Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

You wanted the best, you got the best! The hottest show in the land...!

Better Call Saul. Season 4.

It's right around the corner now, on August 6th.

I'm getting close to watching Season 3 again in preparation.

From the little previews that I've cared to watch, it looks a lot darker than Season 3, even.

Goodbye Jimmy. Hello Saul.

2. EVOLVIST

Less than a week away. I don't know about you guys and dolls, but I'm geeked.

I suppose everyone is simply waiting for the first episode to air. :)

Leviethan likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The clip for the first episode open (black & white w/Gene) is really good. Not sure if what is posted online is the whole thing or not.

4. EVOLVIST

Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to see that yet. I think I'll wait for commercial filled episode to get my fix. :)

George P, mmars982 and Gumboo like this.
  5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I’m enjoying this more than I ever did Breaking Bad, and I loved B.B. Jimmy is a sympathetic character (with emphasis on pathetic), unlike Walter White.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just finished re-watching Season 3 on Blu-ray, a two day binge, it was an excellent revisit. Can't wait for the new season, not much longer.

I enjoyed the Pollos Hermanos training videos on the disc set. Here's one of the ten:

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I've been waiting for this. Started re-watching Season 3 this weekend to help refresh.

I'm somewhat surprised the ratings have dropped off as much as they have. The show hasn't jumped the shark by any means, I just think it's slower paced than Breaking Bad. It kind of has to be. There's a difference between Walter White racing out to the desert to get his barrels of money and "Jimmy" hustling a nursing home crowd. But I can watch both that and Mike Ehrmantraut spend 10 minutes switching out a GPS tracker from his gas cap and find it pretty darn fascinating.

It doesn't matter. If I was the head of a network station and Vince Gilligan wanted to retcon some backstory into Breaking Bad, I've give him an open checkbook and let him do whatever he wants.

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

AMC already greenlit a season 5, so they aren't concerned.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree - I think I've seen just enough of the preview type of stuff and interviews. Gonna just wait for Monday's opener. I won't even consider watching BCS without a DVR - it has, by far, the most commercials of any show I have ever watched. It's torture sitting through all that garbage. I found that starting the DVR playback right at 25 mins after the broadcast starts is just right.

sberger and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. EVOLVIST

Yeah, there's so much money to be made outside of ratings these days. It will be on Netflix before you know it, plus blu ray/DVD sales, mercy, but the biggest factor is Sony being part "owner" of the show. Sony has a superb track record with backing the right shows to conclusion.

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

You just know that Jimmy will eventually break bad and become Saul, but the event that pushes him over the edge hasn’t occurred yet.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Same with Mike. They're both gradually turning into the characters they were in Breaking Bad, but you know something really bad is coming that they won't be able to handle.

jwoverho likes this.
  13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I would watch shows with Howard or Kim as the lead character. BCS is really really good.

MikeInFla and Leviethan like this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I would think it probably has (last episode of previous season).

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

That's definitely going to change him but I think there's something even bigger down the road. I assume involving Kim and it'll be why we never saw or heard about her in Breaking Bad.

Comet01 likes this.
  16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Possibly. But we didn't see every aspect of his life in BB.

mmars982 likes this.
  17. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I just caught up on season three last week and I'm going to watch this in real-time; that says a lot about how much my wife and I are loving this show, because the last time we did that was The Office before Carell left. I don't have cable anymore but I reckon we'll get one of the season passes online someplace to watch the next day.

Jimmy is such a perfectly realized character. Bob Odenkirk's performance in the season finale was just breathtaking IMO. I can't wait to see where the story takes him next, even though I also dread the outcome.

I'm excited to join the discussion this year; I followed the conversation on these threads as I caught up and really enjoyed that.

Gems-A-Bems, EVOLVIST, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I love how these guys do “extra” stuff like this - they don’t have to, but it’s a great little add-on for the fans, and they sure seem to enjoy it. I always note phone numbers used on the show, for example. The don’t do the “call me at 555-7129” stuff that most shows do; they often have real numbers. Call ‘em up and hear “in character” messages from the cast for a laugh. :righton:

Gems-A-Bems and Tim S like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I binged half of the third season today myself and will watch the other half tomorrow.

I had either forgotten or didn't notice the little detail about Chuck lying to his ex-wife about a mix up in his electrical bill payment, a mix up that involved the switching around of house numbers. This suggests that Jimmy learned about this kind of lie, which he would later use to trip Chuck up with Mesa Verde, from Chuck himself.

Now, what Jimmy did was far more serious than what Chuck used the lie for, but perhaps this further explains why Chuck was so upset by this. Jimmy got him with a lie he had seen his older brother use. So, perhaps Chuck being so upset by this could be partially explained by that Jungian theory that the things which we most detest in others are the things we ourselves do, yet fail to see.

MikeInFla, Hot Ptah, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's how I feel about Matthew Weiner (Sopranos, Mad Men). I think BB and BCS succeed in spite of Gilligan, not because of him.

Chuck was not the most self-aware person as written, and his number 1 motivation was to hurt Jimmy. In the end that over-rode all his other motivations, which is why Gilligan had to go with the suicide. It's a good move, for sure, in terms of the show. The dynamics between Chuck and Jimmy after three seasons had fully run their course.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Two recent trailers:

artfromtex likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

23. EVOLVIST

I noticed this, myself, while doing my own binge (only two more episodes to go), and I thought, "This is what makes BCS/BB so good, how they weave in subtle things to drive home larger points." After all, it's been argued that Chuck and Jimmy are more alike than not, only Chuck conducts his chicanery behind a mask of righteousness. Jimmy's mask is just Jimmy. Chuck died because he cannot live with himself as a failure. Jimmy dies to be reborn as Saul, because he won't except failure.

Say what you want about Saul Goodman, but whatever your chosen vocation, be the best at it, even if it's criminal.

It's funny to think that Jimmy employs a lot of half-measures to achieve big results, which was what Chuck despised to much, because Chuck had to work hard to achieve similar results, while Jimmy never had to.

Speaking of "Chicanery," Season 3, Episode 5, is certainly one of the most perfect episodes of any show I've ever seen. I have a rough list in my head, and "Chicanery" is somewhere up there in that lofty stratosphere.

24. EVOLVIST

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Tonight's the night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.