Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I e-mailed Oppo last week about the possibility of any more 203s. Of course, Oppo responded within 10 mins. after my e-mail...."unlikely".

Btw, Oppo Digital is still listed as a show participant at the upcoming, in about 2 weeks, Hong Kong Audio Visual Show.

The Beave likes this.
  3. The Beave

Well, I'm on that list, so we'll wait until September 1 when I can spend again, if no 203, then I'll hunt down a 105 as an alternative. Don't need the barbed edition, should be able to score one for around $700. Quite a few on eBay sold list in that price range.
    But I have to wait until September, which is hell but my Wife was Cool enough to allow me to get t h e 205, can't beat that.
    As Bugs Bunny says....'WHAT A WOMAN!!'.
    And the 205's electronics are breaking in wonderfully!
    This deck sounds so amazing that I'm not even thinking about any mods any more......not going to mess with this bad boy!
    Beave

4. Onkyo gear has pretty much always been great, especially the Integra gear which when it was first introduced in the late 1960’s through the 1990’s signified the top line models. Today it is reserved for their custom installer market models, and they roughly correspond with the regular Onkyo line, with the exception of the Integra Research series which are still cream of the crop.

tmtomh and Brother_Rael like this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Love all my Onkyo/Integra stuff! Sounds good and never a problem. :D

tmtomh likes this.
  6. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Hello all,

I'd welcome recommendations on what integrated amplifiers would be a good match for the 205; specifically, it would have to have XLR capability (my current Marantz SR6007 lacks XLR). For price, obviously would not want to go too cheap relative to the 205, but also would not want to overkill in the other direction.

Thank you.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Better be good at that price.

8. Integrated amp, as opposed to a receiver? I’ve heard high praise for the Parasound Halo Integrated. It is being replaced by an “improved” (ie, more expensive) model but the originals are still available as demo units:

Parasound Halo 160 Watt Stereo Integrated Power Amplifier-Audio Advisor

RubenH and Bill Mac like this.
  9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Depends far more on your speakers than on your source.

10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

If this is accurate, there’s a lesson for all of us. Buy a friggen OPPO. :)

Bill Mac and chili555 like this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It's not necessarily accurate - it's just Beave's guess.

However, the gist of his point is in my view correct: If the Pioneer machine on par with the Oppo 203 is going to list for $1000, where the 203 retailed for $550, then one would expect the higher-end Pioneer unit to retail for notably more than the $1299 price of the Oppo 205. I would guess that the big manufacturers, like Pioneer, would not employ Oppo's pricing structure: $750 more for the 205 was a huge jump, both in terms of actual dollars and as a percentage. And I presume that's why so few of them ever tried to compete with the 105/205 - for their larger customer pool, they probably didn't see a critical mass of buyers willing to pay 2-1/2 times as much for a Blu-Ray player with no video-specific upgrades.

So I don't think the high-end Pioneer will retail for $2500. But I would say $1600-$2000 is likely (if they actually produce a higher end machine, that is).

12. The Beave

will somebody please post a pic of the back of the 205 OVER a pic of this!
    they still have no idea what OPPO has done....
    no clue whatsoever.....
    if this Pioneer backside was a hooker, i d walk away.........
    Beave

13. The Beave

Well the 203 is out so what I'm going to do come September is to go for a 105, it's got Sabers but it doesn't do 4k....big deal, it's so close to the 205 it's not even funny. It up scales br so I'm fine with that.
    Get one for$500 below list........I'll be all over that.
    Beave

14. The Beave

Your very kind , and yes it's my guess. But just look at Sony's answer to OPPO',S 205......their 1000,es....
    Speaks volumes! And please guys, if you own a 1000 I really don't mean to demean it, or you, hell, I've got one in my cart refurbished for $279, but can't pull the trigger cause of the promise.
    So I'll just state it here,,,NONE OF THE BIG BOYS HAVE FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO OPPO DECKS AT THE PRICE POINT OPPO WAS SELLING THEM AT!!!!!!!!!!!
    so yeah, I can see them listing it at $2499 easily because they're STUPID.
    Rant over!
    Long live OPPO!
    BEAVE

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Cambridge Azur 851A. Balanced connectors and similar price to the UDP 205 here in UK. Should have enough power for most speakers (but maybe avoid something too bright).

16. The Beave

Good recommendation CR!
    Nice piece of kit.
    Beave

17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Over the years, I've found I no longer listen to FM radio at home (the Marantz has no AM, which has never been an issue), so if removing the 'receiver' circuitry from the equation allows the $ to be better deployed to powering the speakers, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks

18. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thank you... it appears the 851A (as well as the pricier 851W) do not support multi-channel, just stereo though.

19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Since this thread won't die, I am going to take the opportunity to say how pleased I am with my OPPO UDP-203. It is my first OPPO purchase, and it is a stellar piece of equipment. Even the remote is laid out in a extremely user-friendly and logical fashion. I'm going to install a region free hack before the end of the year.

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Except for the SW (SVS SB12-NSD) the other five are Polks RTi9 towers and similar-level Polks.

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

@RubenH are you asking for recommendations of at least 5-channel "integrated amplifier"? As far as I know, integrated amplifiers of more than 2-channel stereo are unusual.

Check out this thread for last year, for example:

Integrated amp with surround sound?

22. I've read that Oppo had about 8% of all global smartphone shipments in 2017.

23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Lonson likes this.
  24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

To clarify, this Cambridge player is only a transport. You have to provide the digital-to-analog converter yourself, outside of this player. From the description at the above link:

While the Cambridge may have some Oppo components in it (which ones?), it doesn't have the high-resolution DAC chips that arguably contribute to the widely-praised "wowing sound" of true Oppos, like the 203 and 205.

Craig.

tmtomh and chili555 like this.
  25. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Only the 205 has the top DAC chip. The 203 is a bit meh.

The Cambridge BRD transport (with the DAC chip in the CXA series) should sound better than the 203.