Poll - Do you like drum solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

When I was 15...........and in concert now, I especially hate them over about 5 minutes. I'm thinking that might be too long.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Depends on the drummer but even more on the length. Ginger Baker's 12 minutes on the live "Toad" and John Bonham's 17 minutes on the live "Moby Dick"(from How the West Was Won) are excessive ego trips.

Zoot Marimba and Man at C&A like this.
  3. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Depends on who's playing. I can think of a solo by Joey Baron that's my favorite moment on the album in question. I particularly like the format where the other instruments keep time and the drummer plays freely.

I don't have much use for 5+ minute solos, especially from rock drummers. OTOH I could listen to Chris Coleman play in weird time signatures all day.

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Another vote for Baron here, but he’s the exception not the rule. Most drummers have a very limited view of what to do with their spotlight, thinking it’s all about speed, volume and aggression. Baron makes music with drums, which is incredibly rare.

I also like the opening of the Get All You Deserve concert where Marco Minnemann plays unaccompanied until the other band members come in.

ostrichfarm likes this.
  5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Most rock and metal- no!

Creative drumming by Paul Motian, Joey Baron, Jack DeJohnette, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Roy Haynes-Yes!

Some drummers are so phenomenal I can put up with the pyrotechnics. Marco Minnemann, Dennis Chambers, Billy Cobham, Chad Wackerman, etc...

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  6. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

In general I like most jazz drummers soloing. Most rock drummers are just showing off with little regard to the song.

YardByrd likes this.
  7. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I voted no. I can tolerate drum solos of under 1 minute but anything over a minute reeks of self indulgence.

8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I sympathise with negative opinions of drum solos especialy rock and metal.I could never help enjoying live solos from certain drummers on record.While there is an argument the technical flash was only self indulgent showing off and aimless meandering some off my very favorite live recorded music still to this day are drum solos by rock drummers like Neil Peart,Krunsman, and especially John Bonham.I really must defend the solo on How the West Was Won,The Song Remains The Same and even Paris`69.I get into jazz and other forms of drumming but the feeling and innovation of Bonham is still unparalleded when I listen.

9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Joe Morello

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  10. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Absolutely! As long as it's not drawn out.

Look at "The End" by the Beatles. Ringo's little drum solo isn't even anything amazing, but it's one of the most iconic drum solos and memorable parts of the song.
    It's short, simple and SWEET!

Zoot Marimba, CrombyMouse and Folknik like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Moby Dick is too long on Led Zeppelin II. Great riff at the beginning and end, with a load of aimless nonsense in the middle.

YardByrd and Jazzmonkie like this.
  12. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I prefer jazz drummers and generally I like their solos and, not that it matters, style or period.
    For the rock drummers, but some of them are also crossover (Michael Shrieve, Bill Bruford, Jon Hiseman and so on) it depends on the drummer.
    In this case, I like more crossover drummers who can play interchangeably in various contexts.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The length of the drum solo on Led Zeppelin II is tolerable compared to some of the epic length drum solos out there. It's just not a very inspired solo. Bonham was better than that.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

2 of my favorite drums solos are by the underrated Randy Sheol of the Strawberry Alarm Clock on "Lose to Live" and "Unwind With the Clock" on the Incense and Peppermints album. Both are under a minute long and very inspired, showing his jazz chops and saying all that needs to be said musically without dragging it on past the point of "Enough already."
    I also like Ron Bushy's amplified drum solo on the studio version of "In A Gadda Da Vida." The longer one on the live version runs out of steam before it's over.

15. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

YES! When the drummer is better than I am I watch and listen in aw. When I think I can beat (pun intended) the drummer I still listen and watch in aw because she/he is up there and I am not. .....

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

Andy Smith likes this.
  17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

That's the very chap.

C'mon, own up; when you saw that sign how many muttered "Never a truer word...."

18. George P

George P Notable Member

It made me think of this guy:

[​IMG]

19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'd rather have a pub full of drummers than guitarists any day of the week.

Pub full of drummers - people getting drunk & having a laugh
    Pub full of guitarists - people sitting around talking about amps & moaning about their bird dumping them

YardByrd and Andy Smith like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I like Bill's solos when he was the only drummer. Usually long enough but not too long.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  21. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Short and sweet-for all band members-during the band intro segment. Also okay as a segue between songs, or pre-encore like the Coral Reefer Band.

22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Yes, as long as they don't go on forever, and are by Art Blakey or Elvin Jones

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved them since I was a kid...

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, probably one of the most famous back then.

25. Elvin Jones on "The Drum Thing".
    Buddy Rich on "Channel One Suite".
    Ginger Baker on "Do What You Like".

Those are the exceptions. Otherwise, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.