When adding stuff to discogs collection, how do you know if you have the right version?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by colby2415, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I don't believe there is. It should be a useful addition since I forgot to link some of my submissions too. Sometimes someone else catches it before I do. Recently, I caught forgetting to add my newest submission myself after 2 days.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just added another released version and had to go back to link it to the master release page.

David Cassidy - Cherish, Promo, Mono, Stereo

Still wish I could do it on the fly, but maybe its better to link it to the master release page after submission.

Darryl

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I check the sleeve, labels, catalogue numbers and matrix codes of both LP sides and if they still don't match after long search I'll pick the closest entry
    and add infos of my copy on the comment bar in the collection page, probably not a good idea though. But I usually find the exact copy of what I have there.

Galley likes this.
  9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Good on you for adding photos immediately. Different labels are automatically a shoe-in for a separate release. I once remember requesting a merge for two releases. The guy who added it used photos from a pre-existing submission (the other release I was trying to merge it with) and before anyone could take a look at my merge request, he added his own photos and different pressing info and it made me look like a doofus for requesting a merge in the first place.

And I always link my release to the master page because I have it open in another tab. Sometimes it escapes my mind but someone almost always comes along to fix my mistake for me.

10. Sometimes albums are merged because there is no significant difference seen by other users. After the merge only 1 copy remains = the earlier entry.
    The other copy goes to your private "draft" section and is not anymore visible in the official Discogs list.

Discogs is NOT a database for music but only for physical attributes. Music is the runner up.
    JCD

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The photo is the first thing I ad (before anything else).
    I get frustrated at listings with no photos.

Darryl

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  12. Pictures are not required at DISCOGS for an Item. They do not belong to the "minimum requirements) acc. the Guidelines of DISCOGS.

Just to name a few important attributes and Informations for an individual release
    - Front cover
    - rear cover
    - label A or B
    - reissue date
    - manufacturer Country
    - Cat #'s (original and/or reissue)
    - Matrix & varioations

even a missing "dot" or "Comma" in the liner notes or elsewhere can mean a different individual release at DISCOGS.
    That has nothing to do with music (genres a.o.)
    JCD

13. Just below the label is a field for Series at Discogs.

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Pictures should be required for listings. Most people have a camera in their phone.
    I'm lazy at adding labels on listings.

Still learning this as I go. Sometimes I refer back to this thread, as a reminder of some of the editing tips I've forgotten.

Darryl

15. OK you're welcome. PM me when questions arise. I joined Discogs in 2012 an d closed my account in 2017 after discussions in the forum.
    Rejoined later in 2017 and closed for good in 2o18.
    Lost my complete work for my own collection from many years. Discogs is a great "Kindergarten" for some big egos dominating the scene and the Guidelines.
    I am a music fan only and my foremost Interest is that a vinyl has a clean playback without noise. The music is important for me & not the matrix print

16. IMO "Promo" can be added to the format. Then it appears in the form .
    There is a box to tick.

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thanks for the info. Will remember to look for the promo box to tick. Thankfully most of the promo 45s I have been adding already have listings. However I have seen Bell promo 45s with different color printed text.

Darryl

18. Same text but different color or printing layout means a different Item

Willie

greelywinger and SixOClockBoos like this.
  19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I understand how it happens now, I just don't like it. I use Discogs to track my collection more for getting the exact physical version. I wish you had the ability to freeze things on the Master Release level even if the specific version changes or gets merged.

20. You can sort the master release for finding your own copy. Start with county or Cat#. Some features on Discogs are really good. The forums are a mess and playground for big egos.
    W.

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Right, but for the very basic 'do I have this album at all in any form' it would be nice if the Master release stayed checked even if your specific cat# got merged or deleted.

22. That is not possible because acc the Discogs philosophy only one Item is allowed. The merged Item is in your private draft folder

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just added a Bee Gees 45 from the Philippines that was not in the database.
    Spent some time searching various ways (coming up with nothing) before adding.
    Linked to the master release page.

Bee Gees - To Love Somebody/Close Another Door

Darryl

Dave likes this.
  24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.