Dire Straits SACDs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by NiceMrMustard, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I pre-ordered a few from Acoustic Sounds last fall. And the website STILL says release date TBD. What is the hold up? And why list on the websites so far in advance if there is no known release date. Elusive Disc has the same notation. (This is for the non Brothers in Arms SACDs).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

MFSL's typical near vapor-ware. While most will eventually appear some do not. Not sure who exactly benefits from MFSL announcing efforts ofttimes years in advance, but at least for me I find it irritating.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

It is a bit of a pipe dream at this point but Amazon has a release date of 7/31/18 for the DS MoFi 45rpm releases (not sure about the SACD's). I have to admit I'm kind of holding my breath.

5. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath. I remember late last year Amazon had a 12/31/17 release date for Rickie Lee Jones Mobile Fidelity SACD. Of course it was never released, and has finally been officially cancelled.

6. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I notice that both the SACD and the vinyl of Alan Parson's I Robot are awaiting repress. For whatever reason, the manufacturing facilities must be backed up, hence the delay of any titles.

7. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I don't think it is because of backups at the SACD plants. Other labels aren't having issues, like Dutton Vocalion and IR.

bruce2 likes this.
  8. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

I know they may never be released, but if they are and they as are good as the BIA MoFi 45rpm it will have been well worth the wait.

Joti Cover likes this.
  9. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

Bit of new info (or maybe non-info) depends on how you look at it. I have had the Mofi Dire Straits 45 RPM's pre ordered from Music Direct for several months. I also had a package of MoFi inner sleeves on the same order. The order was marked to ship only when all items were available. Then last week I got an email stating that my order had shipped, but when I checked it was only the inner sleeves. So I called MD and asked them why a portion of my order had been shipped seemingly out of the blue. Did this mean the Mofi pre orders had been canceled, I asked.

For what it's worth the MD rep told me that the inner sleeves must have been shipped by mistake. According to her the Mofi DS 45RPM'S have NOT been canceled. I then asked if she had any new info on when they would be released. She said she would check with MD's "Buyer" (the person in charge of purchasing I guess). The next day I got an email the said they did not have a release date but they where expecting them to by released early this fall.

So there you have it the latest non-info on the DS Mofi's. I don't know if it is the same for the SACD's.

Joti Cover, bruce2 and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have a bunch of sacds from Japan one of which Love Over Gold dates from 2011.
    Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

I would be interested in what folk think of these sacds from Japan.
    I have the MFSL sacds on pre order but who knows when or if.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Flaming Torch likes this.
  12. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

FWIW, the 45rpm I Robot is available again.

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks MYKE. I really only wanted to know about the Dire Straits ones and on other searches never seemed to find much out. I have quite a few sacds from Japan which are often very good in my opinion but they are a bit expensive although cheaper for me in the UK than MFSL, Audio Fidelity,and AP.
    Re Dire Straits it is a nice small studio album catalogue.
    13 pages of threads should keep me busy whilst I am at coffee in the English countryside.

Myke likes this.
  14. NiceMrMustard

Still waiting....(in the immortal words of David Byrne).......
    Online retailers should do away with the "To Be Announced" nonsense. If there is not a hard date, don't list it.

nick99nack likes this.
  15. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think they put out some of these pre-orders as pure market research.

16. I purchased one of the first Dire Straits CD's in Europe. It and 4 other CD's and one of 5 CD players that arrived in Denmark in 1982. I've had Dire straits Brothers in Arms SACD for years and as one of my all time favorite groups, the wait for the other albums is unbearable.

I too agree that they shouldn't be allowed to say, "expected on**** date"!

clhboa and Dan Steele like this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Which Brothers In Arms SACD?

18. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

When I was at Music Direct last month picking up a new turntable I was told that the MoFi Dire Straits SACD's had been approved by the artist and label, but not the vinyl.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wonder why the SACDs were approved by Dire Straits (Mark Knopfler?) and the label but not the vinyl?

20. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

There's the answer right there as to the reason the SACDs haven't come out yet. They're probably sitting right there in the warehouse waiting for the vinyl to be issued first. Same thing that Analogue Productions does. And Audio Fidelity did it too with Eddie & The Cruisers.

21. NiceMrMustard

End of November 2018 and still "Date TBA" on Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct websites. Music Direct's new catalog lists the SACDs as if they are available. This is getting ridiculous.

Dan Steele likes this.
  22. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

True! Although music direct had the opportunity to de-emphasize Dire Straits in their new catalogue this month... and made the decision to take up ad space and advertise the SACDs as forthcoming anyway. So: no release-date promises, alas, but still a small sign of continued MFSL commitment to the project. So there's that. Better than a sharp stick in the eye! :)

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Isn’t it a 2019 catalog?

24. KevinG

KevinG Well-Known Member

I believe MD gets the MFSL pressings first

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Music Direct and Mobile Fidelity have the same ownership, share many resources, and are essentially the same company. So they get them simultaneously.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.