What artist gets the shortest shrift on this forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I think you’re onto something there.

Yello, for example, gets very little attention around here as far as I can tell.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it's a mistake to see Yule as a replacement for Cale - the point is he never was, never could be, and wasn't intended to be.
    His recruitment was based on Lou's decision to go a more commercial route and tone down the avant elements, and a number of musicians could have filled that role. Yule wasn't unique in any way, but he did his job very well and contributed a lot instrumentally.

3. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I also slightly prefer the Yule era. They sound like a real, working band, whereas the Cale period, while good and interesting, sounds like Warhol's house band.

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Indigo Girls

5. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

Bowie's late 70s band, particularly the rhythm section of Alomar, Davis, and Murray. They never get as much respect or recognition as The Spiders, yet they were one of his best bands and allowed him to evolve past glam rock and novelty.

DTK likes this.
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder why Wilbert Harrison (of Kansas City fame) gets so little interest.

As far as I know, he recorded a lot, but what he did has not been represented well on cd.

8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Mrs. Miller.

dalem5467 likes this.
  9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

notesfrom, Crimson jon and buzzzx like this.
  10. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

Unquestionably, it is Daddy Dewdrop. :cool:
    Considering how much Me-TV FM is cohabiting with MGM (Not a day elapses that it does not play "The Rain, The Park, and Other Things" by the Cowsills, and "Wonderful World" by Herman's Hermits, and add to that it loves {be thankful I couldn't find the heart symbol to paste in here} Kenny Rogers), for it to not play "Chick-a-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It)", is entirely derelict!
    Go on. Show me a Daddy Dewdrop thread on SHMF. You cannot. ;)

11. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I've never understood all the McCartney hate here.

12. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

It's the internet. Someone has to be hip and edgy.

13. HaileyMcComet

My apologies. I did not know that 8 days was beyond the cut off date to reply to posts.

I'm new here. Can anyone tell me what the time limit is? Is 3 days allowed?

14. HaileyMcComet

Stereotypical Americans are the best kind. Monotypic Americans just don't sound as good.

15. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Lambchop - can’t understand why so many Americans especially don’t ‘get’ this band. The music is wonderful.

keyse1 likes this.
  16. Gordon Giltrap - the greatest living acoustic guitarist in Britain. He made three (arguably four) of the best prog rock albums in the 70's. In a forum obsessed with the 70's and prog rock, he never gets a mention. The fact that I alone mention him here (and elsewhere) and no one will follow up, just proves the point. He's past 70 now and still going strong, performing concerts regularly throughout the year and last year he made one of his best albums with Paul Ward, The Last of England.

17. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Dwight Twilly....

AKA-Chuck G and keyse1 like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Cheeky dismissal of the perhaps most influential rock band to come out of the late 60s. That's the band that inspired 1000s of other bands. The influence is mainly due to the the first two albums.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

True. I think the issue is that with Bowie, he was always the star, his band members mere employees.

20. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I'd argue the influence is due to the first three albums.

21. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

Aye, I've just seen the Spiders talked about far more than anyone else he worked with, when they only represent a small sliver of his output, and were not the best musicians he worked with

DTK likes this.
  22. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Yes...more like 11 days of still bitching about my post is WAY BEYOND expiration date...I have been summarily admonished...it would be different if you actually had something to add...you're just piling on...don't need that kind of crap for a stupid post...

23. Pigeon City

Pigeon City Indonesian and Asian Music Afficionado

I think synthesizer players and music in general are misunderstood seeing how most people like “real” instruments. I could care less about if the horn section sounds on the latest 60’s influenced songs are real or sampled.
    Also, I think Depeche Mode, 80’s synthpop, Europop, Eurodance, anything with “bad” synth sounds and David Lee Roth’s 80’s solo work don’t get enough respect here either. What’s wrong with synth brass and synth strings? I use them all the time in my music because I don’t want to use real horns or strings or orchestral instruments on my records for budget reasons.

Devin, Uther and Crimson jon like this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Jackie Wilson

danasgoodstuff and ROFLnaked like this.
  25. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Bought several of his albums in the seventies & eighties and it's probably a but unfair he's mainly known for Heartsong being the them to the Holiday programme.

SteveM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.