like to hear this band really put to work on brand new material, an album that really focuses on them and what they can bring, an album that really gives them the directive to create new music with McCartney's ideas. A real band involved album.

We know all about McCartney's one man band approach, It would be very interesting to hear what he could really do with an album totally utilizing this band?
    It's still the thing McCartney hasn't done yet, and hasn't done in years!

gja586 likes this.
  21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Driving Rain, no?

Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well, his band is on half a dozen of the tracks on Memory Almost Full and quite a few of the songs on New also, so I think we've had more than "glimpses".

Paul apparently is comfortable using his band on songs where he thinks they will be beneficial and not using them on other songs.

As a big fan of Paul's music and a big Paul booster I would think you would accede to his judgement rather than second guessing him all the time.

Paul H, supermd, Bemagnus and 6 others like this.
  23. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Okay, it‘s Friday evening in Europe and we still haven‘t heard anything from our French member here who wanted to post about his experiences listening to all of „Egypt Station“.

There are several possible reasons:
    - His contact persons got cold feet in the last second.
    - His had a chance to listen to the album and was afterwards abducted by secret MPL employees.
    - The album is so absolutely fantastic that he‘s lost for words.
    - The album is so absolutely bad that he‘s lost for words.
    - The album is being delayed until early 2019.

24. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I think Paul's touring band is pretty good. I've liked the shows I've seen and the recordings they are part of. But for me personally I'd rather just hear Paul do his thing at this point. He has a special approach when he is alone. In fact... more than anything I'd rather have an album of just Paul alone without a producer and limited to 8 tracks or so and see what he could do these days. Or even just a piano, an acoustic guitar and a bass. It'll never happen... but that would be the album I'd want from him.

supermd, theMess, Brendan K and 4 others like this.
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

What is this... radio.. you speak of..? o_O

theMess, Frank and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.