The discussion about the pace of the music evolution

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hermes, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Past Master Thread Starter

Why not let us the users have the discussions we want about music?

Let's have our debates and please don't behave like a thought policeman. This is a good topic. Try these arguments:

2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Please clarify and elaborate on “the pace of the music evolution”.
    What does that mean?

You can explain your thoughts, rather than asking us to watch a video.

It’s up to you to guide your thread in the thoughtful discussion that you wish to have.

Roderick Usher likes this.
  4. Hermes

Okay. Well, there was this good thread with arguments and then it was deleted for some reason. The topic was the pace of evolution and the original poster made the claim that the development was much slower these days than say the 60s, or 70s, maybe even 80s.
    I and others agreed and then someone called us old wild men.
    My contribution was to point out that there was no apparent reason to believe the pace of developement was the same all through history - and I do think the development in music has almost stopped. I said there wouldn't be any for the next hundred years ( I may have exagerated)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Sear and lightbulb like this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

@Hermes :
    You might wish to avoid quoting comments which make baseless, racially stereotyping assumptions (unless I somehow missed the profile field where members' race is indicated) if you want the topic to have a chance !
    I'm not admonishing you for your choice, just making a friendly suggestion.

6. Hermes

Okay, but then I will delete that explosive color word. Let's use the code language "old wild men" Can I say "men" or will some feminist complain? ;)

eric777, Lonevej and Crimson Witch like this.
  7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

This is a very interesting topic in the field of academia, esp. the humanities. I for one see the opportunity it offers !

Roderick Usher likes this.

8. YEAH! What he said. As for me, I'm all in favor of the pace of the music evolution. :kilroy:

Hermes likes this.
  9. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

Modern music is what it is for many reasons ,its what the public seems to want,its what the public seems to want and its what the public seems to want.The standards for music the public wants have declined because....well the public wanted it that way.

10. If I'm understanding him correctly, I think he is talking about whether Branford Marsalis's 1997 album Music Evolution should be played at a 33 1/3, 45, or 78 rpm speed (or pace).
    That's my thought.

lightbulb likes this.
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I still subscribe to the theory that if someone thinks all new music is "awful", that person is not looking everywhere there is to find new music.

I feel it's not a race thing or a sex thing, it's more of an "open-minded" thing.

As to the evolution of it slowing down, yes I agree with that.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Erm - we're guests.

We can 't have the inmates running the asylum.

13. Howdy neighbor, I live in Damascus. Keep in touch!

14. Hermes

Hahaha, you guys are quite funny, and I too think you can find good music today, but maybe it's become harder for most people to find comon ground?

15. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I'm ready for a revolutionary evolution shift in music.

Fullbug likes this.
  16. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Music hasn't stopped evolving. Music has splintered into a thousand different genres. Only a few are what one would call popular music (i.e., music that gets played on the radio). That's why it seems that music evolution has slowed, if there's only 3 or 4 genres being promoted of course it will seem like there's nothing new under the sun. But there's all kinds of different music being made now, it is mostly self-made and therefore doesn't have as big a platform. Tomorrow's music is somewhere right now in its nascent form. Just like now we look back to the late 40s - early 50s to see the earliest forms of what would become rock and roll, people 50 years from now will point to outsider music being made today as the forebearers of their popular music. Music hasn't stopped evolving, it's just not where it's going next yet.

crispi, Suncola, Jayseph and 7 others like this.
  17. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

True, but I don't think the argument is that all new music is awful, but rather all new "pop" music is awful.

no.nine, Beatle Ed and Hermes like this.
  18. Yes. I agree completely. And that's why so few of us agree on anything musically anymore. To quote the famous Lester Bangs article when Elvis died, "We will continue to fragment in this manner, because solipsism holds all the cards at present; it is a king whose domain engulfs even Elvis's. But I can guarantee you one thing: we will never again agree on anything as we agreed on Elvis. So I won't bother saying good-bye to his corpse. I will say good-bye to you."

mrbobdobalina, bvb1123 and Hermes like this.
  19. Hermes

Some more thoughtful comments. Thanks. It's night in Copenhagen, so do have a nice evening!

20. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

Music fundamentally changes every 10 years for ALL genres of music. You just have to be open to listening to the many different types now. With streaming you can literally hear millions of different types of music from all over the world. Music listening is easier now and more accessible than ever from popular to the the most obscure international underground release you can find. You just have to expose yourself to it actually in an entirety. We often look at the past in rose tinted glasses forgetting about all the whack music that that decade had also presented us. Elvis, Temtations, Supremes, Prince, Jackson 5 all had whack album releases too.

21. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

FORKLIFTER
    makes a great point

The public vote with their wallets......
    and they have chosen

eric777 likes this.
  22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

The video was titled "modern music". I did not watch the video (can't right now). I figured it was probably "pop" because the girl on the right looks like Miley Cyrus to me (and I really don't care if I'm wrong about that).

However, having not watched the video, I didn't want to make assumptions.

23. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

The video is by and large about modern "pop"/top 40 chart music, and should therefore probably be renamed.

Gaslight likes this.
  24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I am not at all sure "the public wanted it that way." There is a fundamental "which came first, the chicken or the egg" thesis that needs examining to come anywhere near answering whether or not "the public wanted it that way" for simple reason of consumer programming of preferences and the limitation of stylistic choice. I realise that last bit might seem counterintuitive, but based on the line of argument made in the video, I'd say that's what has occurred in pop music over the past couple of decades.

Add to that the narrowing of musical background and education over the decades. The first rockers, 50s and 60s, grew up with music that wasn't rock and roll and if their household was musical at all, there might have been classical, jazz, pop country, big band, early rhythm and blues -- a lot of widely varied approaches.

I suppose you could be right -- what is is what the public wanted. The question is, does the public actually know what it wants? What I mean is, what if you're never exposed to something you might want -- how would you ever know you wanted it?

25. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

I don't know,but the public sure dictates the market in areas like cars ,houses,clothes,food and just about anything I can think of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.