Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Internet "chatter" dims quite a bit (if it even makes any impact at all) when you're 21, touring the world, playing sold out shows (or opening for bands like G n' R and the Foo Fighters) in front of fans who actually like/love your music, living the dream and having a damn good time.

Critics? What critics? :p

2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

"Rip off the Leds, we're gonna rip off the Leds..."

Man at C&A and erikdavid5000 like this.
  3. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Don't care for the new song at all vocally...but I am rooting for them, and hope the new album is good.

4. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

At :45 (1st chorus) there's a guitar riff lifted verbatim from "In The Evening".

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  5. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Good observation. Reverence? Form of flattery? Did LZ ever lift/reference? Our pals Daniel Steel certainly did - unapologetically...because, said the beatle :laugh:

6. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I think you may have misheard that second line; it should be: "What's a bell-end? Dong". It's a clarification for non-Brits who are not aware that a "bell-end" is a British slang term for the glans of a pe*is.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  7. itsjustme

itsjustme New Member

One first listen they had potential.
    After a few different listens to different versions and songs you noticed he just screams "mama" and "aahhhwww" too much.

It's a breath of old fresh air in the current climate of nu-metal meets indie vocals but gets annoying pretty quickly.

8. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

That's still relative. People react to things in different ways. It might not affect them at all. But it still could, especially when they're that young. I think people forget sometimes that musicians, even when successful, go through massive bouts of doubt. I shouldn't have to explain how rough touring and recording albums can be. We've all heard the stories. Any kind of criticism on top of that can be the weight of the world. It honestly might not impact them at all and they can have fun with what they're doing. That would be the best case. All I'm saying is that it can all look great on the surface, but when they're getting criticisms before releasing one single album, it has the potential to pile up. Not to mention the fact that several "retro rock resurrection" acts have completely faded over time. There really aren't many that have had lasting appeal beyond 3-5 years. The flame burns out.

9. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

I do like the band but yeah his voice on the new song not so much.

10. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

The boy is channeling Robert just like Robert was channeling Janis...

About the song, it isn’t that good. And I like their previous work.

squittolo likes this.
  11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria Thread Starter

I like the fact that they sound or "channeling" Zep

The singer can't help how his voice sounds coming out, nothing will change that

They have good licks and I'm sure as they mature their song writing will reflect it

12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

What bands are you listening to?

Ma Kelly likes this.
  13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Yep. There are no original riffs in their songs.
    ...jus sayin'

14. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Oh yeah! Just worked a Robert Plant show and saw a t-shirt. Now I know why.

Brendan K likes this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I know the vocals get a lot of attention, but the music itself is fairly basic as well. I've always chalked that up to their youth and inexperience, but at some point they need to kick up the experimentation a notch or two.

CrombyMouse and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well not necessarily. Plenty of bands didn't do much experimenting music wise and did well enough. All they really need to do is write songs people like and put on a good live show.

Tree of Life likes this.
  17. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

This is interesting because in recent years rock bands have been re-emerging in the UK as well. However their influence has mainly been grunge, punk, and psychedelic rock. I'd like to see someone compare what's happening in rock music between the US and UK.

18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

That'd sure be interesting. Example could be:

Paramore, Greta Van Fleet, Alabama Shakes, Jack White vs. Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Gorillaz, Florence + The Machine.

Maybe someone should create a thread!

bewareofchairs likes this.
  19. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Of course he can't. His voice sounds totally natural and un-forced, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Give him a chance, he's just a little kid! I'm sure that, with time, 'mama' will modulate to 'bitty' :laugh:

21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

No, it goes from Mom to Mommy to Mama to Ma to Mum to Mummy and then back to Mama. There's an order to these things.

D.D.

c-eling and yarbles like this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think that we can draw a distinction between bands that wear their influences on their sleeve but then fashion them into something fresh and distinctive (I would say that a guy like Ty Segall achieves this) and bands that try to slavishly recreate another band's sound without really adding anything new (and I'm not lumping GVF in here because I honestly have not heard enough of their music). Of course, these are all subjective evaluations. . .

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sure you got a point, but I think it's more about what people decide to use to justify their opinion. Whatever suits the argument they need to make they use. Oh sounds like the same old, but when you look at their record collection they'll have a bunch of bands that never created anything new in their genre but are good none the less.

There's really nothing wrong with not creating something new and distinctive. How many bands really did that? I mean really did that? Not many in the grand scheme of things. IMO most bands that did do that didn't do it on every album and by the end of their lives were really just writing excellent songs than breaking new ground. I'd say that was the case for Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones...

All that really matters is how good is the song. I couldn't stand that band Jet, I thought they were beyond derivative and nothing but posers. Yet I lapped up every ripped off riff, chord, whatever that Noel used on the first Oasis record. What's the difference? I thought that Oasis record had better songs. :)

artfromtex and Man at C&A like this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

If it does come down to having songs that are memorable, and I do believe that is of great importance, I have yet to hear that from GVF. You can be a bamd that isn't breaking new ground and still have great songs. To me their rise is based upon the vocal and a lot of hype. I have yet to hear a song that sticks with me. Maybe others are hearing songs, but I'm really not. I am just hearing attempts at familiar sounds mixed with great promotion.

violetvinyl and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.