Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I found this in the cheapie bins and it’s great. I know Richter has a titanic reputation here but this is one of my first discs by him.

[​IMG]

Russian Piano School, vol. 6: Sviatoslav Richter. Melodiya.

I’m also making my way through Bernstein’s DG Mahler cycle, no. 4 today. I am a Mahler fan but this is just not one of my favorite symphonies. I liked no. 1 with the Concertgebouw a lot more.

[​IMG]

Mahler: Symphony no. 4 in G. Leonard Bernstein, Concertgebouworkest Amsterdam, Helmut Wittek (soprano). Interestingly Jaap van Zweden is credited with the violin solo in mvmt 2.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

A shame about the no-noise used on that, but some great performances and a great cross section of Richter's artistry.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

There are one or two of us that don't mind Richter :D

Any Richter fans guess which album cover I cropped my avatar from?

Eigenvector and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  4. George P

Olympia CD - Rachmaninoff - Richter

hvbias likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just came her looking for something like this. Any other good options for Bach Cello Suites? Is there an SACD of any performances?

6. George P

There are a number of great options for the Cello Suites:

Pablo Casals on Opus Kura (It's on many labels, but Opus Kura has the best sound) - The first recording and still one of the best, 1939.
    Pierre Fournier on DG - One of the classic, enduring recordings of these works, 1961.
    Anner Bylsma on SONY - Lovely digital recording, wonderful playing, 1991.
    Pieter Wispelwey on Channel Classics - Student of Bylsma. Lovely, intimate, introspective reading, 1998.

Wes H likes this.
  7. agentalbert

Thanks. I should have made clear I'm looking for digital only (SACD or CD). It looks like the Pablo Casal is only on vinyl that I could find, but the Fournier seems easily available on CD.

8. George P

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have an LP with the first two sonatas--sounds good to me! Can't imagine what he didn't like.

10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I highly recommend the 1961 Fournier on DG. However I suggest you seek out the original CD release if possible and avoid any remastered versions. I have the original mastering and the sound is incredibly warm and natural. A couple of reviews I read before buying suggested the remaster did not sound as good.

11. agentalbert

Thanks, I didn't see that. A bit pricey, so I'll probably go with another option for now.

By original, do you mean the 1997 one here?
    https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Six-Sui...pID=51AUspjzOOL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And the 2007 is the one that doesn't sound as good?

Okay, I see there is a 1986 CD release. That's probably the one you mean.

12. George P

I haven't heard the original CD mastering, but I can say that the Originals mastering sounds full and natural. I have the 1999 reissue:

Johann Sebastian Bach, Pierre Fournier - 6 Suiten Für Violoncello Solo

crispi likes this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No, there is an older CD release that comes in a thick "fatboy" case, and is not one of the "Originals" remastered releases that you posted. It may be more expensive and hard to find. However, George says the Originals remaster sounds good too, and he may be right as I haven't heard it. I am generally not a fan of the DG Originals remastered CDs, I prefer the original 80s pressings for all of the titles I have heard.

14. agentalbert

Is this the correct one?
    Anner Bylsma - Bach The Cello Suites, Vol. 1 Nos. 1, 2 & 3

I think I found that one here:
    Johann Sebastian Bach, Pieter Wispelwey - 6 Suites Per Violoncello Solo Senza Basso

Okay, I think I've got a few different options to look over. Thanks for the help!

15. George P

No, those are earlier performances. This is the one I meant:

J. S. Bach* - Anner Bylsma - Suites For Violoncello Solo, BWV 1007-1012

Yes, that's it! If sound is a big factor for you, I'd get that one.

No problem! Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Re: The Bach cello suites on CD. From what I'm reading here, it looks like my versions are not among the recommended ones... Either that or I'm confused about the reissued/remasterings.

For the Fournier, I have this 2007 CD of the 1961 recording:

[​IMG]

Sounds fine to me, but I don't have the other CD versions to compare it with. Maybe I need to seek out another release?

As for the Wispelwey, I have his third recording from 2012.

[​IMG]

This Wispelwey CD is not cheap, but the recording is very different from various other Bach cello suite recordings I have on CD and LP.
    Wispelwey's performance is quite lively in phrasing and tempo. He also plays an instrument that is somehow deeper in tone than the standard cello... almost a string bass. The recording is very close-miked, sounding like he's in the room, whereas the Fournier recording has more reverb that provides a lovely air to the sound of his cello. Both have merit; I guess it all comes down to personal preference (and YMMV), but I really like having both as each presents a unique perspective on these wonderful suites.

George P likes this.
  17. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I suggest streaming them if you are able, none of the selections presented here are poor choices. My personal favorite is Janos Starker's Mercury recording and you get the benefit of truly reference level recording quality (even on my Quads which are a bit lacking in low bass it sounds like a cellist is in the room), the SACD is out of print (what I listen to) but even the regular CD sounds absolutely fantastic. Fournier's interpretation/playing is very romantic though I still enjoy it now and then

19. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Heinrich Schiff is one I would like to hear, someone with similar tastes as me said very good things about it

[​IMG]

21. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some more live Gilels.

Wes H likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 2 in E major, BWV 1053: 1. Allegro
    2. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 2 in E major, BWV 1053: 2. Siciliano
    3. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 2 in E major, BWV 1053: 3. Allegro
    4. Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068: Air on the G string
    5. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 1. Allegro
    6. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 2. Largo
    7. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 3. Presto
    8. Cantata No. 147, 'Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben,' BWV 147 (BC A174): Choral Jesus bleibet meine Freude
    9. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 1. Allamanda
    10. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 2. Corrente
    11. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 3. Sarabanda
    12. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 4. Giga
    13. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 5. Ciaconna
    14. Menuet, BWV Anh. 114 & 115

23. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some old school Chopin playing. Koczalski's teacher, Karol Mikuli, was a student of Chopin's.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

More Bach today after work!

vanhooserd and Wes H like this.