Magnum P.I. reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This trend is even more confounding than the inevitable poorly-considered re-hash movies Universal studios usually vomits-up onto cineplex screens early in the Summer Box Office season - you know, the ones that end up selling more collector cups at Taco Bell than actual theater seats?

And, they all suffer from the same problem: the audience that the original property was a hit with back in tha day...isn't even the target audience for the re-make! Yet somehow every year some idiot studio exec blows his cred (and Daddy's money) making these boomer embarrassments...and somehow the focus group test never get back to the front office that "NObody WANTS to see the 21st Century update of 'My Mother The Car'!" (and nor do they care that Jay Leno is the star...AND he's willing to promote it on Jimmy Fallon...)

2. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I passed on the old one. Loved his work on "The Rockford Files" and the Jesse Stone movies, though.

3. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Wheres the Moustache!

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

First trailer just dropped.....

The Ferrari is there, the dobermans are there, TC's helicopter is there, the Detroit Tigers cap is there, Five-O was mentioned, etc.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Tom Selleck has now made more episodes of his current CBS series "Blue Bloods" than "Magnum P.I."

Purple, Jack Lord and David Campbell like this.
  6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I remember years ago they failed miserably with a Kojak reboot with Ving Rhames (sorry Theo Kojak was Greek, not African American), a good actor (especially in Pulp Fiction), but there is only one Kojak in my book, the late Telly Savalas.
    Don't care to see the upcoming Kojak film with Vin Diesel either.

Jack Lord likes this.
  7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I was waiting for the classic theme and was glad to hear it return. As for the show, who knows? I might give it a shot.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just watched a trailer and although I would have preferred them to have come up with something original, perhaps based on Magnum's daughter at least they are copying a great series so I'll give it a go, even though it's unlikely to reach the heights of the original it could still be fun in it's own right, although somebody really seems to hate Ferraris.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No moustache no Magnum

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

[​IMG]

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

lets be honest, all these remakes/reboots suck. I am amazed they haven't tried to reboot the rockford files.....Id love to see how they pull off the answering machine opening...(texts?)

12. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I actually like the new 5-0 reboot.

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

They did try to reboot "The Rockford Files" as a TV series....twice! Never went beyond the pilot. And there was even a feature version of the show being considered, with Vince Vaughn as Rockford....

Chuck Hogan On The Case For Vince Vaughn And ‘The Rockford Files’

There was a rumored "Magnum P.I." feature in the works at Universal, with Matthew McConaughey taking over the title role. It was mentioned within this forum.

14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

YOU CANNOT WRECK THE FERRARI!!! :mad:

15. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Hulk reboot-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..I'm on the floor!!!

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Dennis Franz? Just about every role he's ever done has been a cop!

Jack Lord likes this.
  17. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I don't know what they are smoking when they think these reboots are a good idea.

Somehow I keep expecting to hear about a M*A*S*H reboot, even - no thank you!!

Jack Lord likes this.
  18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

luckybaer and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I caught a few eps here and there. Not bad really. At this point the reboots are really just an excuse to use an existing IP that is an easier sell than a new name IMO.

Jack Lord and David Campbell like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Whatever it was, I'm so glad they had a six-pack and a bag of Doritos around when they came up with the Battlestar Galactica series a few years back.

21. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Actually i wouldn't mind a Hulk reboot on TV. It would work on Netflix pretty well and tie it in with the Marvel cinematic universe. If they can afford it have Mark Ruffalo reprise his role as Banner, get him. If not, recast. Have it set after Avengers IV. Bruce Banner is presumed dead to the public after the events of that movie. However, reports of the Hulk keep periodically popping up catching the attention of a reporter who doesn't believe Banner is dead. Follow the basic formula of the old show. Focus on Banner trying to cure himself and doing good deeds as he roams from town to town with both the reporter Mcgee and the government and even former Avengers team mates on his trail. Have a few minutes of CGI hulk in each episode.

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Hey maybe we can have-Hulk Meets Bulwinkle movie,everybody loves Bulwinkle.

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Good luck trying to follow in the shoes of Tom Selleck. The supporting characters (with the possible exception of John Hillerman) should be easy to reboot.

The more I contemplate this, one word comes to mind:

blasphemy.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Has anyone caught the new show? I saw the first ep. As a regular show, it was alright. As Magnum? It was hard to see past the fact this guy was not Tom Selleck

25. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I saw parts of the first episode. They stayed much closer to the premise of the original series than I imagined they would. The actors seemed OK for their parts, but the dialogue is terrible.