Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

It's obvious in his voice too. But he looks good, he's obviously taken care of himself.

2. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I kind of have a feeling this will be a torch passing thing, and that he will retire after a season or two. It will involve him passing a torch to the next generation. Not that his age should prevent him from continuing, and I'd rather he didn't retire myself. Has anyone actually said he will still be captain though? For all we know he is an admiral or ambassador by this point in his career.

3. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

He's born in 2305, and if we dated from Nemesis (2379) in real time years, that would put the new series in the 2390s, making Picard somewhere in his early to mid 90s. But humans are said to have a longer lifespan in Trek, we see Bones make a cameo in TNG and he's like 140 years old.

So given that Stewart is younger than that and looks pretty good for his current age, I find it believable that Picard would still be kicking and in pretty good shape in his 90s, considering the future medical technology and longer human lifespans in the 24th century. I imagine that 90 is the new 50 in the 24th century.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He has... but I still wonder about the wisdom of embarking on a series with a lead actor who is already 78 before they even have one script. Maybe a “Logan” kind of movie about Picard would be a better idea...?

(Admittedly I say that as a mostly former Star Trek fan who would be keen on reuniting for two hours with Jean Luc but not for the length of a series)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Simon A likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'd like to see one or two seasons, max. Catch up with the character and end their story. Do another short series with someone else; I've love to see Avery Brooks back as Sisko.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  6. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

That's why I think this is going to be a torch passing show.

I love Picard and in general the TNG, DS9, Voyager era of Trek, but I'm also feeling pretty lukewarm about this.

7. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I know Voyager is the show everyone hates on, but I always felt shortchanged by the finale and would like to see a follow-up, to really see what Janeway and the other characters are up to. Some sort of scenario where they're forced to reunite and face a crisis, maybe. But this would also be best as a one or two season thing at the most.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

There are plenty of novels out there to read. I think Janeway is an Admiral now and Voyager has made further excursions.

9. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

The novels are fine but they've never really been considered "canon". Although Nemesis officially established she became an admiral after returning to the Alpha Quadrant. So hopefully Kate Mulgrew might make a cameo appearance in some form.

What I always wanted to know is, what became of the Maquis crew? Was there a court martial? Were they pardoned? Were the officers like Chakotay and Torres reinstated into Starfleet (Torres never even graduated from Starfleet Academy so it always bugged me a little how she got that promotion straight to Lieutenant and chief engineer; would she have to return to the academy?)? What about Seven? Surely she'd have to deal with a lengthy debriefing and possible interrogation due to her status as a former borg drone--possibly Section 31 would have taken an interest in her.

None of these questions were ever really answered on screen, and the finale felt very rushed. I always thought Voyager deserved a real follow-up more than TNG and DS9, both of which wrapped up most loose ends.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Sure, but in the absence of any on-screen material to replace the events of the novels, what difference does it make?

11. I don't Voyager, for example, but there was clear exhaustion on the part of the writer-producers--ST had become so rigid due to what was established before and "canon" that it restricted what could be done to a degree with Star Fleet. The Alpha Quadrant was supposed to open up that option but Star Fleet guidelines. although sometimes skirted, drove the crew. I think it would have been a much more interesting series of the "wilder" elements of being in a frontier had been focused on (the Marque offered quite a bit of hope that wore off quickly). More conflict in drama is better. "Enterprise" on the other hand was hated on far more although by season three the series had found its footing.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He’s a good captain. This should be the one the Tarantino directs.

Gregory Earl likes this.
  13. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I'm not sure Tarantino is a great fit for Trek. But I'm trying to remain open-minded and hold judgment until it actually happens.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm absolutely sure that Tarantino isn't a good fit for Star Trek!

smilin ed and Lyedecker like this.
  15. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I might be in favor of it, except he's very one-note and his track record suggests he'd just "Tarantino-fy" Trek to make it more "hip" for audiences easily amused by heavy dropping of F Bombs and maximum levels of gore. Don't get me wrong, I really like Tarantino as a director, I just think it's a terrible fit for trek. I like ice cream and cheeseburgers but I wouldn't want cheeseburger flavored ice cream.

16. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Any news on the new series that will include Picard?

17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It was recently reported that the series will deal, in part, with how Picard handles the destruction of Romulus. The series will take place approximately 20 years after the planet’s demise, I believe. The destruction of Romulus is loosely tied to the reboot films, as the destruction of Romulus is depicted in the first film. But it is still technically an event that takes place in the prime timeline, as the Kelvin timeline is created as a result of the destruction of Romulus.

MikaelaArsenault and budwhite like this.
  18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. I thought that once the Kelvin timeline had been created, everything (including the destruction of Romulus) would be changed from the way it happened in the prime timeline. The destruction of Vulcan is just one example of such a change.

Encuentro likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The Kelvin timeline is but one of many timelines. It’s a multiverse. The prime timeline still exists.

BeatleJWOL and 5th-beatle like this.
  20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

AHAHAHAHAHA, Alex Kurtzman is overseeing this, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :cry:

MikaelaArsenault and Deesky like this.
  21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I think the series should be him living in a urban hovel/blade runner type environment where he spends his time cadging credits from strangers and passers-by so he can get into a rent by the hour holodeck and return to his Dixon Hill fantasy life. Where to Jean Luc the holodeck is an addiction and escape that eventually subsumes his own past reality.

Show runners please pm me for my paypal addy.

profholt82 likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

His hairline hasn't moved an inch!

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I take it that he isn't very popular among the fans? I don't know who he is

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Darmok! How are things at the ol' Tanagra...?"

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

He isn't popular among a very small contingent of Star Trek fans who didn't like the reboot films.