Abbey Road tour and lecture August 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by powissquare, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powissquare

powissquare Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not seen anything on here about this. I was lucky enough to go along to the Beatles in Mono thing in Studio 2 back in 2014. Anyhow whilst on the slightly expensive side - I've booked up for this in August - as I loved it last time and have to go again.

Might be of interest to some people here :)

Details below

Lectures - Abbey Road Studios

Experience the story of Abbey Road Studios. For 3 days only, we’re opening our doors for a series of exclusive talks in Studio Two on the illustrious life of the world’s most iconic recording studio. This is your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to step inside Abbey Road Studios with an exclusive lecture about the studios’ 86-year history, as Presented by Brian Kehew & Kevin Ryan, music producers and authors of Recording the Beatles*, who are also huge fans of Abbey Road.

These inspiring talks will explore the extraordinary history and the current life of the studios and will take place in iconic Studio Two, home to countless landmark recordings by The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Oasis, Radiohead, Adele, Ed Sheeran and more. Guests will also be given the chance to have a short tour of the famous Studio Two control room and spend time speaking to some of the Abbey Road team about their work.

Kehew and Ryan will explore the studios’ legacy of innovation from the patenting of stereo to the invention of numerous recording techniques used across the globe today. They’ll also cover the studios’ rich experience in film scoring and demonstrate how the studios have been used to record some of the biggest movies ever made – including Star Wars, The Lord of The Rings trilogy, the Harry Potter films, The Hobbit movies, Gravity, The King’s Speech, Black Panther and the multi award winning The Shape of Water.

What's included

• Your once-in-a-lifetimeopportunity to step inside the iconic Abbey Road Studiosfor an exclusive lecture about the studios’ 86-year history

• Hear the fascinating storyof how the world’s most famous recording studio became a legend

• Presented by Brian Kehew& Kevin Ryan, authors of Recording the Beatles- the definitive book charting the eight-year recording period that defined the studios

• Meet some of the Abbey Road team & take a guided tour of the famous Studio Two Control Room

• See our historic pianos& vintage recording equipmentplus an exhibition of rare & unseen photographs from the archives

• Exclusive photo opportunitieson the steps to the building & throughout Studio Two

Shaddam IV and FashionBoy like this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Andy Mitri likes this.
  3. Paging Doc Brown.....I need to borrow the Delorean.

4. powissquare

Apologies 2018. Anyone able to edit the thread title?

5. powissquare

Thanks for the title edit. I'm blaming my current eye infection for the typo :)

6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I've booked this :) Can't wait!!

7. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Thank you so much for bringing our attention to this, I am going to try to make the trip! :)

powissquare and Derek Slazenger like this.
  8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I did this back about 6 or so years ago. Same deal, same speakers. It was one of the highlights of my music life so far. If you've never been in AR before, DO IT!

9. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I'm really wanting to do this! Still trying to organize my summer.

10. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I've got tickets for this for myself and my son (27) and daughter (23) as a surprise for them - part of their birthday presents for this year. I only heard about it when I had a heating engineer come to quote for a new system and he saw my hi-fi and music collection and started asking questions and discussing music in general. He had acquired a ticket from a friend, and I immediately said wow that sounds interesting. As soon as he left I went online to hopefully get tickets, which I did!

11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I wish I could.

12. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I booked a ticket as soon as it appeared earlier this year. In the anticipation and build up to the White Album 50th, I could think of nothing better. Literally shaking with excitement, or maybe that's a coffee overload lol.

13. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

14. Derek Slazenger

Attended this yesterday and had an absolute blast! What a beautiful day to spend leisurely in London :)
    The following might be considered a SPOILER!!!.......
    Late on in the lecture they spoke about a software engineer, James Clarke, who's been working with Giles and Sam Okell. They played a clip of the mono 'She Loves You' and then played an isolation of George's guitar picked out of the finished mono mix. To me it sounded absolutely astonishing. The quality of the sound in the following snippet (recorded from the audience) of course doesn't reflect the playback quality (which was fantastic). Plus, it was crazy to hear George's subtle playing right in your face. Apologies if this is old news but I had no idea how advanced this tech is now! Someone has uploaded the whole thing and I've posted the minute or so regarding this isolation here: George Hope this is OK? If not I'll ask a gort to remove (although please bear in mind that 25% of this lecture is balls-out promo for Abbey Road's various services and that the whole run is sold out) :)

15. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Thx for posting....indeed a long way has come. I heard a post where Paul's and John's voice were separated in Love Me Do. Amazing.

Bern

longdist01 and Derek Slazenger like this.
  16. Well tried to book and couldn't for Sunday at 7 even though it doesn't say sold out. That sucks. I didn't see this thread until this late (we're going to be there starting Friday).

17. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Incredibly cool clip, thank you for posting it.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  18. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Derek! you're a blessed man...
    How about sharing the experience, and a few photos, etc.. over on my thread ? PLEASE! Would love to hear about this.. thanks.

longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  19. Derek Slazenger

OK man. I'll put a few pics up when I get in from work :)

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  20. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

This was a brilliant experience to be there on Sunday 5th with my son and daughter - who said it was one of the best days of her life. Getting some audience members to play a chord on several (historically used) pianos at the same time to recreate the end of A Day In The Life was mind blowing!

21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

They did that when I went a few years back too. Spine tingling wasn't it? Just listening to the natural reverb of Abbey Road on the held chords. One of those special moments.

22. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

I also attended yesterday and yes I agree, it was truely spectacular. However I did get the chance to ask Kevin Ryan a couple of questions afterwards. The first was whether She Loves You had been demixed for a specific project or just as an experiment to see what could be done, the answer being the former. Secondly I tried to get some information about the White Album 50th re-issue. Sadly and predictably, he was unable to discuss the subject. I have to agree the unique sound of the A Day In The Life chord was authentic beyond belief.

23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Yeah! A specific project is very hopeful. Like to see the early stuff remixed and reissued. I'm not getting any younger!

Bern

24. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

This new demixing process is very exciting, especially when you consider all future possible applications to historic mono recordings.

Unfortunately it would appear that the She Loves You example with George's guitar extracted is actually taken from Sie Lieb Dich, the German language version from 1964.

This version didn't use the backing track from the original 1963 recording and, whilst still fascinating, isn't quite as remarkable as extracting it from the single's mono take as previously thought.

nikh33 and Bern like this.
  25. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I want to get on a plane and get my tail to Abbey Road Studios..
    But it is completely not realistic or pragmatic at this time. Very sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.