"Frasier" Reboot*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 25, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another beloved sitcom is plotting a possible return. "Frasier" star and executive producer Kelsey Grammer is fielding interest to put together a new "Frasier" series.

Grammer is currently meeting with writers who are pitching different concepts for the potential followup series. If the producers settle on a writer and a premise, the project could move beyond exploratory stage.

‘Frasier’ Reboot Being Explored By Kelsey Grammer & CBS TV Studios

johnaltman and Laibach like this.
  2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I love Frazier and I would like to know what has happened to the character since they left the show. But .... without John Mahoney I just don’t know.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am all for these reboots if it puts us one step closer to an ALF revival.

4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The dream is real.

Strat-Mangler and dkmonroe like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

From the way it sounds, it looks like it will be with a new cast and new setting.

Reboot, not revival.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Alf+Frasier! Can't be any worse than W*A*L*T*E*R! :laugh:

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I believe Kelsey Grammar tried to start another show with Frasier after "Frasier" ended, but he couldn't find anyone interested.

I would definitely give a new show about Frasier a chance, I have always liked the character.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Just Grammer as “Frasier” in a new city. Does not sound appealing at all. The cast is what made the show great.

9. arley

arley Forum Resident

Agreed; the basis for much of the humor was that Frasier and Niles were both full of **** and everybody knew it but them. John Mahoney was the perfect down-to-earth foil.

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I also tend to agree.

Frasier is probably my all time favorite comedy show, and much if not all of what I find hilarious is the interplay between those three cast members.

However, that’s not to say the only people who could make that work so well with Kelsey Grammer are David Hyde-Pierce and John Mahoney. I am open to seeing the Frasier character continue in a new setting, although I would be very cautiously optimistic. I didn’t really like the Frasier character on Cheers.

Matthew Tate and Peace N. Love like this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

If they brought David Hyde-Pierce along I’d be more likely to watch it. I agree that the Frasier character wasn’t one of my favorites on Cheers. I liked Lilith more.

12. MikaelaArsenault

What's next? A Cheers revival?

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I would hope that they'd try to do something very different with the character instead of just re-creating a similar situation. I suspect the temptation would be to bring DHP back as Niles and then invent some new character to be the "down-to-earth-regular-guy" (or girl, more likely) who shows them up. And that would be a drag. They're never going to improve on the original. I can't for the life of me imagine what new situation they could create to make it fresh though.

eddiel likes this.
  14. AKA

AKA Senior Member

They’re callin’ again.

15. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Without DHP, I might need some convincing. The Frasier-Niles combo was, to me, really what made that show great (as well as John Mahoney, of course, but that sadly is no longer an option). But also the writing: Frasier had some of the wittiest sitcom writing ever and. KG's performance was always top-notch, but he needs great writers and at least one solid comic foil for this to really succeed. Cautiously optimistic.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

GOODnight, everybody!

AKA and David Campbell like this.
  17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Do you hear that? That's the sound of somebody beating a dead horse.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's still not a reboot. A reboot means the characters are recast and the continuity is started over. The recent Ghostbusters film was a reboot. The recent Vacation film was a revival because it followed the continuity of the original films and Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo played the same characters.

So if Kelsey Grammer is still playing Frasier and the events of the previous series are part of the continuity, it's not a reboot. Not even if the rest of the cast is entirely new, and Frasier is now working as a pencil salesman in Zimbabwe. It should properly be called a revival. This is probably a losing battle I'm fighting though, since people seem determined to misuse the word "reboot."

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes agreed about DHP, but... would he still be married to Daphne? I feel the same about having Jane Leeves in the new show, however, in Frasier when she and Niles finally became a married couple, the show started to run on fumes. The character dynamic had changed and so too did much of the appeal of the show (which by then was running out of ideas). For that reason, having Niles and Daphne as a couple would not be a great movie, imo.

21. IMO, it was Lightning in a Bottle.

Let it Be......

The Characters were great, but it was the Actors who made that show. (and GREAT Writers)

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Didn't his last show flop?

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

He hasn't had a real success since Frasier - there have been a number of projects. I really liked him in a super dramatic role in Boss, but that only lasted two short seasons. His performance was highly praised, but I guess the show wasn't popular enough to continue - too bad.

BwanaBob, a customer and agentalbert like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Daphne would have to be the character we don't see for it to possiblity work. Probably better if they are divorced or Niles is a Widower.

SomeCallMeTim and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

This is a great idea I hope to see it on television soon.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.