America (band)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Everyone I talk to in person seems to know and love the band, but only know the hits.. I think their best songs were the non-hits. I have about 80+ songs on my main playlist, meaning I liked about 95% of their stuff. My favorite vocal/harmony group. I always preferred Dewey's voice.. It was also the last concert I went to (2 yrs ago around this time).

Some of my favorite songs
    -Saturn Nights
    -Tall Treasures
    -Hat Trick
    -One Morning
    -And Forever
    -Political Poachers
    -Are You There?

They even did a disco-song (as well as some funk, hard rock, etc)
    All Around

2. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I made an America The Band one disc comp which included the top favorite jams like Inspector Mills, You Can Do Magic, All My Life, Special Girl, I Need You, and Right Before Your Eyes, which for some inexplicable and odd reason, was omitted from the box set. Major fail right there.

3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Good band
    Don’t get enough cred.

4. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Riverside, Rainy Day, Baby It's Up To You, Wind Wave, Never Found The Time, Bell Tree, Company, Til The Sun Comes Up Again, In The Country, Hat Trick, To Each His Own, Can't You See, It's Life......Love 'em

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    carlwm, joelee, Fender Relic and 5 others like this.
  5. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I notice this with Supertramp... It seems if a band doesn't have sex with underaged groupies, they don't get attention. Or the drug overdoses, going to court, hotel smashing, and all the other sensationalist stuff. Even when I read about great bands (old newspaper online archive), it was about the trivial and gossip - never about the music.

Other bands also don't get much attention when they aren't getting loud on the microphone, or if they don't get wild and crazy on stage. It irks me because all I care about is the music, I'll read the other stuff afterwards.

hypockets, hi_watt, carlwm and 5 others like this.
  6. I think that most folks probably think they aren't "rock" enough rather than the above observations.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Yup - love 'em. I play their first five albums regularly, after all these years!

8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yea
    Supertramp in the same boat.
    Both had long careers, lotsa material and hits

DavidD and MortSahlFan like this.
  9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

America was one of my first concerts Feb.4,1973 Rec Hall PSU with J.D.Souther also on the ticket. They were big in my circle of friends. America-style acoustic guitar based harmony vocal groups sprung up all over the place from 72-75. In June of 73, end of sophomore HS year,when school let out, I remember my listening regimen was All Things Must Pass/America/Neil Young Cinnamon Girl/Sugar Mt.. for the rest of June. The only negative... a few people thought of them as a watered down CSNY.

10. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I always loved their hits as a casual listener. Was turned on to deeper cuts when I heard a lot of them on Left Coast 70s on SOMA FM (Streaming station).

Saturn Nights and Head and Heart stick out as my favorites.

Also - when Coldplay first came out they sorta kinda a tiny little bit reminded me of America. Not so much in song quality (and I know many people don't care for Coldplay) but more in that I thought Chris Martin's voice had a sort of folk, melancholy sound that I'd heard on many America songs. I could totally see them covering "I Need You."

VQR, AKA-Chuck G and MortSahlFan like this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My personal favorite non-hit by AMERICA is "'Til The Sun Comes Up Again".

Any other AMERICA fans feel like I do that Gerry basically turned that song "inside out", when writing his solo "Now Sue"?

yesstiles likes this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Sister Golden Hair...my favourite pop single. It’s perfection!

13. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Forum Resident

I’ve always liked Another Try & Right Before Your Eyes.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when I first heard Horse With No Name on the radio I thought they were CSN&Y...LOL. Neil Young singing lead.
    Love the band...years ago I bought a few albums on CD that were not available here in the states...quite expensive back then!

Porkpie, Fender Relic and JDeanB like this.
  15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Like their music, but always thought their lyrics were gibberish

Siegmund and seed_drill like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great song...I always felt a loss when Dan Peek left...he wrote some great songs.

17. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Me too.
    I think Homecoming and Hat Trick are their best albums, followed closely by S/T and Holiday.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Here's a terrific rocker that isn't very well known. Only appeared on the Encore collection in 1993, but it could have fit on any of the Warners albums:

abescan likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Always liked them.

20. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I'm one of those greatest hits people. I have several different greatest hits or best-of compilations and definitely listen to the compilations several times a year and a few favorite songs more often. I consider Ventura Highway to be one of my all-time favorite songs, right there at the very top. That song is magical. Other favorites are A Horse With No Name, Daisy Jane, Amber Cascades,

DavidD and Calling All Stations like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I will say this:
    1. They’re cool just for the Phil Hartman connection (he designed the cover of their Greatest Hits album).
    2. America is a genius name because you practically have no choice but to speak well of them.

vconsumer and zbir like this.
  22. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

My parents had the Greatest Hits CD. They used to play it a lot around the house while I played my video games. Now I got those video games, America and more of their softrock contemporaries like Bread and Malo all mixed in in one bag of memories. I still have the Greatest Hits CD my parents had, and I even got an LP of the compilation. America has to be one of the best bands of the 1970's.

Keith todaro and VQR like this.
  23. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I am with you 100% , also love Dewey's songs best and Saturn nights was my favourite song for a very long time when I was a kid ,a song you didn't list and one of my favourites is Amber cascades , saw the band 3 times , first in 1975 with Poco , and then again over 30 years later in 2007 and 2009

24. davers

davers Forum Resident

Seeing them live for the first time in 2013 really drove home what a great catalog of songs these guys have.

As a bonus, I believe the guitar player and drummer were long time band members - they looked familiar from a live show I've seen from Central Park in '79 or so. Maybe some folks here know how long the key supporting players have been with them?

Glenn coates and MortSahlFan like this.
  25. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Maybe their 1st album and a couple of their hits, otherwise mush. Didn't they cover a Captain & Tennille song or vice versa?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.