New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Is that right
    :)

2. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

It's me and the person that got the album, we don't have news for him, maybe he is on holidays. I was hopping to have news soon

theMess, Tord and Bemagnus like this.
  3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

There's probably some make believe intrigue going on. With the Web, you never know if someone is in Egypt, in France, or is his basement. Having said that, I don't know.

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Hope you catch up with him soon,copy the album and send a copy to all of us here so we get something to talk about

flsteve565 likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

This has upset me so much that I'm going to go have a Big Mac and some Freedom Fries!

Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I have a friend whose brothers cousins siblings mothers aunts cousins daughters husbands best friends cousin has access to Egypt Station. Right now I am workin myself through this line of connections to finally get a chance to listen to the album. After that I will inform everywhere here about if the album is good as NEW

7. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

And his producers - most notably Nigel Godrich - also disagree.

And for what it's worth, I do not care for Abe's drumming very much at all. I think it was @Yorick who described it as too heavy-handed for McCartney. I agree. Much of the drumming on Driving Rain I do not like at all.

8. scoostraw

I think at this point if you want to hear Paul with the band, go to a show. IMO the time has passed for him to perform live in the studio with any band. The man can barely sing anymore. It takes a ton of effort to get an acceptable vocal down these days.

Frank likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Abe is a great drummer in the live context-a great showman as well. On the albums I don t think McCartney can have a better drummer than Paul McCartney. It s not about technical skills it s about serving the song. And my a-s if not Pauls has done that to brilliant result from the Beatles days up to now.

10. scoostraw

And that is precisely when his music made a turn for the better IMO.

11. scoostraw

I agree 100%.

flsteve565 and Bemagnus like this.
  12. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

"After planning another world tour, The New World Tour, in 1993, to promote the album, McCartney chose to record Off the Ground with his touring band. Blair Cunningham joined on drums to replace Chris Whitten, who left to join Dire Straits.

McCartney decided to record the album "live in the studio", meaning that the band would rehearse an entire song then record it in one take, instead of recording each vocal track and instrumental track separately. This approach gave a new, raw, direct feel to the work, but was not overly liked by critics"

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Paul's drumming is serviceable but lacks touch and feel that skilled drummers can add. He's shortchanging his songs in my mind. So you know, I'm coming from a musician point of view who is especially sensitive to this as I am a bass player. As you'd expect, the bass keys heavily on the drums. His fills are unimaginative and are missing in key places. While I don't particularly like Abe's overly aggressive style, his drumming certainly elevates a song from Paul's primitive style. But my goodness, even a basic session drummer would have added so much to the Chaos to New songs where Paul laid down the same "wet fish slapping a snare on the 2 and 4" sound. I suspect and hope that Abe (or someone other than Paul) is utilized at least a little bit on Egypt Station. Just my opinion of course.

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I can understand a musicians point of wiew but to me it sounds just fine. Besides that I v seen a few musicians-drummers even-who have given Paul some credit.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  15. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Hmm...Looking at you Arnie! :shtiphat:

DRM likes this.
  16. flsteve565

flsteve565 Forum Resident

I'm in the camp of Abe.... Thought his drumming was of of the bests part of the entire Driving Rain album as a whole. I think he's great in the studio and even better live...

theMess, maccafan and kevintee like this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I don't want to sell it short -- I love Choba -- but it definitely wasn't planned as an album. It just kind of happened -- and I'm glad it did! It restored my faith that Paul could record a stripped down, rocking album -- even if it was covers and not his own songs. First got it as a counterfeit of the Russian LP at Beatlefest in (probably) 1989.

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, Speed Of Sound was my least favorite Wings album so..... :(

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Speed of Sound is also my least favorite album - but Rusty and Brian keep releasing excellent power pop albums as solo and side projects. Abe has an excellent voice, and Wix- well, I don't know. My point is, this is a different band than Wings 1977. I think this collection of musicians encouraged to create a more egalitarian album, could do a fine job.

FKA002 likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Agree 100%!
    No one is saying McCartney doesn't do a good job, but use your real drummer who can do an even better job and really elevate the songs.

Abe is great in the studio and live, that's why different artist use him. I like his singing and his powerful drumming, on many of McCartney's songs the drumming is weak sounding and too far back in the mix, I want a back beat that's thunderous pushing his music.

Exactly my point, give them the chance to shine in the studio, these guys are good, utilize them! Also McCartney wouldn't have to work as hard in the studio, at least not having to play everything on every song or even most songs.

Egypt Station may be absolutely great, as I said, I just hope I'm not left with the thought that it could be even better. We'll see.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not that anyone will care (but Sean might!). CHOBA B CCCP is the title of that album, and you can’t use lower case letters and have it be correct. “h” isn’t in the Russian alphabet, but “H” is (note: it sounds like an English “N”). So always refer to that album in all caps, and you’ll be good. :thumbsup:

The above looks like “choba”, when the actual sound is “SNOva” (first syllable emphasis) - very different!

[/Rant]

It’s SNOva Veh Ess Ess Ess Err, if you really want to show off! :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Rob Hughes, supermd, Yorick and 9 others like this.
  22. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

We're straying seriously off-topic here, but I agree that RDR is one of Paul's truly great albums. He turned a collection of often-obscure covers and turned into a remarkable musical statement. No Other Baby, Lonesome Town, Honey Hush and Shake a Hand, to pick some obvious examples, are breathtaking.

Paul H, Bemagnus, Dr. Pepper and 4 others like this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Interesting. It's been one of favorite McCartney albums for years.

theMess likes this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It wasn't entirely covers...this great McCartney original was relegated to b-side territory, and probably his most convincing blues song.

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...and the excellent "Fabulous", which ended up as a b-side. I wonder what other gems are in the vault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.