Your Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

(Quote by stepeanut): I’ve resisted doing so because I believe there isn’t sufficient interest here. Most of the best boutique labels are British, and most of our members are American. Many here display ignorance, even fear, about importing BDs and DVDs. Not everyone, of course, but many. (End Quote)

I don't know why people don't do it if they collect movies. The players aren't any more expensive than any other piece of gear of halfway decent quality, and they gives you valuable options (both in terms of choice and price) when it comes to collecting discs.
    You are no longer stuck with the idea, psychologically, that US releases are 'the only discs you can play' so your whole outlook changes.
    Currently I have about 30 Criterions; I also have about 30 Masters of Cinema, and the latter is the backbone of my silents collection. Another 12 or so discs are on the way from Britain as we speak.
    Also, you get access to smaller European and Asian labels who may have something no one else will put out.

Twilight Time I may buy (if interested) when I get their sale e-mails, or when the same master of the film shows up in Britain and is put out there. This is partly where the flexibility of 'international' comes in.

Example of what world-wide discs can do: I recently got two silent Ozu films that have not, to my knowledge, been put out with English inter-titles in the West. They were Japanese DVD releases, re-published in France with English titling....good luck playing that concoction on a "US-only" player...:)

But back on track with the thread...I WANT THE BERGMAN BOX!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Dave Garrett and stepeanut like this.
  2. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

For the "C" sale I was only going to order the Chaplin films, but then something happened.....:wtf: ;)

Barry Lyndon
    City Lights
    Passion Of Joan Of Arc
    Eraserhead
    Eyes Without a Face
    Insignificance
    King of Jazz
    Modern Times
    Gold Rush
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
    Walkabout
    Mulholland Dr.

stepeanut likes this.
  3. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Oh hell, I just threw in the Dietrich/von Sternberg box set as well...my wife will be out of the country when all of this starts arriving....:angel:

stepeanut likes this.
  4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You’ve had that ages, right?

audiomixer and Claus LH like this.
  5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Why of course. ALL my discs were bought years ago...

audiomixer and stepeanut like this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Don't toss out your 'Seventh Seal' BluRays quite yet. Looks as if the 'Bergman Island' bonus feature won't be included on the box set. Along with a few other of the features.

Claus LH likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

What an incredible box set.

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

it's like a film school in a box. I hope they do more of these.

johnnyyen likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I was wondering about that. The old Kurasawa box doesn't have any special features, and neither does the Olympics box set.

10. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've never ordered anything from Barnes & Noble. This seems like a pretty good time to start. Anyone have any success using the Criterion sale for a Canadian address?

12. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I appreciate your views but I was thinking from the perspective that this site is worldwide so we could let each other know what's out there. If something was released in the US & not the UK, at least the people in the UK will know something could be coming their way. I buy import movies like I buy import music. When it's great, I want it & am willing to buy it even if it were an import. I'm sure others here feel the same way. I also figured by expanding the thread title, the restored classics from companies other than Criterioon can get some attention that they deserve,

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I hope you're right. This is what I referring to:

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

Digital transfer (box set edition); new, restored high-definition digital transfer (two-DVD and Blu-ray editions), with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
    Introduction by Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003 (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
    Audio commentary by Bergman expert Peter Cowie, with a new afterword on the two-DVD and Blu-ray editions
    Bergman Island (2006), an 83-minute documentary on Bergman by Marie Nyreröd, featuring in-depth and revealing interviews with the director (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
    Archival audio interview with Max von Sydow (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
    A 1989 tribute to Bergman by filmmaker Woody Allen (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
    Theatrical trailer
    Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie (two-DVD and Blu-ray only)
    An annotated, illustrated Bergman filmography, featuring excerpts from Wild Strawberries and The Magician with commentary (box set only)
    Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
    New and improved English subtitle translation
    PLUS: A new essay by Cowie (box set edition); a booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Giddins (two-DVD and Blu-ray editions)
    New cover by Neil Kellerhouse (two-DVD and Blu-ray editions); new cover by Gordon Reynolds (box set edition)

15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I’ve let people know “what’s out there” in the past, and I’ve invariably been met with disinterest, or comments along the lines of, “I can’t play that in the U.S.” Supposed big fans, who have been waiting years for a particular film to be released, suddenly aren’t interested when they have to invest a little money and a modicum of effort to go region-free.

There are literally dozens of new releases around the world every week, from documentaries to schlock horror films. I don’t think it’s practical to list them all here as some sort of public service. There are more appropriate places designed specifically for that purpose, e.g. DVDBeaver, Blu-ray.com. Those who are interested, and equipped appropriately, will seek out the information.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m with you 100% on importing titles from around the world. But, if we start flooding this thread with worldwide release schedules, it will only serve to confuse and annoy the majority.

I tell you what, I’ll start a new thread right now. I’ll call it The Worldwide Region-Free DVD and Blu-ray Disc Thread. Please, come and contribute.

EDIT - here we go:

The Worldwide Region-Free DVD and Blu-ray Disc Thread

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  16. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I always tell myself when the sale comes, “this time I’m gonna crazy”, but then only end up buying 3 or 4. Well, this time, I made good and went crazy. I’ve spent about $400 so far. I might be done, I might buy a couple more. We’ll see. My purchases so far:

Stalker
    Ugetsu
    Virgin Suicides
    Dead Man
    Vampyr
    Silence of the Lambs
    In a Lonely Place
    Mulholland Drive
    Night of the Living Dead
    Naked
    The Killing
    Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Before Trilogy
    John Cassavetes box set.

The Hud and stepeanut like this.
  17. The Hud

I just watched the Criterion Silence of the Lambs BD this week, and it looks amazing. You won't be disappointed. The Commentary is top notch as well.

18. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Watching movies with the commentary is something I always SAY I want to do more of, but I rarely do. It’s just so hard to find enough time to watch them regularly. I have some Criterions with 3 separate commentary tracks! That’s a lot of re-watching!

19. The Hud

I don't have much time for it either nowadays. This was my first Commentary in a few years at least.

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My final two purchases for this sale. 3:10 To Yuma & Rebecca.
    [​IMG]

deadbirdie likes this.
  21. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Zatoichi box set and Jacques Tati box set is what I bought.

Mr. H and stepeanut like this.
  22. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yes. A few years ago and just in the last two weeks. Everything went as smooth as can be.

93curr likes this.
  23. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Picked up some more titles at B&N this weekend;
    Breathless
    Bull Durham
    The Virgin Suicides
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle
    Election
    The Breakfast Club
    3 Women
    Something Wild(1986)

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Posted by damorton over at the BluRay.com forum:

All previously released titles will retain their supplements. We have added a few more supplements to the titles that are being upgraded from DVD to Bluray: A FILM TRILOGY: THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY, WINTER LIGHT and THE SILENCE, and THE MAGIC FLUTE.

Some of the essays in the Bergman box book have been slightly re-edited. A few titles have newly commissioned essays (THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY, WINTER LIGHT, THE SILENCE), or they have been revised due to their pairing with another title to create a double feature (SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE/SARABAND; SAWDUST AND TINSEL/THE RITE; TO JOY/THIRST; CRISIS/A SHIP TO INDIA), to name a few.

I hope this is helpful!
    Jon Mulvaney

So it looks like everyone's safe to sell off, give away or toss down the gabage chute their old copies (though, obviously, not the MGM DVDs or the 'Early Bergman' Eclipse set)

25. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Hey, my final two as well :righton: