Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Is that because of the bad wigs?

Thwacko and Michael Rose like this.
  2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I was talking about the scene in the trailer where Brian is proposing the stomping/clapping bit in We Will Rock You to the band and then they show a bunch of people doing it in studio for the recording...And then you replied mentioning Radio Ga Ga and people stomping in concert. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I believe they did get a bunch of people to stomp for the recording of We Will Rock You. It wasnt in 1982 though.

4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

My bad, I guess I found it weird that anyone would question the relevance of having stomping and clapping in one of the most iconic chants ever made. Apologies.

xxxxxxxxx

Here is a great clip that I always get a kick out of. It just says so much to me. I personally think Sydney is the coolest kid!

5. Zach Johnson

From what I've read, they just did it themselves using overdubs, as with anything they did in the 70s (outside of Teo Torriatte, which I believe used a children's choir).

6. Zach Johnson

I wasn't questioning the relevance of anything. I was pointing out that they didn't have extras in the studio doing it...They did it themselves with overdubs. :)

genesim likes this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think you're right actually.

8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Man I am getting owned today. My bad again! I understand completely. Pity if they got that fact wrong!

9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I would safely bet they will NOT take the audience through any deep cuts. I am a hardcore Queen nut, but i know the film makers are aiming for the widest audience, not me.

I still will see it in theaters but won't hold my breath about this flick being anything more than a VH1 style biopic with a bigger budget.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

10. Michael Rose

Rami did his best learning to be Freddie. His vocalization is spot on. The actor playing Brian also does a steller job. The other two guys are just window dressing (based on the trailer.) I don't care about bad wigs as long as I believe their performance.

On a side note, my one complaint about the trailer: We Will Rock You was written in 1977 not 1981. Macho Freddie came to be in 1980. Flamboyant leotard and ballet shoe wearing Mr.Mercury was at his peak then. Just sayin.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Indeed. Case in point:

Michael Rose likes this.
  12. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I would be truly shocked if Brian and Roger wanted the film to be more about them. I read that Cohen was released because he wasn't portraying Freddie in a serious enough way.
    Brian and Roger mention Freddie in every interview i've read from them since the singer's death. They can never say enough fantastic things about Freddie, they love him very much. Personally i get a bit sick of constantly hearing about Freddie in all their interviews even tho' i'm a huge Queen fan. Freddie overshadows Queen to some extent, and i'm certain if he'd not died so tragically things wouldn't be that way.
    It's the same with McCartney interviews, he is almost always asked something about Lennon.
    Brian May is an incredibly kind and decent human being and very humble, and i've never seen evidence of him having a huge ego. I don't believe Cohen tbh.

I won't be seeing the film.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I know a sound man on an MTV crew who did a 2-hour interview with Brian May, and he said the musician was egotistical, difficult, obnoxious, and very arrogant. Did not want to be there, but was contractually obligated to do so. He said he was totally shocked, because he had heard May was a good guy. Perhaps he had a bad day.

Simon A likes this.
  14. Michael Rose

It doesn't help Brian and Rogers' case that neither one has been prolific in their solo careers or a formation of another band.

15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sound man brother uncle of a long lost cousin who turned out not to be related at all....

A name and credentials are far more reliable.

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

His name is "Sound Man Who Still Needs Work."

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The soundtrack

Full track listing for "Bohemian Rhapsody" the original soundtrack is:

01. 20th Century Fox Theme (0:25)
    02. Somebody To Love (4:56)
    03. Doing All Right... Revisited (Performed by Smile) (3:17)
    04. Keep Yourself Alive (Live At The Rainbow) (3:56)
    05. Killer Queen (2:59)
    06. Fat Bottomed Girls (Live In Paris) (4:38)
    07. Bohemian Rhapsody (5:55)
    08. Now I'm Here (Live At Hammersmith Odeon) (4:26)
    09. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (2:43)
    10. Love Of My Life (Rock In Rio) (4:29)
    11. We Will Rock You (Movie Mix) (2:09)
    12. Another One Bites The Dust (3:35)
    13. I Want To Break Free (3:43)
    14. Under Pressure (Performed by Queen & David Bowie) (4:04)
    15. Who Wants To Live Forever (5:15)
    16. Bohemian Rhapsody (Live Aid) (2:28)
    17. Radio Ga Ga (Live Aid) (4:06)
    18. Ay-Oh (Live Aid) (0:41)
    19. Hammer To Fall (Live Aid) (4:04)
    20. We Are The Champions (Live Aid) (3:57)
    21. Don't Stop Me Now… Revisited (3:38)
    22. The Show Must Go On (4:32)

enro99 likes this.
  18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Here's a "Happy Birthday Freddie Mercury clip", or rather, a video promoting the upcoming movie. Anyway, you can see some new shots of Rami as Mercury on this clip.

19. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

the smile song seems interesting

20. Zach Johnson

I wish they would have included the full Live Aid set in the soundtrack.

enro99 and warewolf95 like this.
  21. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

More or less confirms the story arc as expected: Early beginnings > Initial Success > Superstardom > Live Aid > Death

This film while entertaining will add nothing new to the Freddie Mercury story.

What would be great is a documentary film along the lines of the Amy Winehouse/Ayrton Senna biopics.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, this is an Emmy-nominated guy who's been around LA for more than 35 years.

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

True, but that's not what biopics are for. Even most documentaries are usually account of facts that are known.

PDK and warewolf95 like this.
  24. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I realize biopics, music ones in particular, are full of inaccuracies, and people in the movie business seem to have no idea how recorded music is produced. However, the late engineer Mike Shipley over on Gearslutz stated back in 2004:

"Then there was the fun of being on a chair on the drum riser with the band and others doing hanclaps and footstomps for "We will rock you" which was a lot of fun ."

Ship, do you have any interesting stories you could share about Queen? - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Ahh. The Ron Howard approach to movies about rock stars. Make it so general that it reveals nothing new and contains nothing interesting.

PDK likes this.