CD Stores in Austin and San Antonio, TX

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tom H, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Howdy y'all!

I'll be visiting the Austin - San Antonio, TX area soon and I'd like to do some shopping for music. I collect only CDs. Looking for any CD stores (especially "used CD" stores) in the area that I should check out.

Thanks!

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Haven't been in that area for about 10-12 years but my favorite then was.....

WATERLOO !!

Downtown near the river/Lake Austin.

3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Not many to chose from in Austin, yet I'm sure you can find something at the few stores.

Of course there is Waterloo Records. Their used section isn't huge but to be honest I always see something I want to buy. The store annoys me a bit, but I go when I need to.

There's also a handful of Half-Price Bookstores with used CD's, and Encore if you lean toward metal and hardcore.

End of An Ear sounds like a great place, I think they cater more to used vinyl.
    From what I hear that's the best place to go, sounds like a down-to-earth place.

You should check out Antones Record store, although they are mostly vinyl. Cool old store,
    at least it was when I used to go. Lots of history in there.

Tom H likes this.
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'll second Waterloo, fantastic shop with a huge selection and friendly staff. I'll also recommend End of an Ear, also in Austin. It doesn't look as impressive from the outside, but a great selection within.

BluesOvertookMe, AcidPunk15 and Tom H like this.
  5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Did anyone say Waterloo? Of course they did.

BluesOvertookMe and Tom H like this.
  6. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

In Austin, End Of An Ear is a great store. I've scored many many treasures from them over the years. And be sure to visit The Sound Gallery -- it's an amazing hifi shop with a great selection of vinyl.

Here in San Antonio, the pickings aren't nearly as good. Friends of Sound, Imagine Books and Records, and Hogwild are what I'd recommend.

Tom H likes this.
  7. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As mentioned Waterloo should be your primary stop. Their new arrivals section is bigger than some shops' entire inventory. Also, check out the various Half Price Books locations. End of an Ear has a fairly small but well curated selection of CDs. There is almost always something of interest there and the prices are cheap (they are making their money on the vinyl). Antones also has a small cd section, but it tends to be less interesting and more expensive than End of an Ear.

Aggie87 and Tom H like this.
  9. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Don'f forget to check out the live music scene on 6th street downtown.

Tom H likes this.
  10. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

It's too bad you couldn't hold off your trip to Sept. 30th/Oct 1st as that is the weekend for the Austin Record Convention. There are sellers in there who do cd's, of course the show is primarily vinyl. IIRC the table count is 350 or so. Biggest record show in the USA for sure!

I agree with everyone here regarding Waterloo. They've been in the biz for a long time and is a well run business. End of an Ear is a good store as well, though not nearly the size of Waterloo.

11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I was in Austin last month. In addition to Waterloo I would suggest Antone's Record store. It's now owned by drummer Mike Buck (ex Fabulous T-Birds, Leroi Brothers etc.) and his wife. I didn't have time to stop by the Antone's night club but they said that there was a small shop with records in the front of the club that was worthwhile.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'll be in Austin next month and have time to hit maybe one place for vinyl. Is End of an Esr best for used vinyl? Looking for a wide range of stuff in one stop- jazz, classic country, indie rock, 50's-80's rock and alternative, etc

13. John Brookbank

John Brookbank BLK Vinyl Slinger

May be late since you said "next month" but hopefully you were able to hit EOAE. Think they have the most used and pretty darn good prices as well as not having a ton of junk to weed through. Breakaway is up north and skews just a bit more soul and jazz than rock but is really great as well. Waterloo has very little used anymore and I have no idea why. It's a real bummer. Hope ya had/have some good digging!

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  14. John Brookbank

John Brookbank BLK Vinyl Slinger

Have you been to the new EOAE? They've relocated off Ben White by Manchaca Rd. It's possibly as big as Waterloo square footage-wise but 1o times the used record selection and just as well curated.

15. guidedbyvoices

I did end up at Waterloo and end of an ear. Found two good used things cheap at Waterloo. End of an ear had lots used but little I was in the mood for that day, but I did buy a bunch of new vinyl there for prices about the same as amazon. Wish I lived in Austin and could hit both up every week to see what they just bought.

16. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

The next time I get down to Austin I will. Two things are stopping me right now, at least getting down to the Austin Record show next month---

1. Transmission problems-Dodge
    2. Major foot surgery

That puts the kibosh on me for buying tunes. Grrr!

Damn finances anyway!

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Don't know if you'll go as north as Round Rock, but Piranha Records has half-price used CDs on Wednesdays.

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Curious, are the stores you mention above primarily vinyl or CD? Like the OP, I'm mainly a CD guy.

Also, are there any chain stores (B&N, FYE, etc.) in a larger building that still have a decent sized physical media section? Someone here at work mentioned there was a 2-3 story B&N for example. (Most of these types of stores in smaller towns like mine have really limited selections, but have bigger stores in larger cities.)

Thanks!
    Mark

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Most of the best used CD places in Austin have all closed. Waterloo and Half Price Books is pretty much what is left for CDs, aside from pawn shops or the flea market.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

At one point Cheapo was going to reopen somewhere else in town, but I don't think that ever happened. At one time they had a great used selection. Going to Waterloo and then up Lamar to Cheapo was a good way to spend an entire day for me.

And long before that, I used to check out Tower and Technophilia over on/near the strip. Good ol' days.

melstapler and KDubATX like this.
  21. curbach

I would still recommend End Of An Ear for cd shopping. It's a relatively small selection, but it seems to be well curated and well priced.

KDubATX likes this.
  22. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I'd say those stores I mentioned are 50/50 vinyl and CD. I can't say anything about the chain stores, as I don't visit them frequently at all.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  23. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I agree with this. I found very little of interest in Austin the last time I was there. The traffic is awful, though.

24. curbach

Hey! Oh wait, you're right. The traffic is awful :) (Although it is much better during the summer when UT clears out.)

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

limited time in Austin this weekend. Is End of an Ear and Waterloo still my best bets to maximize my shoppping? Anywhere else with good used vinyl to flip through? Still looking for a wide range of stuff in one stop- 50s/60s jazz, classic country, indie rock, 50's-80's rock and alternative, etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.