Springsteen on Broadway Taping July 18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwis206, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member Thread Starter

A special by-invitation-only performance of Springsteen on Broadway is set for 3 o'clock or so on Wednesday July 18 at the Walter Kerr Theatre. I know this because my cousin got the invite +1. My cousin got the invite from someone she knows in Bruce's camp. I am not the +1 :( I don't know who will be doing the taping.

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Oh man...
    And I was just about to congratulate you!

forthlin and jwis206 like this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Please don't let it be Jon Altschiller!! :eek:

4. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

Interesting. According to BTX its being filmed.

5. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

Interesting, the OP said it was being taped all the way above. BTX is a cesspool.

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Well...the DVD will save me about a grand in tickets, hotels, meals, etc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Terry, Mr. D and masterbucket like this.
  7. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

8. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Now that the Netflix show has been announced I wonder if we'll get an official CD or Nugs audio release?

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Is Nerflix becoming the new CNN?

10. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

What color '67 Mustang is your cousin's favorite.

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Had a listen to a few tracks on Spotify. (I am using this thread as the one about the CD and vinyl release got shut down).

My first impression is that the stark presentation does highlight Bruce's vocal limitations these days, but then he is almost 70. Still. Nice version of Tougher. I think Patti's vibrato has deteriorated too. She has less control over it (and I know some people could never stand it in the first place).

I am tending to skip the spoken tracks - I will wait to watch the Netflix version.

I haven't even received the CD yet but I am already thinking I am unlikely to put it in heavy rotation. I love the Bruce solo releases in the archive series, but this is not a strong entry. YMMV.

12. Daysleeper95

Daysleeper95 New Member

I wouldn't chalk up the gruffness of his voice to his age... I think it's more to do with the nature of this show. Five nights a week, over two hours of singing and talking, often loudly because he tells stories and occasionally sings away from the microphone. I saw the show twice in February, and his voice was decidedly smoother both nights than it is on the recording. But hey, is that what we really go to Bruce for? I'd say his voice is much more elastic and dynamic overall now than it was on the BTR and Darkness tours.

13. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

Netflix special will be up in less than 12 hours. It's set to start streaming at Midnight here in California.

linclink likes this.
  14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Robert Christgau's belated review of the live album in the latest Consumer Guide:

Bruce Springsteen: Springsteen on Broadway (Columbia) Always averse to shelling out major bucks for a Broadway show, me and my gal were happy to catch this one on Netflix—in two sittings, true, but when I streamed the audio version a month or two later I found myself listening with minimal zone-out for two-and-a-half hours straight. So I bought the budget-priced double CD, and though it was a while before I felt like sticking disc one in the changer, just a few minutes passed before I added disc two and listened through yet again. Never big on extended spoken-word material or solo-acoustic remakes of exalted songbooks, I'm impressed. The Springsteen this most recalls isn't like any earlier album but the 2016 autobiography he called Born to Run for better reasons than you might imagine. Like that fast-reading 508-pager, its aim is to simultaneously depict and demythologize the Jersey shore and poke major holes in an authenticity it reconceives at a truer level of complexity—on his first cross-country car trip, the guy who would soon write "Racing in the Street" had to learn to drive from scratch when the guy who was supposed to ride shotgun disappeared in Tennessee. Like the book, this ends where it begins—at the huge old copper beech tree that anchored his childhood, except that since he last visited the county has cut it to the street. Springsteen being Springsteen, he swears "some essential piece of it was still there"—and being Springsteen, convinces you that that's his truth even if it isn't your kind of thing. A

Daryl M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.