Terminator: Dark Fate*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

There’s “formidable” and then there’s “formulaic”. Cameron’s work has been immensely successful in the short term, no doubt, but little of it has much in the way of longevity. Titanic and Terminator, that is really all he has that has proven staying power. For the billions that it made, I hear very, very few people talk about Avatar anymore. He makes big budget, but ultimately disposeable junk. He’ll wind up being a footnote in history, just like all of the authors that outsold Herman Melville back in the 19th.

Kiko1974 and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

HAHAHAHAHA, you must have Cameron confusend with Michael Bay or JJ Abrams!

FVDnz, SandAndGlass, Rasputin and 2 others like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

People still talk about many of James' films, it's just that Avatar isn't the one they talk about.

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Which ones other than the ones I mentioned? True Lies? The Abyss? Piranha II: The Spawning? His Dark Angel TV series? For a guy that has been in the business approaching 40 years he really doesn’t have much to show as a director.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Wish they had a thumbs down button....anyhow I wouldn't mind this on my resume.

Terminator
    Aliens
    The Abyss
    Terminator II
    True Lies
    Titanic

+ Documentaries and TV

Anyone who's followed his career knows that film is not #1 on his list of fun things to do, marine exploration is easily in the top spot.

If anyone is interested.

FVDnz, SandAndGlass and Deesky like this.
  6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Uh, yes. Most people consider hobbies more fun than actual work. Not exactly a groundbreaking discovery there. Anyways, to my point: 8 movies directed over the course of 40 years. One he rejects outright because it is a classic turkey. The other 7 made him and the studio a lot of money, but a lot of money means very little in the way of long term value. True Lies made a lot of money in the early 90s. So did MC Hammer. 6 films of style over substance. The original Terminator is the only one that had an element that actual made you think. Aliens and T2 just copied a set formula and made the set pieces “bigger”. The Abyss, True Lies, and apparently Avatar, are instantly forgettable. The only thing that makes Titanic important is that it is based upon a real event. If it was based on a fictional boat sinking then it would have had only a fraction of the emotional impact. May as well be watching Deep Rising starring Treat Williams, then! lol

DHamilton likes this.
  7. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I was hoping Denis Villeneuve was directing but he is busy with the new Dune film.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  8. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

While I'm rightfully skeptical about a Terminator sequel in anyone's hands this far down the road of that series, I think you're not giving Cameron enough credit for what he has done well. I can't think of any other director with as good a batting average of megahits, and in a relatively wide variety of genres.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I don’t need to give him credit. He already has enough fans willing to give him a surplus of it.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

13. Michael

and we still don't have True Lies on BD! come on release it dammit!

FVDnz, blind_melon1 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She plays Yorkie in my favorite Black Mirror episode, San Junipero. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it. She looks pretty ripped in that Terminator photo.
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

wow, she looks amazingly different...yes, quite ripped! Love it! very impressive.

16. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I don't know why, but I can't help but think Arri Alexa when I see this screen cap.

17. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

18. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

I recommend Halt & Catch Fire, a series about the personal computer universe during the 80's and 90's.

[​IMG]

blind_melon1, Mazzy and Encuentro like this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Tokyo Ghost and Deuce66 like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Ooh, and it's on Netflix! Score!

21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Not too keen on the all female cast as such, but typical of 2018, so it shouldn't be surprising,
    but seems a bit overkill as of late, but predictable I guess.
    Maybe it'll bring chicks into the Terminator world...

DHamilton likes this.
  22. Deuce66

She was also in the movie The Martian and Blade Runner 2049.

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Hearing this from men never fails to make me laugh. "Women? Nah, too many of em."

sunspot42 and Halloween_Jack like this.
  24. Deuce66

What we know of the cast so far according to IMDB

Mackenzie Davis
    Arnold S
    Linda H
    Diego Boneta
    Luna Gabriel
    Natalia Reyes
    Enrique Arce

25. Michael