New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I saw the same thing and placed the order. If it turns out to be the stereo version, it's going back. It doesn't have the same cover as the RSD issue, so I'm wondering if they printed additional copies with the standard cover.

2. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Isn't it possible that they reissued it without the RSD cover?

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If they did I haven't seen it yet but if it was the case there should be a lot appearing on ebay. At least up to two days ago I only saw the normal RSD

4. darthgator

darthgator Forum Resident

So I am trying to get a copy of Pulse, but its out of stock on amazon. Hopefully they will more copies soon!

5. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

It's been reduced 20% on Amazon UK, they must be trying to shift them.

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I apologize if this was posted already. Getting Ummagumma 2016 reissue finally. Already got a few of these reissues over the last two years. Looking foward to hearing this reissue always liked how this album was laid out live than studio. Great early Floyd.

Pink Floyd 2016 Vinyl Reissues Review “Ummagumma”

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Sounds like he could be describing the original Japan for Japan 2cd as well.
    My US Harvest is a very quiet pressing, but just not very engaging.

8. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Let me guess, aside from the Piper RSD mono which another discussion, these reissues don’t hold a candle to the best originals? Can I save myself from reading over 500 pages due to everyone naturally coming to that predictable and inevitable conclusion, rendering this pointless? Reissues having more detail and originals having magical pixie dust? Does that summarize it?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    DoF, marc with a c and E.Baba like this.
  9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Reissues (those that are remasterings) have more of SOME detail, but at the expense of LESS of others.
    With rare exception.
    This is something Steve Hoffman as an extraordinary talent for accomplishing.

If a remaster is smooth and you like it (and I do some) then expect plenty of comments here. :laugh:
    I've got a few comments defending some remasters for other threads I've reserved for later.

Just keep in mind that, depending on your ears, room and system - in that order of importance - that sometimes on original pressings, a natural depth, detail and smoothness can make the music more engaging. And fun. Without any bloat, and if your system is a little better than mine - plenty of bass.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not really, but if you have perfect originals, you don't need the re-issues.

The re-issues have a uniformity of sound due to them being done by Bernie, the sound smoother, lacking a bit of the rawness of an analog cut.
    Just my opinion, sometimes it works good, like on Animals, and sometimes it takes away a bit of the punch like say on Meddle.

But overall, they're well done, clean sounding records, and if you have a chewed up original, repress, or whatever,
    anyone of these Bernies would be a decent replacement copy.

11. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

If you have originals that are mint, you are set. If you don’t, the reissues are the one to get. Superb reissue program. Could have been terrible and instead it was fantastic.

12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Absolutely agree! The 2016 Meddle is great, the original 1971 UK 1st issue is unparalleled.

jgrillo and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Played my copy of Pulse last night again and just wanted to say this is a fantastic reissue, I picked it up at Amazon for $80. and is worth every penny, I just checked Amazon and is out of stock is this a limited set or are they just waiting on another shipment.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Just picked up Obscured by Clouds..prompted me to order Animals and give it a try! If thats good Ill order Wish You Were Here!

15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hey :wave: guys this is a huge thread! Anyway is there a consesnus on this Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here:

[​IMG]

Abomination?

How does it fare to original UK and German pressings?

I am not familiar with this album in any format.

Thank you!

Biff Jones likes this.
  16. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

It sounds great! I compared it with my original German and Dutch pressings, and it beats them both. In my experience with this album, it's especially important to have a very quiet pressing, and the 2016 is exactly that. If you're looking for an American 2016 pressing, you should know that there are two versions: the first one was a reissue of the 2011 Doug Sax remaster, the second one is the actual 2016 Bernie Grundman remaster (the big sticker will tell you which version you're holding in your hands).

Biff Jones, superstar19 and DoF like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

These reissues sound great but pristine copies of the originals are probably better. They're not pointless at all unless you have pristine original pressings. If you don't have any Floyd LP's or if you have some that aren't in great shape, these are all great options. Much more pleasant to have bought many of these for $25-30 than to have bought original pressings for hundreds of dollars a piece.

Biff Jones, Pancat, rontoon and 2 others like this.
  18. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you! :tiphat: What about other 2016 Bernie Grundman remasters from this campaign?

19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

This is awesome

[​IMG]

DBMartin, DoF and Szeppelin75 like this.
  20. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I also have Piper Mono, Dark Side, Animals, The Wall, and Pulse, and they're all very good to great. Pulse may be my absolute favourite, although I've never heard an original pressing. Dark Side, Animals and The Wall all sound as good as or better than my original UK, US, Dutch, and French pressings.

DoF and Szeppelin75 like this.
  21. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

DBMartin likes this.
  22. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Pricey, better be good :)

23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I am always impressed ever time I put it on, which is frequently !
    US Amazon had it for $80

24. DoF

DoF Less is more...

It's around $120 here in Poland :doh:

25. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I loved the reissue, as you could see in my review you so kindly posted a link for! I'm flattered!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.