Cheap old 80's CDs that actually sound terrific

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steven Henry, Jul 9, 2018.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

I do. Because they got it right the first time. A wonderful album, too.

2. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Fair point - I just find it so depressing/indulgent!

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Stay far away from this old excellent sounding puppy then :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

4. Steven Henry

Steven Henry Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. Steven Henry

Steven Henry Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m a big fan of New Sensations especially. I have an original vinyl pressing that sounds terrific. Didn’t sell much when released, so I’m surprised at how many nice used copies I come across. An easy-to-find, inexpensive classic.

6. c-eling

New Order-Technique, 1989
    This can still be had for dirt cheap on the used market, make sure to grab the US manufacture :)
    [​IMG]

7. c-eling

Madonna-Like A Prayer, 1989
    Oh Father is quite something
    [​IMG]

8. c-eling

Men At Work-Cargo, beware some manufactures carry pre-emphasis
    [​IMG]

mdm08033 likes this.
  9. Of course we don't all prefer 80's CD's! Most I bought back in 1987 were in truth being hyped as an "absolute copy of the master tape" when in reality they were transferred from second or third generation dubs or LP cutting tapes. Add to that the A to D conversion tech wasn't anywhere near as good as today. I have owned many 80's CD's and not many in truth I regret selling. Even a stunning period remix / remaster from the original multi-tracks like Elvis' "The Memphis Record" sounds very veiled and thin today. It sounded incredible in 1987 though. Compare that to the 2009 Legacy CD - apart from the obvious mix differences, the sound in the later mastering is completely transparent, rich and deep.

What is smiley "car EQ" though? I really don't believe sample rates help much here otherwise there wouldn't be any 80's CD's worth listening to today. As this forum knows, the media and the sample rates / resolution come a lowly second to the quality of the mastering where sound quality is concerned. There are some good 80's CD's and some have been mentioned in this thread already but buying 80's CD's in general is absolutely no guarantee of quality. There have been as many great remasters as bad ones. It's a headache sorting the wheat from the chaff at times but this forum can offer some community wisdom.

PS - I agree about "180g vinyl". The weight makes absolutely zero difference. Most manufacturers cannot press anything flat over 130g anyway so what's the point? Also the whole Japanese Blu Spec / 2 and SHM is another lot of marketing nonsense. There is no scientific evidence to suggest superiority over the standard CD.

10. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

The Ryko remasters of Costello's first 3 LPs. This Year's Model is stunning.

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Sammy Davis Jr. Sings Laurindo Almaida Plays (1991cd)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Lurgan Lad and Front 242 Addict like this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's not pointless at all. It means they can flog the same album again to people. But it's best if the remaster is flawed in some way (too loud or missing some bonus tracks) as then they can release another version which corrects the mistakes of the remaster.

So no, it's not pointless. It's capitalism at its finest.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Lurgan Lad likes this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Huey Lewis and the News--original Sports cd on Chrysalis.

15. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

:righton:

I just listened to the Count Basie 'Compact Jazz' disc today, and it was stunningly beautiful sound.

basie-fan and George P like this.
  16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The original "All Things Must Pass" (1987?) sounded great to me.

crispi, Lewisboogie and Rickchick like this.
  17. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Based on your comment, i ordered Pat Benatar's first cd (original european Chrysalis) and it is indeed great sounding, so thanks for the tip.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This is the DCC disc, right? I have it and it does sound great.

Lurgan Lad and yasujiro like this.
  19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Genesis - Invisible Touch (1986 UK V/C disc). Absolutely terrific production once cranked up - Tonight Tonight Tonight totally grabs you on this one, I never understood why they even bothered remastering such a tremendous-sounding album.

Steve Winwood's "Back in the High Life" still can be had in a non-remastered repress from a few years back which also sounds absolutely gorgeous - punch, great dynamics.

I also continue to recommend the 1983 CD pressing of Heaven 17s fabulous debut "Penthouse and Pavement". It's a bit quiet so you have to turn it up quite a lot to recognize its sonic qualities, but they're here big time :cool:

20. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Billy Joel The Bridge
    Steve Winwood Back in the Highlife

Both from 1986, and both are Japan for USA. I got them last week for $1.88 each and they are superb sound wise! I would never want a remaster or upgrade on either.

21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's great how cheaply many a great-sounding 80s disc can be had. Even sealed, some are cheaper than their remastered counterparts.

22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Edit: forgot Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms ('85 WG Vertigo) and Communiqué ('87 WG Vertigo). Got both for two bucks each.

c-eling likes this.
  23. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Dbstay, nsmith1002, Blue Note and 4 others like this.
  24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

John Denver's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and 3 on the 1980s CD issues actually do sound decent. The first volume is best with the Sony/Legacy remaster and that is also a cheap CD.

The Rick Springfield Greatest Hits CD to get if you want good sound over tons of songs and the other frills is the 1989 Greatest Hits compilation. The 1980s CD mastering of his Working Class Dog as well as the original LP sound great as well.

Lewisboogie and bataclan2002 like this.
  25. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I have so many Rick Springfield comps but not that one. My suspicion was that it was the best. Thanks for the tip!