Different Vocal From the Original Record That Is Better (Vocally)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is BETTER (vocally).. Examples...

Young Lust (which I think is much better than the studio version, especially with the added rap)

The live version of "Run Like Hell".. Instead of Roger singing each part alternating between the R and L stereo, I liked it much better in concert when Roger and David would sing a couplet each... It sounds more fitting to the darkness of the song, sounds more confrontational... "Grandchester Meadows", too. I think the latter song was because of the "Ummagumma" spirit of half of it being live, and then half of it being only one member.

Run Like Hell
    Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell (Live)

Grantchester Meadows
    Pink Floyd - Grantchester Meadows Live KQED 1970 |Full HD|

2trackmind and Denim Chicken like this.
  2. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Probably controversial, but I prefer Kate Bush's re-recording of Wuthering Heights. It's a little less excentric (vocally) than the original, and the 80s production might scare some people, but it's beautifully sung and the brilliant guitar solo at the end is much more audible:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    eatthecheese and Purple Jim like this.
  3. MortSahlFan

Thanks for this version, never heard it before, I like it... Her voice isn't as high of course, that's aging I guess. I remember when I first heard the song, it was stuck in my head for 2 days - couldn't even sleep without re-living the chorus. Was that David Gilmour playing the solo?

4. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

I've always preferred the alternative mix of 'All Tomorrow's Parties' which features on the West German CD of the Velvet Underground & Nico. Instead of Nico's double track vocals which appear on the original (and most other releases), it just has a single track version of Nico's vocals.

swedwards1960 likes this.
  5. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

It's actually in the exact same vocal range as the original version, only this time Kate adds even higher notes at the end of the song (the sung/screamy note during the solo). Her voice sounds deeper and more mature though, which might lead people to believe that she's singing lower. I'm not sure who played that solo, but I don't believe it was Gilmour. He did sort of discover Kate and saw her musical artistic potential, if I recall correctly...

6. MortSahlFan

Yes exactly - same register, just biological. She said in an interview that there are disadvantages, not being able to sing some things she used to do, but adding that a deeper voice could enable her to do more.. Take the song, "Babooshka" - still has "it"

DBMartin likes this.
  7. John54

John54 Senior Member

There were a couple of vocals for Where Were You When I Needed You by the Grass Roots.

Hammerpeg and Jimmy B. like this.
  8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This has always been cause of a great deal of confusion.

The hit single I believe features vocals by Bill Fulton of a San Francisco band (The Bedouins? I'm not remembering for sure). There is rumored to be a demo version with P.F. Sloan singing lead, but I'm not sure that has ever been released. (There's a version on a 90s-vintage album credited to Sloan, but I think it's the single version with Fulton.)

Of course, when the "real" Grass Roots were formed, the song was re-recorded with Rob Grill singing the lead. This version is rather dreadful IMHO, yet it's the one most Oldies stations play today.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The Gene Clark LP Early L.A. Sessions features new vocals by Gene laid over the remixed original instrumental tracks of the Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers album.

I don't think the Early L.A. album has ever been reissued on CD. It's not necessarily better than the original, but I'm glad it exists as sort of an alternate universe take on these great songs.

[​IMG]

10. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

It's an excellent version, and I probably would have picked it as my favourite when it came out, but she sings sharp on the "Ca" of "Cathy" at 2:31, and that completely spoils it for me, I wince every time I hear it. Otherwise, brilliant though

DBMartin likes this.
  11. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

She's not singing sharp. She’s deliberately changed the melody slightly. That’s all.

I can understand why you don’t like it if you’re used to the original.

DBMartin likes this.
  12. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I prefer Kirsty MacColl's vocal on the "Truck Stop" version of her song "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". It's more plaintive and has less of the twang she affected for the "Chip Shop" ballad version. I also love the lyric change from "Hicksville, Tennessee" to "Hicksville, Shepherd's Bush".

13. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

The original ballad vocal:

14. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

It's an interesting note she hits there, on the original version it was a G#3, while on this version it sounds more like a fryish G#2 (probably the lowest studio note she's ever hit).

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The single-track one is what I heard first, and I still refuse to believe that the ‘a-and what costume’ bit on the double-tracked version isn’t a mastering error. It’s not in the single-track version so it was definitely added after the fact…

Motown Junk likes this.
  16. themarkster

themarkster Forum Resident

It was released on CD 4 years ago as bonus tracks on a mini LP version of the With the Gosdin Brothers album. I hear it sounds very good.

For some reason, Brett Anderson of Suede re-recorded the vocals of Trash for the Singles comp in 2003. I think it just sounds weird...

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for this info. I wasn't aware of this; will check it out.

themarkster likes this.
  18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. isolation can harm you terribly

I like the one with P.F. Sloan singing lead vocals; I guess that would be the original, actually.

geo50000 likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always distinguished them by the way the second word "I" is pronounced in the line, "the love I once felt, I don't feel any more for you". The original is more "ah", the re-do more like the vowel in the word "at". I prefer the original, however picky that may be ...

20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

What's the background on this re-recording? What caused her to redo it and what time frame does it come from- early 80s or later? EDIT: never mind. It appears to be for her greatest hits set from the mid 80s.

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Just so. When she released her best-of in 1986, she re-recorded the vocals on "Wuthering Heights" just because she felt she could do a better job on them. I think she did.

DBMartin likes this.
  22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I do too and like so many I loved the original.

23. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Just posted in another thread about this actually: XTC's "Respectable Street" has different lyrics on the single version and so a re-recorded vocal track. While I prefer the original uncensored lyrics, I think Andy Partridge does a really great job on the alternate single version in the third verse where he changes up the melody a bit. One of things that really caught my attention when I first heard it, only being familiar with the LP version.

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

There are plenty of examples from the world of Christmas music.

Bing Crosby's 1947 version of "White Christmas," which is the one most frequently heard today, is better than the 1942 original release.

Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" had three released versions during Cole's lifetime. I prefer the 1953 version conducted by Nelson Riddle, which was the second released version, over the 1946 King Cole Trio version and the 1961 re-recording conducted by Ralph Carmichael. Nat's vocals are smoother than on the '46 version, not to mention he no longer sings "to see if reindeers really know how to fly," and his voice still has a youthful feel missing from the '61 rendition, where you can hear the effects of his life-long cigarette habit.

Perry Como did "There Is No Christmas Like a Home Christmas" in 1950 and 1968, and I prefer the 1968 version. It's a better arrangement that feels more fully realized.

In non-Christmas music, I prefer the re-recorded vocal on the single version of "I Am a Rock" by Simon & Garfunkel.

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

IIRC, the album and single versions of "Fakin' It" also differ. Seems to me there are some extra measures in one not present in the other. Do you know if these are entirely separate recordings with differing vocals, or is one just a remix of the other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.