Jimi Hendrix: Maui 1970...??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by weavzy, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper Thread Starter

Kurt Max, Roberto899, JakeM and 4 others like this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I hope the 2nd set gets a release, one of best gigs he did in 1970

3. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper Thread Starter

Incredible shows. Fingers crossed its on its way.

4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

yep, the first is ok but the 2nd is sublime

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It deserves an official release. However, unless they have found new tapes or some way to fix the drums, this is Dagger material. The quality is not good enough for a mainstream release.

Kurt Max and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Do you think this will see a release and if so does anyone know of a track listing ?

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

There is a great boot around the traps with lots of live footage even though incomplete.

A unique venue and a daytime concert certainly adds to the visual appeal.

2 great sets but everyone wants the second one in full.

A few years back a 2cd release came out of both sets on "Banana" i think and a Yameta guy from the 60's John Hillman (If i recall correctly) was behind it.
    It had a light blue cover with a minimalist linear art model of Jimi playing.

8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I don’t have my purple box readily available, are the tracks on that box and Foxy Lady on Voodoo Child the ones overdubbed by Mitch?

The first set has the ‘hits’ and is mostly the one in the movie, but the second is a testing ground for his new direction

Frittenköter likes this.
  9. John Harchar

They’ve strongly hinted that Maui will be released, possibly within the next couple of releases. The set lists are on the Hendrix site in the encyclopedia under the live section for July 30, 1970

DrBeatle and tinnox like this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Thank you I appreciate the info.

bluejimbop likes this.
  11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Sadly, they are. Mitch's overdubs sound awful.

DTK likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, they have the overdubbed drums.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I wouldn’t say they sound awful. They do have a more polished sound, but without the overdubs, you have no drums on those recordings. At least they were done in 70/71 AND by Mitch :)

14. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

You can never have a Hendrix thread without some bore making some ridiculous anti-Mitch or Noel comment. It's truly hilarious.

Of course they don't sound awful - it's just someone with a weird axe to grind.

15. Doctor Flang

The original recordings do have drums. The problem is that they weren't very well recorded, most likely because of the wind and the improvised wind-shields. You can hear the orginal drum track on most of the tracks on the circulating tape. Apparently Mitch overdubbed only the tracks that were to be used in the film.

Well, you won't hear that kind of stuff from me.

My point is that the overdubbed drums sound terribly out of place. I much prefer the original drum tracks.

DTK likes this.
  16. Doctor Flang

Oh, most of the Maui material has disappeared from Youtube. It might be a good sign.

17. pool_of_tears

He doesn’t appear to have an axe to grind.

DTK likes this.
  18. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i wonder if the drums can be fixed using triggering/sampling technology, but with just how poorly recorded they are, probably not. still, better a wonderful gig with poorly recorded drums than a mediocre one with well-recorded ones (and Maui deserves an official release, it's Jimi in good spirits playing his 455 off.

19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

They could easily be fixed. If there was a sound recorded for each drum, it can all be split out and irrelevant noise (wind) removed. They wouldn't need to use triggering either. I would hope they don't.

20. Frittenköter

if the recording is anything like what trickled out, i highly doubt the drums were even well-recorded enough for what you suggested to suffice.

21. John Harchar

That's part of the problem, the wind was so strong, it took the sound away from the mike before it got there!

[​IMG]

Doggiedogma and Frittenköter like this.
  22. Frittenköter

as is in evidence on the undubbed soundboard and the audience recording.

23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I would think if the release was imminent, it would have been announced to coincide with "on this day in 1970..."

Then again, the announcement of Both Sides of the Sky missed Jimi's 75th birthday by nine days, so...

24. pool_of_tears

They do have drums but they’re not very audible in the mix. That’s what I should’ve said.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's not just the drums; the vocals are muffled due to the foam taped to the vocal microphone as improvised wind protection. Amateur hour.
    As Mitch said, the film people "couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery". :D
    I'm not necessarily against this being a hyped release on SONY, but it would be an interesting development; the first time EH use bootleg quality live recordings in that manner.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    kees1954 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.