Golden Earring - new boxset "The Complete Studio Recordings"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJConroy, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Wish there was a modest box just for the albums from 1970-1975...

Slim Zooms likes this.
  2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Why be modest those albums are fantastic ........:D.....:shtiphat:

3. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Seriously folks, anyone know what happened to Eelco Gelling? Listening to 'Live' from 77 the guitars are spectacular! He was a good player.

4. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I think the band felt that they were stronger as a four piece and that a five piece line-up made them less focussed. Obviously Eelco was battling some addictions at the time as well.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  5. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Did he recover and have a career?
    I agree, you can't beat 'the 4'. It's just that on Contraband & Live he really pushes George to some great playing.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’d start with Eight Miles High and go through Golden Earring Live ‘77. Including all b-sides. Give it to Chris Bellman to remaster. That would make a lovely box set.

7. Preach!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Definitely worth picking up the Millbrook DVD (I got it for a little under $20 including shipping). Just watched it today. Mostly just listened but occasionally looked up from what I was doing to see what was going on in the non-song parts - them messing around in the studio, buying cowboy boots in a store, etc - even watched some of the live bits, cool to see them playing, George lays down some great solos for the camera, some overlays of the different guys all playing/singing, also can see what George vs. Frank are doing.

Not sure if these are the actual songs laid down for the album or just recreations in the studio, either way worth getting, if you have the album and like it will enhance your enjoyment (and I haven't even watched the documentary or extra bonus stuff yet) or if you don't have the album because it is ridiculously expensive now then here is a way to get the album (as a DVD) for a reasonable price.

scotti and Slim Zooms like this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

This week I'm mainly trying to get into To The Hilt. Must admit I like some of the tracks a lot but can understand the frustration of fans who'd bought Moontan & then Switch! Standouts for me are the title track ( reminds me of the Who in the vocals for sure), Face dancer ( bit of a coincidence that the Who had an album called Face Dances isn't it, not that I am reading anything into that) Nomad (bit of a departure, parts of it would not be out of place on a Brand X album!) & Sleepwalkin'. I have to say however I have real loathing for Latin Lightning. The addition of keyboards on this album in particular is a bit hit & miss. I much prefer the all out rock sound of Contraband. :shtiphat:

scotti likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

To The Hilt has always been one of my favorite albums by them. Just ran a cross an original vinyl copy in excellent shape for only $4 at my local shop a couple of weeks a go. The song "Violins" is one of my favorite songs by them. The line about the albino monkey is classic. Contraband is one of my other favorites and as of late have been digging the heck out of the first 2 LP live set.

Got the limited edition vinyl of Millbrook U.S.A on order and looking forward to it as I have never heard that particular album.

11. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I will revisit Violins as I wasn't so crazy on it last time I listened. Hope you enjoy Millbrook, I think its pretty good.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

To The Hilt has always been one of my favorites. I love the whole thing with the exception of the title track...which is just below for me.

scotti and Slim Zooms like this.
  13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Crikey, I've had the box set since November & most of them are my favourites now! The Live album from 77 has been doing heavy rotation recently in my house & has led me back to The Hilt.
    I must play it again soon. Too much great music, so little time :help:

scotti likes this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hope you like it more after another listen or so. It is a grower and the lyrics are classic through the entire song. I will admit the ending goes on a tad too long...

Question for any member/fan here...I have the CD of Contraband and my vinyl is the US "Mad Love" version. What was the reason for the title change (was it to draw attention to that particular song because of the FM play here in the States?)

And is it just me, but does the cover of the "Contraband" version leave one wondering what the heck were they thinking?

Back to Millbrook U.S.A - missed it when it was released and then used copies sky rocketed. So my patience has paid off with the MOV release this week in the US. Their last newer release I got was Tits" N Ass, which I like very much, only have the CD, does the vinyl sound much better?

The Hague - never got this one either, how is that one? Realize it's just an EP...but trying to finish off my collection. I would say out of their early releases (not going all the way back though) the Wall of Dolls album is another particular favorite.

Any news of a new full length release on the horizon?

Slim Zooms likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What does that mean - what is an "MOV release"?

16. MOV = music on vinyl. Reissues on 180 gr vinyl... based in the Netherlands

slipkid likes this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks, I never heard of that!

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

MOV is a pretty good company in regards to vinyl releases (they release a lot hard to find/obscure titles). They claim audiophile quality, most all are 180G, but they are mostly digital transfers. I have been very happy with their sound quality and normally buy their titles with no hesitation.

There is a specific thread on this forum that speaks to their quality/titles...worth checking out...under - "Music On Vinyl" Records...

They did a really nice job with "Moontan" even has the original import cover.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  19. +1 on all of the above!

scotti likes this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Alive... Through The Years

11 CD boxset of all Live recordings & rarities coming in September.

21. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi Claus, where did you read this?

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Universal Music will release a limited 11CD box set from the Golden Earring called 'Alive…through the years'. Together with Red Bullet the band collected 7 live albums, plus some unique recordings previously only available as b-sides. Also included are several recordings from the Five Zero Show from 2015, which were only available on DVD before. The live albums are divided in 6 digipacks. The 7th CD is a bonus disc with live rarities. The box further contains a 32 page booklet with liner notes from Tjerk Lammers. In this booklet the various Live LPs are highlighted separately. And the existence of a band on-the-road come alive by various anecdotes as told by Tjerk, who also recently interviewed lead singer Barry Hay for this box set and who in 2015 published a book about the Golden Earring. The booklet is illustrated with beautiful photographs from the Vinkes brothers, who have been photographing the Golden Earring as early as the late 70's. 'Alive…Through the years' is the successor of the Complete Studio Recordings box set which was released 2 years ago. And just like the latter this new live box set will also be released as a limited numbered edition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FSWH7TQ/

23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks Claus. Had a look on Amazon at the tracklistings. I may have to give this a swerve as I have 8 of the 11 discs. I was hoping for an expanded live 77 & possibly a whole Scheveningen beach gig or even some stuff from the Moontan or Switch tours. Curses!!

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Am gonna have to keep an eye out for that on somewhere like ImportCDs, see if I can get it for under $100. Even then kinda hard to justify the expense for only one disc that I need but I'd like to get it.

P.S. I did manage to get the Kooymans Carillo album from 2010, just listened to it a couple times last night, it's great and I highly recommend it to other G.E. fans.

Jimmy Agates and Slim Zooms like this.
  25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Some of the tracks are from the Five Zero DVD which I downloaded from Amazon last night. I watched it last night and really enjoyed it, possibly the whole soundtrack could have been released on this set? Barry's vocals are a bit frayed in parts but the show has great energy and the playing is great.
    I will look out for Kooymans/ Carillo.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.