What is your worst concert experience?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wiki claims the biggest incitement was a late soundcheck. When fans outside heard the band, they thought the concert proper had started and panicked...

Yeah, I recall a big push to blame GA for the tragedy. Not sure how many of those laws stuck or how much difference they'd make - I don't think arena shows with majority GA were common even in the late 70s, were they?

Hammerpeg and uzn007 like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yup. Imagine a garden gnome glowering at the audience for 75 minutes while perfunctorily performing every one of his songs in the same hyper fast swing tempo.

3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't have any actual figures, but my guess is that they were probably fairly popular among promoters. GA shows would mean (A) fewer ushers needed to show people to their seats, (B) less work to do to set up since you don't have to put seats on the floor, (C) official venue capacity could be larger for a GA show and (D) if you're unscrupulous (a concert promoter? Perish the thought!) and buddies with the local code enforcement people, you could sell more tickets than you were supposed to and cram as many people as physically possible into the building.

4. uzn007

The one time I saw Van, the high point were the slow, extended spiritual numbers. Yes, he did lousy, sped-up versions of a few of his hits, but the songs I'd never heard before were amazing.

Zeppelin fan likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

In recent years, GA on the floor has made a comeback with "A"-level artists. I think U2 were the first big act to use it on a tour back in 2001, and Springsteen started to do it soon after that.

Some artists have gone with "modified GA" on the floor whereby they have small "GA pits" among the reserved seats.

I like GA floors for big-name artists because the tickets often are cheaper than the good reserved seats. For U2, there's a huge difference - IIRC, the better reserved seats are $300+ whereas GA is only about $75.

Gaga has a big GA/reserved price differential, too, but Bruce charges the same for both...

6. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I was at my first Phish show last night. A guy told me one of their upcoming shows is GA....for the entire arena. 15,000 seats, first come, first served. Sounds like a bad idea.

7. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Happened just the other night at a small Kings of Leon show at the Borgata in Atlantic City. Terrible experience. Now, this was my 4th show this week so to say I’m familiar with etiquette would be an understatement.

Long story short, my wife and I were out celebrating a new job, had dinner and went to the venue which is all GA and, generally, a great spot to catch a band. We had VIP pit tickets which was essentially the first 1/5 of the floor divided by a metal barrier (it wasn’t eloquent by any stretch but it was certainly a barrier).

About 5 minutes before showtime we walk up front where it’s pretty loosely packed; there was no pushing or shoving, we simply walked up. Immediately, we are met with a chorus of people telling us to leave, they’ve been here for an hour, etc, etc.. My wife’s blood burns hotter than mine so as I’m calming her down I’m also offering to let anyone shorter than me (6’2”) move up so they can see.

I am in no way trying to block anyone from enjoying a killer sight line, which we all could have had.

Wasn’t good enough for two gentlemen who wanted to fight me (wouldn’t have gone as they hoped) and another woman who starts screaming for security. Two security goons, who I later find out work for a subcontractor called, ominously, ‘Strikeforce’, then start pushing and shoving their way through to where we all are, now engulfed in a small melee.

I’m about the only one who isn’t red-faced and excited and as the show starts I’m trying to plead my case as this is A) a GA show, B) our section and C) not that big of a deal as I’m trying to assuage the concerns of those around us.

I repeat.. this was not a crowded section!

Anyway, they took us out to the hallway to talk, grabbing on my wife the whole time, somewhat infuriating me. I’m telling them what I’m telling you and it’s met with a whole lot of eye-rolling and shrugs. The kicker is that we’re not allowed back in the VIP section which cost us a metric ton of cash, and instead told we can only stand in the full GA area, which is tightly packed.

I cut off my nose to spite my face and left in frustration. Worse still, KoL played ‘Pickup Truck’

bloodisthin, MisterNines and Dodoz like this.
  8. Oatsdad

I've been to a few arena-sized GA shows and they were fine, though I didn't show up before/as the doors opened.

