Need Help Finding a Fuse for My Stanton Model 310

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rtim, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rtim

Rtim Active Member Thread Starter

i need help finding a fuse for my Stanton Model 310, i already bought a pack that had one with the right specs but it was not long enough and i don't know if this is normal with 310's but when i first tried putting it in, it was a vary tight fit.

The Specs of the Old Fuse:
    1/2 AMP
    250V
    F1
    3628AG
    LITTLEFUSE USA

2. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

3. Rtim

i don't know, the Stanton Model 310 is phono pre-amplifier used mostly in radio stations in the 80s (the seller owned station back then and he bought it around 1987-88), the old fuse only had the info i given above and the manual doesn't say anything either, the only stamped mark on it is CE for European safety.

4. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I would use a fast blow fuse in that case. But if you post a clear photo of the original fuse I might be able to tell you which type it is.

5. Rtim

unfortunately that's not possible, although my 310 is in mint condition, the old fuse shattered during shipping (it was the only thing that broke and i don't know how that happened).

6. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Then just use a fast blow fuse like in the ebay link I posted, and don't worry about it.

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Generally one uses a slow blow fuse when an inrush of current on power on exceeds the running requirements, like on a power amp. For a simple phono preamp fast blow is fine.

8. Rtim

i got a different size from ebay and it don't fit, so... i hunted down that old fuse like i was Liam Neeson in Taken and found it, he's some photos of the old one in my 310 and the fuses i bought (with it's packaging) next to the old one

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/htimreimer/20180518_2313192_zpstttgq9r8.jpg
    http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/htimreimer/20180518_2313192_zpstttgq9r8.jpg
    http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/htimreimer/20180518_2317431_zps1kdnmuuh.jpg
    http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/htimreimer/20180518_2317431_zps1kdnmuuh.jpg

9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It would be much simpler if you had the size of the fuse for instance measuring the length from the outer end of the holder to the opposite outer end.
    There is every chance my guess from looking at a picture is wrong but I would say you need an M205 1/2amp.
    Sorry I've got no idea in what country is Regina so I'll give you this listing in China that will probably take forever but I think they might be what you need.

20Pcs 250V 0.5A F0.5AL Quick Blow Fuse Glass Tube Fuses 5 x 20mm 500mA 711331743725 | eBay

10. Uglyversal

BTW: the fitting is normally very tight, you don't push or pull the glass, you push each metal bit one at the time if you wish and when pulling use a small screwdriver to push up the metal bit. If you put pressure on the glass it is likely to break.

11. Rtim

Thanks for the reply, i measured it and the holder is about 1 inch (or 2 and half centimeters)

12. Uglyversal

13. Rtim

this might explain why i'm having difficulty finding a fuse for it, i'm going to buy but both (the 5 x 20mm fuse is only 1.30 including shipping) but it having an unusual size makes sense to me

14. Rtim

15. Uglyversal

Wow, they are making it difficult, of the top of my head I don't remember anything standard that is that short and thicker than those. I will check for you but I can't do it today. If you don't hear from me in 48hrs is because I forgot, after that just PM to remind me and I'll give you definitive answer.

Could you please measure the diameter of any that fitted properly or did you say it was excessively tight? In any case let me know the size..

16. Uglyversal

Ok, I had the chance to go trough some catalogues, for what I can see you might have a couple more options in that kind of length. One is a bit shorter the other longer.

The two are 6.35mm in diameter

SFE fuses are 27mm long

AGW fuses are 22mm long

Having the 25mm now to compare do you think you can fit in that holder either of the two above? If so then you just need to search for lets say AGW 500mA fuse or AGW 1/2A fuse and so on. Any doubt ask me, it will also pay to check dimensions and power with the seller just in case.

The bad news is at least on ebay seems it is hard to find anything below several amps. A local distributor have both in 1A but not 1/2. Do a google search you might find another distributor that carries them.

The last solution, you need to learn to solder and desolder and just change the socket for thinner ones that can take the fuses you bought from China. Alternatively you can contact a technician that changes it for you. If there is nothing wrong with the unit a decent one might not charge you much to do just that but I suggest find the right fuse so you don't need to deal with anyone else.

17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

18. Uglyversal

19. Rtim

Going to give these a try, i'm trying to avoid having to do solder job even though it seem to be more and more likely it's something i need to do, i guessing by using an uncommon size is how Stanton got radio stations to buy fuses from them back then.

20. Uglyversal

There might not be anything sinister about it. Under normal circumstances the fuses should not really ever blow. The only funny or weird thing is that if you search for 8AG which is that type of fuse it is described as mainly used in the automotive industry, that would explain why I had trouble finding low current ones.

21. Rtim

theirs good news and bad news

The Good: the ones that JohnO recommended are the right size.

The Bad: i'm not sure if this was done on purpose or just a mistake at the factory but the fuse holder is soldered at a slight angle and while its usable, i think a new holder is needed.

So i need some help finding two things, a soldering station under 170 CAD or 125 USD and a fuse holder that uses a more common fuse size.

22. Uglyversal

So, it doesn't fit because it is crooked, right? If it fits I wouldn't worry too much. Otherwise if your skill are up to the task buy something cheap but powerful enough as you might not use it again for years. You might be able to reuse the old holder otherwise:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/YIHUA-908-220V-60W-Electric-Iron-Soldering-Station-Welding-Rework-with-Solderin/112221634327?hash=item1a20ee3f17%3Ag%3AU50AAOSwkNpaZeZw&_sacat=0&_nkw=solderin+station&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsolderin+station.TRS0

There are plenty of others, I would not want anything less than 60w as what you want to desolder would require some decent heat. you need a drill bit to adjust the holes and solder wick to absorb the old solder. Youtube can provide you hints on how to do it, it is impossible to type it.

There are plenty of fuse holders (clips) or whole "pcb" fuse holder assemblies, you need to decide what size to use, it is up to you but I would chose something more standard. The fuse should not blow anyway, if it does it is because there is something wrong drawing more power than what it is designed for.

Rtim likes this.
  23. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You should virtually never need to replace the fuse, and you have four extras now anyway. If it's working now, use it and enjoy and don't worry about the fuse holder being a little off.

R. Totale and Rtim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.