Abbey Road tour and lecture August 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by powissquare, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

That's pretty amazing sound from the track of George's guitar playing!

My old classmate went into Abbey Road Studios in 1983 first time they offered the public access!

I wish I had the time to have flown to one of these lectures this Summer.

Thank you to all of you sharing stories, photos and audio clips of inside.

2. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

So is the guitar from the original “She Loves You”, or is it from the German version?

3. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

As I posted a short time back I understand that it's from the German version, possibly in the mistaken belief that the backing track, like Komm Gibb Me Deine Hand, is from the original version.

I've messaged Giles Martin and Brian Behew to ask their opinion. If they get back to me I'll post it here.

goodiesguy, Bern, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  4. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

After the lecture had finished we all mentioned how 'pin drop' quiet the audience was in in effort to listen to all we were told and the clips we were played! Obviously there was reaction at certain points but certainly it was the most attentive audience we had ever been in.

5. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

That guitar sample is in fact not even an extraction at all, but simply the guitar track from the 4 track of Sie Leibt Dich.
    The microphone leakage of the bass and drums is a dead giveaway.
    It's kind of sad that Abbey Road has to mislead people like that.

mindgames likes this.
  6. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.

7. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Curious if you have an inside source on this or have checked it (the iso'ed guitar) again both recordings. Just curious - maybe I'll take a run at the latter on Monday.

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yeah, sounds a bit too good to be the actual She Loves You recording. More likely the German version.

9. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

When I first heard it, it sounded too clear but I was very impressed at what the demix technology could achieve if true. But when I played Sie Lieb Dich it confirmed my suspicions as the guitar appeared to be identical. I've since heard others attempts at mixing the 'demix' back into the original Sie Lieb Dich and they fit a little too well.

I think it's a shame that the demonstration to show how good this new technology is happens to be false.

somnar and Bern like this.
  10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Isn’t it very possible that on the German version George’s guitar was not recorded on its own track and still had to be removed from sharing the track with another instrument.

11. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

The guys who gave the lecture and wrote the book appeared very knowledgeable to me so I had/have no reason to doubt them. I am not familiar with this other version (and not an expert in anything Beatles) so maybe it was from this other version and he announced it in English (?) and another conspiracy is over!! I have no reason to doubt the technology to do this based on what we were told. Anyway, the whole visit was superb and I now have my dated Abbey Road VIP lanyard hanging in my listening room. :D

pmc7070 and andybeau like this.
  12. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Sure it is...but you have to then compare to what you lifted it from. Comparing it to the mono She Loves You is not doing that.

Bern

13. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Interesting. Should be pretty easy to confirm this by using the iso'ed guitar part along with Sie Lieb Dich to cancel the guitar part in the latter out. Hopefully someone will try and post.

14. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

It makes perfect sense that if Can't Buy Me Love was recorded on 4 track at Pathe Marconi, the two German songs probably were as well.
    I'd guess the 4 track of Sie Liebt Dich is something like this:

1 - drums, bass
    2 - rhythm guitar
    3 - lead guitar (what was presented as from SLY)
    4 - German vocals overdub

And Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand is probably like this (just guessing):

1 - backing track reduction from IWTHYH
    2 - guitar overdub
    3 - German vocals overdub
    4 - handclaps overdub

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  15. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Time to remix the old stereo records. (Having the drums panned to one side doesn't work for me) I could see Cream's first record getting this treatment.

Abbey Road Studios (formerly known as EMI) is one studio I hope to visit one day.

16. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Well-Known Member

Went to this on Sunday, a really great experience and interesting talk.

Had the bonus of having Ken Townsend (ex Abbey Road manager and who had worked on a number of Beatles records) in the house who came on stage at the end with some additional anecdotes.

I also spoke to Kevin Ryan & Brian Kehew about the (un)availability of their book, apparently they are working on an updated version which should be out "soon, whenever soon is".

Derek Slazenger and Yosi like this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sean Murdock and jlf like this.
  18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

19. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I've been really looking forward to doing this and will be in the UK all summer.... and leaving right before the scheduled tour dates. I wish they had scheduled the tours earlier (or my teacher's schedule allowed more flexibility). Oh well. Maybe next year.

20. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I did this back in 2012 and it was an amazing experience. They let us recreate the last chord from A Day in the Life on the pianos they actually used. I participated in that and it's one of those moments that will always be seared into my brain.

21. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but in advance of the Brian Kehew and Kevin Ryan ("Recording the Beatles") lecture series at Abbey Road again this summer, the studios have just posted a new online Q&A with the pair answering reader questions.

Here's the link: Brian Kehew & Kevin Ryan answer your Lectures questions

And here is a sample of the Q&A:

IronWaffle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.