I wouldn't worry about problems at the Phish show - I doubt anything bad will happen due to the GA...

9. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Being disabled and dealing with "handicapped sections" situated so you are unable to see the stage once the audience stands, I've had quite a few less than stellar concert experiences. In another concert thread, I've already mentioned the details of my Little Steven show last year. It was in an awful warehouse-type venue, which was only half full at most. Raised "VIP" seating with a perfect view of the stage sat empty all evening, while a half dozen disabled people were placed in the bar all the way in the back and off to the side. I had to lean over just to get a glimpse of the stage. Those next to me had even more obstructed sight lines. We kept asking if we could sit in the VIP section, but weren't allowed. Even getting home was a PITA. The taxi kept going to the wrong venue so it took me two and a half hours to get a ride. Not a great evening and it really put me off going to concerts.

10. uzn007

WTAF? Are these people unfamiliar with the concept of "General Admission"??

11. seaisletim

That really is a downer. Puts my complaints in perspective. Sorry

12. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I'm sorry to hear this. A friend of mine uses a wheelchair. I used to bug him about not going to shows with me, til he finally gave me the lowdown on all the logistics. He also finds that the promoters are usually uninformed or uninterested when he calls about accommodations. Shameful.

13. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Minges Coliseum Greenville NC, 1980 or 81. The Outlaws and Jimmy Buffett and we got there really late. There were no assigned seats, and the place was packed. All we could do was stand and everywhere we tried to stand security told us we couldn't, find a seat. There were no seats. Finally we made our way to the top row of the coliseum where here was a ledge about six feet up which we climbed up to and sat, our heads in the rafters, legs dangling and butts planted on the other side of ledge. Our backs were against the roof. There were about 8-10 of us and there had been drinking. One guy laid down across this area between the ledge and the roof. Suddenly that whole area collapsed. I was tall enough to catch myself by bracing my back against the roof but the girl beside me wasn't and fortunately I grabbed her and pulled her up before she fell. Unfortunately the guy laying across this overhang was in free fall down to the outside of Minges, on to the pavement, along with concrete slabs, insulation, and various other roofing parts. Miraculously he was alive, probably fell, well I don't know how far, however far it is from the top of a 6,000 seat arena to the ground outside. We spend the night in the ER, he was actually released the next morning with no broken bones. We could have all died very easily but they say God looks out for fools and drunks and we fit both categories that night.

14. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I love the Avett Brothers. Living in the SE USA, very close to Concord, I've been able to see them a number of times through the years.

BUT, about 4-5 years ago my wife and I got tickets to a now defunct (I think) one day music festival outside or Charleston at the Charleston Tea Plantation called The First Flush Tea Festival. It featured a day of local bands followed by a headline act. The Avetts as the closing act the time we went.

I think that we there in early afternoon. It was a miserably hot day. Most of the crowd, or a good portion of it was of the "see and be seen," "selfie-taking" variety. Many were either slightly below, or slightly above legal drinking age and they were certainly taking advantage of that fact. There was lots of drinking (they had both beer and cash bars all over the place). I am no prude, I love beer only slightly less than music, but any and all moderation was thrown out the window. These kids were slamming drinks down all day.

By the time the Avetts got on stage, pretty much everyone around us were falling over trashed. Shortly after the Avetts started playing, a guy in front of us turned around and threw up in front of us. We moved. Right before the end of the main set, a girl in front of my wife turned around and threw up on my wife's feet. That pretty much ended the day for her (my wife). She'd had enough. We got in our car and while we were waiting in traffic (show was not over and traffic was already horrible) listening to the encore (Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise), a girl walking (well, stumbling) past our car on the roadleaned over and threw up on the hood of my car.

Worst concert experience of my life, hands down. However, this experience has become something of a joke between us. Every time we hear that song my wife says something like, 'oh, the last time we heard that song we were getting puked on." or something like that. Its truly the joke that never gets old.

