Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I don't disagree with anything said here

rontoon and PDK like this.
  2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Hey Buddy- how bout them Caps!

Animals will be awesome in 5.1, but what little I know about you I woulda guessed Bitches Brew in quad would be the one to get you to pull the surround trigger.

And you don't need fancy equipment. Just get 5 decent bookshelves, a decent sub (if you desire), an old Oppo universal player and an old AVR w/ 5.1 analog inputs and you're good to go. Can easily do for under $1K and you'll have a nice way to sample surround. It may not be for you- or you may find it addicting. I find it's breathes new life; overheard faves become almost like new again.

3. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Get the Pink Floyd The Early Years: 1970 Devi/ation box, it has AHM in the original 4.0 Quad.

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I just ordered it. Thanks

5. jesusdejesus

jesusdejesus New Member

I have a quick question for the group regarding Animals. I have the pink vinyl and pink cover French import, but mine has an anomaly on the back cover that I haven't seen. Perhaps the group has an idea. The back cover of mine has the top half with a creamy white. A buddy said it was released and quickly pulled in favor of the all pink back cover, but I see no evidence of this. Anyone? Thx

6. burningedge

burningedge Forum Resident

Nick Mason in a new interview with Rolling Stone. Sure to disappoint:

Both songs finally appeared, officially, in the massive 2016 archival set The Early Years 1965-1972. Is there anything left in the cupboard for a follow-up?
    "Not that I know of. The only thing we’ll probably do is a release of [1977’s] Animals, with new remastering."

Are there any live shows from that tour to go with it?
    "Not that we can think of [laughs]. But we’ll keep looking."

coffeetime likes this.
  7. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

Yes. Keep looking. Keep looking extremely hard!

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm not disappointed in the least. He just confirmed the Animals re-release.

coffeetime and Full Circle like this.
  9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

"Probably" is the Nick Mason version of a confirmation?

10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

For an Englishman that's as close as you'll get to wild enthusiasm.

11. burningedge

I was guessing most people would be disappointed because after Waters' comments I think most people were already assuming this was going to come out anyhow. However, the comment I run into over and over again in the Floyd threads is that the big dream is for a live Animals shows to be officially released. I'm one of those people myself! Mason seems to say they have no shows they are currently even considering releasing with the Animals remaster.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Hanging on in quiet desperation, etc.

Myke and coffeetime like this.
  13. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

A standalone Animals 5.1 is good enough for me. If there were to be an Immersion style box for it, the 5.1 mix would be the main selling point for me, so I’m the exact opposite of disappointed. With the Floyd 5.1/quad efforts to date and Dogs/Pigs (3DO) on Roger’s current tour, anything Animals related is a no brainier purchase for me.

14. burningedge

Right with you. But would you rather have a remaster and 5.1 only, or a remaster, 5.1, and a live '77 show?

15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Stereo remaster? I’ll take one if there is to be one, but the 2011 Discovery remaster really brought the album to life for me and I’ve had no complaints about it. Would love a live ‘77 show if there’s one to be had. And would pay Immersion set prices for an Immersion like set for it all. As with DSOTM & WYWH, the multichannel Blu Ray/SACD is what I’d really be after so anything good else over and above that would be gravy. The meat is already a dead cert though. (And how can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?)

Instant Dharma likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

no 5.1, no interest from me. I have the album ... don't need another copy...

I enjoyed Atom Heart Mother personally and the surround mix

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Mr. Explorer and rd1 like this.
  17. mark winstanley

I would like a 75/6/7 live show and dvd/bluray, but i doubt i'll get that lol

ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm happy with what they offer.

zinan likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I chalk this up to Nick's sense of humor and keeping specifics of the project under wraps. Of course there are all the soundboard recordings from the tour and my source told me that at one point they (one or more) were taken into consideration for release. The last I heard the idea was nixed but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Atom Heart Mother (the title track, in particular) was meant to be heard in Quad. Simply stunning, one of the most effective surround mixes that I can think of.

Bummed to hear the news here, though it wouldn't be the first time that members of Pink Floyd claimed that there was nothing worthwhile left in the cupboard. Oh well, at least my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief. . .

Mr. Explorer and mark winstanley like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Any news on this? We're getting closer and closer to the festive window and no announcement of any Floyd release or whatsoever.
    I was hoping for either a deluxe Animals or Pompeii.

22. mark winstanley

i want 5.1 animals .... well not a dissection as such .... uuurrrm 5.0 will do

NunoBento likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would be nice if, next to that surround remix, a hi-res version of the original mix will be in the set.

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Unless a release date is published in the next 30 days it appears this new reissue will not happen in 2018. Any update Rontoon? Thanks

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

That would mean the Floyd missing the Xmas window this year. I mean, we have the futile "A Foot In The Door" vinyl reissue, but that's not really a high profile release.