Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. thehappymundays

thehappymundays Well-Known Member

Is it this "The last 95 seconds of “Detroit Medley” are missing on the multi-track masters. A fan recording was used to complete the song."

2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I stand corrected

3. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

One of those detested tapers who get their gear confiscated at Bruce's shows.

grapenut likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

No, at around 6:04. Sounds a bit weird when they go into "shake". Could be an edit, or not.

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone any theories as to why there were no River radio broadcasts. I think it was 5 (off the top of my head) for 78. My own guess is that the organisation felt they no longer really needed to do them and maybe the number of bootlegs was starting to be seen as an issue/problem.

hobbes4444 likes this.
  6. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

This new bootleg is fantastic. I never realised how different both sets were in 1981. First one really grittty and dark, while the second one was just one big rock and roll explosion. Impressive playing by the band.

It's a pity these show are being released online with such a low profile. If they had been released 30 years ago, Passaic, Roxy or Wembley would be considered some of the best live albums ever.

Listening to this show makes me think on whatever happened to Bruce after this tour. They were still great and he still wrote many a memorable song, but it was never the same again. Up to 2014 he was still saying that "we've never been better than today" catchphrase, but this releases are putting things straight. I really wish I could have been at one of these shows. But I was only 9 years old at the time.

J

7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Any DR figures for the Wembley set yet?

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I had always assumed the same. Not sure if that was a logical deduction or something I read somewhere.

9. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Surprised at the generally positive response to the sound quality, which I find average at best and only slightly better than the Nassau 1980 release. The guitars are missing for the whole of the first set; some have already commented on Born to Run, but during The River, Roy's piano is louder than the acoustic. I'm not taking anything away from the performance, which is great, or the surprising nature of the release, but when you think you're paying roughly £25 (if you go for the CD/MP3 option, yes I know nobody is forcing you to do this) I do question the value for money sometimes. Very rarely would you pay £25 for a major double CD release, and if you did the sound quality would be properly mixed. I would happily take a slower release rate in favour of more care taken with the mixing. I'll listen to this release for this month, but ultimately go back to Tempe. So far, the only show that I've been happy with sound quality wise before 1988 is the 1978 Passaic release, and that was done by Clearmountain.

Doggiedogma, Jimmy B. and budwhite like this.
  10. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

9 overall

bobcat likes this.
  11. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I believe it is an edit. They usually went back into the intro/coda of Devil with the Blue Dress before starting Shake the way they do after Shake. I'll check the recording from the boot LP when I get home. Perhaps a tape glitch toward the end of a reel which could explain why the last bit is missing...

budwhite likes this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Sounds about right. Somewhere between Roxy and Passaic I would think

13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What was the number for Passaic?

14. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Agreed. Even as late as 1981, there was still something of an underground aura surrounding Bruce Springsteen. Nebraska deepened the aura further. But the minute I saw the first song on the BITUSA tour in 84, it was clear that something had fundamentally changed.
    It was a whole new ballgame, and while it was still very good, it was never quite the same. Very glad I was able to see those 80/81 shows. Unforgettable.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  15. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

DR10:

foobar2000 1.3.14 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-12-22 13:46:35
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band / 1978/09/20 Passaic, NJ
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.05 dB -10.65 dB 3:57 01-Good Rockin' Tonight
    DR9 -0.01 dB -10.05 dB 4:34 02-Badlands
    DR10 -0.08 dB -13.40 dB 10:16 03-Spirit In The Night
    DR10 0.00 dB -12.58 dB 5:00 04-Darkness on the Edge of Town
    DR13 -0.09 dB -15.90 dB 7:45 05-Independence Day
    DR10 -0.05 dB -11.47 dB 7:13 06-The Promised Land
    DR10 -0.05 dB -11.92 dB 12:18 07-Prove It All Night
    DR10 -0.10 dB -12.72 dB 5:34 08-It's My Life
    DR10 -0.08 dB -11.56 dB 6:00 09-Thunder Road
    DR10 -0.03 dB -12.79 dB 10:28 10-Jungleland
    DR10 -0.04 dB -13.37 dB 5:40 01-Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    DR12 -0.12 dB -15.49 dB 3:01 02-Fire
    DR10 -0.02 dB -11.80 dB 3:16 03-Candy's Room
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.83 dB 7:06 04-Because the Night
    DR13 -0.12 dB -16.46 dB 9:20 05-Point Blank
    DR9 -0.04 dB -11.51 dB 13:39 06-Kitty's Back
    DR10 -0.06 dB -12.37 dB 11:14 07-Incident on 57th Street
    DR10 -0.04 dB -11.49 dB 12:46 08-Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.45 dB 7:27 01-Born to Run
    DR10 -0.08 dB -12.01 dB 5:30 02-Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
    DR9 0.00 dB -11.28 dB 11:22 03-Detroit Medley
    DR10 -0.04 dB -12.30 dB 10:10 04-Twist and Shout
    Number of tracks: 22
    Official DR value: DR10
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 999 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

bobcat likes this.
  16. uncle

uncle Senior Member

What about Tempe DR values, sorry if this was posted already. Just curious.

17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The DR values for Tempe are
    Min: 9
    Max: 13
    Overall: 11

Note: this is from a combination of the ripped audio from the Blu-ray + the extra 10 audio songs from the Nugs.net.

Someone should compile these values for all of the Archive releases.

uncle likes this.
  18. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Thanks!!

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Key point. But the normal version is pretty fairly priced, I think. There's absolutely no reason to spend more than $12.95 on any of these releases.

Guy Smiley and budwhite like this.
  20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

One of the key changes between the River and BITUSA onward tours and subsequent albums was Steven Van Zandt leaving the E Street Band. Much as I love Nils' playing, and I honestly think he's a vastly more versatile guitarist than Steve, Van Zandt was a crucial piece of the E Street Band not just as a guitarist, but as an arranger and de-facto bandleader. Honestly, Steve was as much a integral, driving force of the band as Bruce. His departure really changed the character of the band especially live through the 80's and 90's.

21. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

That is a great theory. Possibly, after ToL, Bruce stopped listening to SVZ, who is obviously more committed to a rawer sound than Springsteen is. A pity if you ask me.

J

Dr. Zoom, Guy Smiley and hodgo like this.
  22. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

True. Unfortunately I do like physical products; mp3s are just too ephemeral for me! I still think the comment about quality should stand though as, no matter how much you're paying, good sound quality should be a given. They get it right sometimes with the Archives; Passaic, Stockholm, most of the post 2000 releases, but the inconsistency is frustrating.

23. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I understand the appeal of a physical disc, I do appreciate the ability to play a whole 3+ hour show uninterrupted from start to finish!

budwhite likes this.
  24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

SVZ left the E Street Band in 1984, after BITUSA was recorded. He had no involvement with TOL that I'm aware of.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Steve was heavily involved in the May 1982 BITUSA sessions. After that, he was pretty much a ghost. By the "official announcement" in 84, he had already been gone a long time.

The only involvement SVZ had in TOL was telling Bruce that "Ain't Got You" sucked.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    laf848, budwhite, majorlance and 2 others like this.