15. lazydawg58

That is awful. On the other hand at the outdoor amphitheater where all the big name acts play in Raleigh they offer great accommodations for the disabled. I had a friend who unfortunately is no longer with us that was disabled and often went to concerts there. There are reserved areas under the shed and very close to the stage where wheelchair bound and the rest of their party can sit. He was always treated well.

16. uzn007

Yeah, most of our worst concert experiences are probably pretty minor compared to what handicapped people have to deal with every time time they want to go to a concert.

rikki nadir likes this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Because you dislike this song, or you're sorry you missed it? I love that one!

seaisletim likes this.
  18. lazydawg58

As I remember all the shows before this were festival seating. Well actually, no seating other than on the sides. The floor area had so seats. Police patted you down as you entered but seldom did anyone get busted. They were more or less going through the motions, so unless you had a 3 foot bong in your pants you were getting in. Once you were on the floor it was like all rules were suspended but even in a military town like Fayetteville (this was right after Vietman ended and there were tons of young soldiers that probably had PTS on base) where I saw most of my early shows, there was never any fighting, lots of good vibes. Before the show started people sat on the floor or stood and once the show started everyone stood for the whole time. It was fun at 16-18 but got old pretty quick as you got older.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im going with the latter!

20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Well, I wouldn't say EVERY time. Actually, even though I don't go to many shows in large venues, most of my experiences at them have been pretty good. The last time I saw Springsteen, I was over stage left, the best view I ever had at a Bruce show (wish I had seats like this in 78 and 80!).

What really gets me is when a club remodels and the disabled seating ends up being worse. I saw Richard Thompson a few years ago at a venue that I'd gone to a few times. They usually sat me up off the floor behind some railings by the bar, which gave me a nice view of the stage. After they remodeled, the railings were replaced by a solid WALL, too high for me to see over (who designed that??). I had to sit at the top of the stairs with people walking up and down in front of me all night.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

John Mullins Band, Columbus OH '97 at The Patio. He had gotten pulled over before his gig, so he proceeded to down his stash of Xanex. He allowed taping, so my DAT was rolling as he proceeded to play the worst show I ever saw. His shows tended to be great or awful due to his habits. Jam band guy, formerly of Ekoostik Hookah. RIP, not suprisingly.

MungoMusic likes this.
  22. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

They absolutely did. Walter Cronkite blamed "a drug-crazed mob of kids" -- and this was not part of an editorial, but stated as fact during the nightly newscast. Chicago columnist Mike Royko called the audience "barbarians." When some local students wrote in to complain, he naturally cherry-picked the ones with the glaring grammatical errors to bolster his point.

It can sometimes be hard to remember, but in 1979 in the US even some of the most popular mainstream rock acts (and their audiences) were still seen as disreputable, sometimes beneath contempt, and largely separate from mass entertainment showbiz/audiences. The analogy to how hip-hop is perceived today (or, more accurately, maybe 10-20 years ago) is apt.

23. seaisletim

One of my favorites! Looked up the set list the next day and there it was, sure as ****

twicks likes this.
  24. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I remember several "festival seating" concerts I attended back then that could easily have turned in to tragedies like that Who concert, or worse. One was Deep Purple at the Long Beach Arena (1973, I think), where the crowd who arrived early in order to get up close almost broke through a 3-story glass wall to get in. Another was Jethro Tull at the San Diego Sports Arena - the doors didn't open when they were supposed to, yet people kept pushing forward until people were packed so tightly together they were passing out. When the doors finally opened, people stampeded in and I saw some fall. I never heard of injuries, but I can hardly believe there weren't any.

The Who Cincinnati disaster was inevitable.

squittolo and uzn007 like this.
  25. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

It's actually a real Neil Young quote. If you listen to the live album Year Of The Horse there is a little stage banter going on before When You Dance and someone yells " They all sound the same!" And then Neil says back " It's all one song". It sounds like it might have been Poncho saying it and Neil's mic picked it up. It sounds like the guys were giving joking around a little.