Magazine - Real Life (1978)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mother

Mother Forum Resident Thread Starter

This band and certainly this album get short shrift around these parts. What a great, angular, spiky, art rock album Real Life (1978) is from British post-punk outfit Magazine.

Howard Devoto, ex-Buzzcocks on vocals. Pete Shelley has a couple of co-writes on here and the whole thing still sounds fresh and current.

Barry Adamson (Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds) on bass, produced by John Leckie (XTC, Simple Minds, Human League, The Fall, Stone Roses etc etc) and John McGeoch on guitar (Siouxsie, Visage, PiL).

This album is highly recommended for anyone potentially into this genre. Get hold of this rewarding, influential and somewhat forgotten classic.

[​IMG]

Vils, D.B., The Curator and 22 others like this.
  2. zither

zither Forum Resident

It's a great album. 'Shot By Both Sides' was one of the best singles of 1978. It had a memorable picture sleeve too..

[​IMG]

3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Agreed on all counts, but forgotten? It's in any list about the genre and era.

SteveM, Droogmeister, hutlock and 4 others like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I recall that Shot from Both Sides was reasonably big. I know John Peel played it at the time. If memory serves right, they were labelled as "Power Pop", since they came at the end of punk.

Mother likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Don't forget that the album doesn't contain the definitive version of "Shot By Both Sides". That's only on the single. The band lost the master and had to rerecord it for "Real Life". Which didn't work as well.

Great classic "debut" nevertheless!

6. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

I didn't know the band had lost the master for the single version. Careless !

Neonbeam and Mother like this.
  7. Mother

Far from forgotten. What a cracking album

Droogmeister and hutlock like this.
  8. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I've been to many great concerts over the years, but my favourite live band were, and remain, Magazine.

I was at college in Manchester, their hometown, during the heyday of Magazine 1978-1981, and they were as big as anything else in the new wave/indie scene in that part of the world, at least until New Order took off. The 'Shot By Both Sides' single is a classic, and better than the re-recorded version on 'Real Life'. The energy of the single was mind-blowing at the time. I saw them a few times during 1979/1980, and those concerts still live with me. Thankfully, one was recorded and a few tracks from that Russell Club performance were officially released. I also saw them for 2009 reunion. Still a class act.

They did struggle to gain wider acceptance. Their mix of high-energy new wave pop and longer-form multi-part songs (almost prog) on the albums and in-concert appeared to frustrate in equal measure those who preferred one or the other song style. I just needed the slow songs to recover in the mosh-pit.

Their albums stand up to being played all the way through, which cannot be said for many of their contemporaries. No doubt those already sold on Magazine will welcome this thread and the discussion about 'Real Life', but it would also be interesting to hear the opinions of listeners new to this album forty years after its release.

Beamish13, captone, mrbiggs and 4 others like this.
  9. Mother

I'm one of those new listeners, and it ticks all boxes. An exhilarating listen 40 years on. :love:

captone and Chrome_Head like this.
  10. jcarr73729

So what master did they use for the 2007 extended 'Real Life' with the bonus single tracks?

bleachershane, fRa and Mother like this.
  11. Mother

The sooner I get a hold of that single the better.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. zither

zither Forum Resident

I think many of the new wave albums around '78 sound far more contemporary than their punk predecessors. If Magazine released this album today it would still sound fresh and exciting.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

When you get one it's worth turning it over. Magnificent B-side:

14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I was/am a big fan of Magazine. I think some of the albums certainly Real Life have had a recent vinyl release. Sorry I can't remember if the single version of Shot By Both Sides has made it onto official cd. Overall with the small cd box, the remasters and the Peel cd the Magazine catalogue on cd is pretty good. It should all be affordable for folk wishing to buy any.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Mother

My word. Visage, which appears to utilise the same musicians sounds good. Likewise Rich Kids.

zither likes this.
  16. jcarr73729

Magazine - Real Life

Mother and Flaming Torch like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks, I have that cd. I take it the tapes of the single were found?

Mother likes this.
  18. zither

zither Forum Resident

'Fade To Grey' is another example of a single that could be released today and still be contemporary.

Man at C&A and Mother like this.
  19. Mother

Is this the single non album version? Bear with me I'm new to all things Devoto/Magazine.

What a colossal track either way.

Droogmeister likes this.
  20. jcarr73729

Yes.
    The original single ends with guitar feedback and organ
    The album version has a little rise in the organ at the end.
    The drums are much higher in the album recording.
    The original has all the hungry energy of a first single.

brianvargo, hutlock and Mother like this.
  21. Mother

A Hungry energy rarely heralded from anyone, Illuminati notwithstanding

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  22. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I remember playing it for the first time (I had the U.K. cassette) and being disappointed that "Shot...' was a different version, but 'Motorcade' and the wonderful 'The Light Pours Out Of Me' (my favourite) soon made up for it!

Mother likes this.
  23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I actually remember the first time Peel played the single. I think it was the first week of January 1978, and he said something like it’s only the first week of January, and already we have the best single of the year. He wasn’t wrong. I don’t remember them being labelled power pop. Probably post punk.

24. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Never understood the Kennedy Assassination theme in the titles...

25. Mother

It's one of the greatest songs of all time.

Dave Decadent and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.