Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Folks, just to be clear, i don’t have a problem “stepping outside of the '72 - '78 bubble”. Never have. My comments are specific to this release, and what i’ve heard so far of it, up through Help on the Way.

Maybe the second half is much better - i’ll have to listen - but the first half really put me off, and i was shocked at this as a pick. This is not the best of the ‘80’s.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Fair enough. Personally I'd steer away from stating things like "one of the worst releases ever" until I had heard the whole thing, but do as thou wilt.

3. DesertIslander

DesertIslander Recidivist

No true Deadhead has ever, ever stooped to hyperbole!

rcb30, mmthmj, jazz_case and 7 others like this.
  4. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I have listened to this another time. Some parts are enjoyable and I am glad to have listened to a show outside my usual zone. However, I won’t be playing it again as I only have a limited amount of time in this world to listen to the Grateful Dead and the releases from 70’s and late 60’s are much better IMO. On the whole, I can’t complain about the Dave’s Picks series as it has been consistently excellent. It is impossible for them to please everyone with every release.

5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I agree with this sentiment. I don’t hate it, but I greatly prefer the two previous Dave releases and I don’t see myself reaching for this one that often. Glad others are enjoying, though.

footlooseman and Ellsworth like this.
  6. notesofachord

Those of you that dislike it should just sell it. It is out-of-print and there are folks out there that will get loads of pleasure from it. What - but you'll have an OCD nightmare by having a missing pick along the shelf? Puh-leeze. Don't keep something that you don't like just for completeness.

mmthmj, libertycaps and footlooseman like this.
  7. notesofachord

Greater truth hath not been spoken.

mmthmj, footlooseman and Ellsworth like this.
  8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

My issue isn’t OCD, I only own 2 previous years of Dave’s, but the thought that my tastes will change and then I’d be out a show. Real first world dilemma.

9. notesofachord

To be fair, it's not something that I'll reach for often either. Maybe once every 18 months or so perhaps. However, IMO, it's a hot show, and I'll dig the hell out of it when I do.

mmthmj and bzfgt like this.
  10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I dislike most of it. Love Black Peter, some of the playing and the encore. But I'm not getting rid of it. Besides being a completist, I might like to give it another spin someday. So puh-leeze don't tell us what to do with our Dead shows, and I won't tell you not to pyschoanalyze people.

mmthmj, I333I, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  11. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Boy, that was a pretty quick turnaround from "do what thou wilt"!

bzfgt likes this.
  12. notesofachord

Interesting. I thought "Black Peter" was okay, but not as good as renditions from earlier years. We all hear different things I guess. Which is great! Wouldn't it be boring if we all were clones that had exactly the same taste in everything...

mmthmj and Jerry like this.
  13. trd

trd Forum Resident

That post Eyes jam is a treat

mmthmj, adamos, zephyr25 and 3 others like this.
  14. notesofachord

Hell yes.

The Bobby & Jerry "space" is very cool too.

LucaB, mmthmj, nitsuj and 3 others like this.
  15. Jerry

Not bad, but not half as good as my all-time favorite Black Peter. I used to amuse friends by holding a lit match in front of my woofer and have Phil literally blow it out.

Activity Center. Arizona State U on 10/6/77

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    mmthmj, budwhite, adamos and 6 others like this.
  16. notesofachord

Aw, Tempe. Nice. My older brother went to eight years of grad school at ASU. I visited quite a few times.

17. Jerry

Yeah, I first heard part of the Tempe show on a King Biscuit broadcast in early '78 I believe it was. Killer Black Peter!

Spadeygrove and notesofachord like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I gave away Dave's 22 to a friend here & traded Dave’s 26 for some CD-R’s of 2 expensive RT’s & a CD-R of the most expensive Dave’s Pick that I don’t have. I’m pretty sure I’ll do the same with this one. Fwiw I like Dave's 20 despite the patches and the messed up Jack Straw as the sound is very good (due to the reel to reel master tape I’m sure) and therefore when I crank it up I hear great sounding drums & bass and the vocals are not too loud.

That isn’t possible with Dave’s 27. Yes variety is important and I have much too much great non-Dead music to listen to waste my time on a sub-standard poorly recorded and presented show.

I’ll repeat once more the only reason for no matrix was?????

20. notesofachord

A man who knows what he wants/likes. I dig it.

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

22. DesertIslander

DesertIslander Recidivist

I really disliked Dick’s Picks 6 at first and filed it away. Came back years later in a more generous mood and loved it. The music didn’t change; I did. This band speaks to us when we want to listen. It doesn’t mean there aren’t clunkers, though...

23. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Life is all about moods.

rcb30 and US Blues like this.
  24. Awesome TLEO on Dick’s 6.

DesertIslander likes this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I felt the same way about Dick's Picks 6. I didn't care for it all for years but I really enjoy the second set now. The first set is a clunker though.

DesertIslander likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.