Vic Anesini: Any Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Vic's name is a trademark of quality for me. :righton:

2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Essential Elvis Presley- the BEST I've ever heard the King

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's the Allman Brothers Band. Mountain is The Road Goes Ever On.

ebro likes this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Vic's remaster of Big Brother And The Holding Company's "Cheap Thrills' is excellent, but has been surpassed by the Steve Hoffman remastering. It's in the vocals - Janis doesn't sound sibilant on the Audio Fidelity.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I know, as I have been searching for Vic's take on that Waylon album for quite a while. I'm wondering if he may have been working on a "digital" copy for streaming?

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah funny, I went through the scenario's too. 'digital' copy maybe, and I wonder why this particular album?
    The tracks are already on the Bear Family boxset 'Six Strings Away' in already stunning audio.
    I do like the idea of highlighting the individual albums. I could watch him work for hours as a 'fly on the wall'.

7. Chris C

I agree that watching (and learning just what these guys listen for and change) while mastering, is something that I could also watch for hours.

About five years ago my wife had to fly to L.A. for work and I tagged along with nothing to do all day, except shop for music (Amoeba, etc.) and I asked Steve Hoffman if I could stop by Stephen Marsh's mastering room, which was right down the street from our hotel (Lowe's of Hollywood). Sadly, Steve cancelled on me last minute, which was a huge disappointment as I was so excited to take in a few hours of watching the man at work. Maybe next time my wife and I head out to Sonoma wine country, I'll ask Rob LoVarde if I can drop by Mobile Fidelity and look over his shoulder for an hour?

Hep Alien and Rick Bartlett like this.
  8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

He was not.

9. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I see from the posted list that Vic did a lot of Sesame Street mastering which is a good way to clearly educate the young!

Mr. H, majorlance and black sheriff like this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Let's just say I've had dealings with him over the years. But I can vouch for his commitment to quality.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

His Carole King Tapestry SACD might be his high point

12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Vic good.

Rockin' Robby and hi_watt like this.
  13. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

14. Rick Bartlett

MaestroDavros likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Vic Anesini (often referred to by only his first name) is well respected around here because of his gentle touch in remastering, meaning that he doesn't get too crazy with modern mastering practices. Vic Anesini respects the sound on the tapes. His work never hurts my ears. (Yes, there is such a thing. It's real, and it's painful.)

For me, if a CD has his name on something I want, its an automatic buy. He is in a select bunch of mastering engineers I can say that about.

16. Rick Bartlett

A lot of mastering guys just see buttons and just feel the need to 'tweak' whether it needs it or not.
    Noise Reduction, adding or subtracting bass/treble E.Q, filtering this, filtering that, compression here, compression there....
    Sheesh!
    A great engineer's work should not really affect the listening experience at the end of the day.

RSteven likes this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

He might have done the jewel case version even though Mark Wilder is still credited.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's not exactly how it happens. They are following the orders of their clients. And, the mastering gear they use have knobs.

It takes a lot of thought to use any of that stuff.

A mastering job should be so good that the listener isn't aware that the sound was tweaked.

19. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

always hated the expression "any love" for _________.

did anesini do the S&G boxset?

Dante Fontana likes this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

Those were the words I was looking for.

goodiesguy, RSteven and audiomixer like this.
  21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes

22. And Anesini did a fine job on the Mountain catalog. I had an old CD of Nantucket Sleighride that sounded terrible; his remaster was a huge improvement.

Gil Griffith likes this.
  23. Chris C

Sadly, it already appears to be out of print, but when I first heard Vic's mastering on "Boogie with Canned Heat" on Iconoclassic, I thought that he really got that stuff to sound outstanding!

Canned Heat - Boogie With Canned Heat

ebro likes this.
  24. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Which editions of these are mastered by Vic?

25. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Anesini also did the recent Jayhawks remasters (Sound of Lies, Smile, and Rainy Day Music), all of which had better sound and more dynamic range than the originals.

Hep Alien and Jeff Minn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.