Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

It would be great if the complete 10/6/77 was released or just surfaced (hint hint). The NFA>Peter>NFA>Around is the bomb. I'd love to hear the rest.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

My favorite thing on Dick's Picks 6 is the Spanish Jam>Other One on disc three. For some strange reason, it's titled "Spinach Jam".

Is there such a thing as Spanish spinach? :winkgrin:

3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It's the same play on words as "Mud Love Buddy Jam" on Dozin' at the Knick (i.e. "Mind Left Body Jam"). The fans originally named those jams, so they're acknowledging that while also having a bit of fun with it.

ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I think the show itself is great. I like it a lot. The recording is not great; it's serviceable. These two things are out of the hands of the producer of the release. However, the patch job is another story. I think it needs to be fixed. Will it? Fat chance. It's not like it was a bad pressing with read errors. Someone actually dedicated time to messing it up. And time is money.

I'm not looking for advice on what to do with my copy, so there's no need to tell me about what I should or should not do about it. Not that that is going to stop anyone from doing just that.

5. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Tastes great!

Less filling!

:^)

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

[​IMG]

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I agree. I prefer the fall tour recordings to the spring, as they don't have that wonky reverb Betty pasted all over the vocals.
    :hide:

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Cool story :laugh:
    That is a great Black Peter. So is 10/29, wow what an end jam! The song is slow and Jerry sings it softly, then it just explodes with volume and power

RockRoom likes this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ok. Heres what you should do. Put it on your shelf and rip or listen to it when you feel like it.

10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think he should sell it, then buy it again in 5 years for 3x the price when he realizes it's his favorite show...

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Of course we shouldn't mention any of that to him. ;)

bzfgt likes this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Goes without saying...

trd likes this.
  13. notesofachord

Honestly the one time I listened to it, I did not notice that a line of the 3rd verse of Eyes of the World was missing. Even though I'm now aware of the missing line issue, there's a good chance that I still won't notice that it's missing the next time I listen.

Does this make me a bad Grateful Dead fan?

While it's much more obvious that an entire verse (plus associated intra-verse jamming) is missing from the 10/19/74 Eyes on the Movie Soundtrack edit, that doesn't bother me much either.

:hide:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    beatboy1975, trd, Doggiedogma and 4 others like this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The Movie Eyes cut is a lot less jarring. I had to go back, wondering if they skipped a verse. The missing single line from Boise is much more noticeable.
    I will listen again to see how much it bothers me (guessing not that much). I do think a lossless download of that song should just be posted for free by TPTB. Replacement discs seem like a pipe dream.

15. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Point taken. See you guys around.

16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

plus Wolf>Travis Bean

Mad Dog, RockRoom, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  17. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Agreed, though my guess is that TPTB will spend 0 seconds on this problem.

At least it was a few seconds of an issue compared to the whole Dave’s 24 fiasco (I never heard it the duplicating octave, but haven’t listened to that show since a few weeks after it was released).

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Um, you left out a few of these: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:shtiphat:

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. notesofachord

I like 'em both. The TB is a bit more crisp and metallic, but sparkling like a waterfall, while the Wolf is warmer, fuller, woodier, and perhaps cuts through the mix better.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Having synthesised bass notes smeared all over the entire 25 August '72 show on Dave's 24 is in my opinion a problem much more deserving of rectification than a missing verse an AUD patch on Dave's 27...

...but both are decisions/errors/misjudgments that fall below what I consider to be an acceptable standard for a not inexpensive annual music subscription.

I gotta say...I am finding myself disagreeing ever more frequently with forensic decisions on official releases - Dave's 24 being mastered such as to make it virtually unlistenable for me (AUD $40 down the drain), the 9 May '77 show TMNS not having a simple AUD patch during Jerry's ferocious closing solo, the missing verse on Eyes on Dave's 27, the mono mix not being included on the debut album 50th anniversary...

Ahhhh but which Travis Bean? The 1000 or the 500? Single coils or humbuckers? There were more than two of them but there were, basically, two varieties.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    bzfgt, Doggiedogma, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  21. US Blues

The Travis Beans were just guitars.

The Wolf was an Alchemical catalyst of the highest order, stirred into the Alembic of the Grateful Dead, resulting in the Magnum Opus- the Great Work.

PS- TPTB need to be as scrupulous as us unwashed masses. :help:

Six Bachelors, trd, mmthmj and 4 others like this.
  22. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Wot?

23. US Blues

The powers that be need to be attentive to detail - no fake bass notes, proper patches, every show from the Fall of '73 - as we are.

Quincy, Archtop, trd and 6 others like this.
  24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Agreed. We need all of Fall ‘73 released pronto.

trd, mmthmj, rufus t firefly and 3 others like this.
  25. JBOO

JBOO Forum Resident

DaP 27 #7403 arrived in the UK.

beatboy1975, nitsuj, mmthmj and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.