Vocalion July Quad SACDs: Poco, Johnnie Taylor, Airto & Deodato, plus Angela Bofill in stereo*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bodhisattva, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The wait is SO worth it. In not even a big Poco fan and this SACD blew me away. Gorgeous harmonies and awesome surround mixes. You will love it!

2. Thanks for posting about the mail delay. I’ll keep watching the mailbox!

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

My order (placed July 11th) arrived to the West Coast USA earlier this week. I hope my report gives some encouragement to those still waiting for their orders to arrive.

JDeanB, Shvartze Shabbos and fredblue like this.
  4. Mine was shipped a week earlier, on the 2nd and nothing yet . . .

@Say It Right What the hell is going on? Can you please look into these shipping issues? :yikes:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My copies arrived today. I will listen to them in the next couple of days. Nearly took four weeks. They ship these over seas rolled up in cheap corrugated cardboard. One out of three cases was cracked, which is a surprise considering the packaging.

6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I guess you mean "no surprise". Same thing happened to me when I bought 3 at once. Now I just buy them 1 at a time and no damage.

7. I’ve learned my lesson too. No more ordering directly from DV. I’ll gladly pay a couple of bucks more per title @ Amazon in lieu of waiting weeks/months to take delivery wirh broken cases.

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Do you realize that even if you purchase these titles from Amazon - you are doing so directly with DV - as they are the third party seller. I did order one of the DV discs a few months ago via Amazon - and it was shipped and packed exactly as if I had ordered direct from DV, bypassing Amazon.

Still waiting for my Poco, et al - order on June 28th.

formu_la and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  9. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Dutton Vocalion is without question my current favourite label.

Simon A, Tingman, fredblue and 2 others like this.
  10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

My order date also. Maybe tomorrow?

11. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I ordered through Amazon this time, so I am curious how long it will take. I love both of these Poco albums, though they are each on the opposite end of the spectrum for the band. Seven has a heavier production and, in part, leans toward harder rock. The only really country flavored track is 'Rocky Mountain Breakdown' (my least favorite track) while Cantamos is more folk and country influenced. Cantamos has a lot of layered guitars and great playing from all the 'fab four'...plus great harmonies by Paul, Tim and George. Can't wait to get it. Hoping Vocalion will also do Crazy Eyes and A Good Feelin' To Know.

gregorya, allbrosca and Juggsnelson like this.
  12. No, I didn’t realize that, as I be been going direct since this series started. I was under the impression that Amazon stocked the titles like most of the other niche labels. I can’t imagine Amazon allows for months for delivery with third party or Marketplace sellers. Delivery deadlines have to be met if you’re selling with Amazon.

JDeanB likes this.
  13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I always try to buy my Vocalion discs in even numbers (especially since reading reports about those with odd numbered discs getting some broken), and I've never had a busted case that way. I received an order of 10 SACDs last week, and they all arrived perfectly fine, even in that questionably thin cardboard held together by adhesive glue. Some of their discs are so cheap (check the clearance/sale section) that adding one more for a few dollars, to even up your order, is a wise move.

14. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

This is sound thinking....A bit of a shipping delay here, a broken case there......the prices for two long out of print Quad albums is amazing. You cannot beat the value. Stunning sound, great booklets, just a great package.

fredblue likes this.
  15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Always order in even numbers. If you order 3 or 5, the risk of a cracked jewel case is higher as there is no support for the triangle shape that they wrap them up in. The top disc will put pressure on the middle of the two lower jewel cases and that's when the cracks occur. Remember, order 2, 4 or 6 and you're good.

Clint Eastwood and fredblue like this.
  16. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Love what D-V are doing, just need to find time to listen to the latest discs I received!

I'd prefer to talk music instead of shipping delays / case damage but I just have to say that I got 3 discs in my latest order in 17 days to Australia (no tracking option chosen). There's no golden rule / truth on the number to order or from where. Sometimes things get damaged / delayed especially when multiple countries and their postal services are involved.

I just don't think it's fair to focus on a cracked case and extrapolate blame on the company or packing style. I'm saying this because people attach a lot of weight to statements made on this forum. I've had three orders totalling 13 discs and they have all arrived timely and with no damage. If I went by the comments here I may have thought twice about buying any of these...

17. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

... Or if you have an odd number of discs in your order, you simply grab a disc from the Bargain Box for £0.99 to make your order an even number. Given that several people have reported success (i.e., no cracked cases) with ordering an even number of discs, compared with many reports of problems (i.e., cracked cases) when ordering an odd number of discs, it's probably worth £0.99 for a little bit of extra insurance. Plus you get another disc of music to listen to, and it just might introduce you to something new and interesting!

fredblue likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

First, let me say, I think DV has done a good job of mastering on the 9 SACD titles I have purchased. I will gladly buy more titles from them. I get the shipping delays because these SACDs, for me, are coming from over seas, but people do get concerned because just about everyone has lost something in shipping.

Three of my nine titles have arrived damaged. The two Art Garfunkel SACDs were water logged all of the paper inside the case was ruined and one had a cracked case. To the credit of DV, they sent me replacement copies of the Art Garfunkel titles, after only one email. They said in their email, "It seems they were rather sadistic with your package":cool: They answered my email within a day when I inquired about the delay in shipping. Cracked cases are not a problem because they are standard CD cases and can easily be replaced. I give their customer service an A+. I give the quality of content an A. I give their packaging a D-.

I am happy we have a company like DV producing fine musical products, especially on SACD.

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

My Rick Derringer arrived without incident. Customs must be stirring up some **** for everybody else's.

Shvartze Shabbos and fredblue like this.
  20. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Pull the trigger. There's a chance you might come to your senses someday and realize that "Fingers" is one of the cornerstones of Latin Jazz. Not to mention the song "Wind Chant" contains the greatest electric guitar solo in the history of recorded music, as played by David Amaro. ;)

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listened twice (quad mix obviously). Just world-class imo. I like that they lead off with CANTAMOS, even though it was released after SEVEN. When that album ends you get some harder stuff (first side of SEVEN) and then that glorious side two kicks in and I'm in heaven. Wowie zowie, kids.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  22. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Ordered 7/2 and got them in yesterday.
    Deodato sounds fantastic......Rick Derringer next~~

fredblue likes this.
  23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Whoa boy, Poco albums in Quad are AMAZING! I'm a big Poco fan up until they released Indian Summer. Saw them live 3 times in the 70's, and once a few years ago during Paul Cotton's last tour with them.

These two albums in Quad are great, let's hope we get more Poco from Vocalion!!!

24. :sweating:Still waiting on mine to arrive. These reviews are making me more excited.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Mine finally showed up today. Took a month. Haven’t even thought about playing them yet. May have to wait until this weekend. Too many other things going on, to say nothing of other similar ‘newly acquired discs’ in the queue.

Now playing in my living room and most likely being heard by folks down the street too:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.