Mellow Songs of the 60s/70s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Corny and trite as hell, but I still dig this groovy and mellow obscurity from '67. By the way, I have all 225 volumes of Jeffrey Glenn's Lost Jukebox series.

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Wow! Now that's what I call dedication! Or obsession.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  3. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Aw, man, I'm envious! You're probably familiar with this one then, "Anabel" by the Seagulls (the B-Side of their Kinks cover "Death Of A Clown".

The Seagulls - Anabel

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  4. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Idy Lynn, "Up In My Mind"

John54, Manapua and Joy-of-radio like this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

More 5th Dimension from their exquisite Magic Garden LP. Billy Davis Jr. shines as always. Love the note he hits at 1:49,

Joy-of-radio and CliffL like this.
  6. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

"Love Can Make You Happy" - Mercy.

Amazing how some songs just act like a wormhole to certain places and times. I hear this, and its the summer of 1969 and I'm 8 years old in North Jersey. The Mets were making their run, Apollo 11 was on the moon and this song was everywhere . A real guilty pleasure. Who knows what happened to the artists.

skydropco, sjaca, hugh . g. and 3 others like this.
  7. Joy-of-radio

Simply gorgeous sunshine pop!

CliffL likes this.
  8. Joy-of-radio

Yeah, fantastic record and very mellow! The version BrutandCharisma shared upstream is a re-recording that appears on the LP "Love Can Make You Happy" issued on the Warner Bros. label. The original hit recording was released as a single by a small Florida label called "Sundi Records". When the record spring up the charts, Warner Bros. Records wanted to sign Mercy on, but Sundi Records wouldn't relinquish the rights to the original hit recording. Here's where it gets really sordid. Sundi Records released their own version of the LP using the original hit version of "Love Can Make You Happy" by the group Mercy, and used an imposter band for the rest of the LP tracks. Yes, the Sundi LP, apart from the original hit song, is horrible!

9. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've loved that song for years and years.. I should find more songs by them. If anyone knows any great ones, I (and others) would appreciate it!

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm not well versed in The Moment's ouevre but I can give you a little background. Sylvia created the group and at some point, all the original members were replaced by three guys who eventually morphed into Ray, Goodman & Brown. The only other single I bought by them was one of their last under that name - Look At Me (I'm In Love).

CliffL, MortSahlFan and Joy-of-radio like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

keyse1 likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It was the dawn of the British Invasion and they didn't come much prettier than Marianne Faithfull.

sjaca, Jarleboy, John54 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Anything by Dionne Warwick would fit here. This is one of her best.

sjaca, Chris Schoen, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  15. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Wow, I never knew the whole back story on this. I've been a huge fan of this song ever since it came out when I was 12, and I bought the Sundi 45 in 1973, and the Warner Bros. LP in the eighties...I didn't realize there was a Sundi LP. Based on your post, I probably am not missing much!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  16. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Wow. That's a really cool backstory. From back in the days where 45 rpm Top 40 hit singles were everything, and unless you were the Beatles or the Stones, nobody cared much about albums. So many "one hit wonder" stories from back then.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the Moments, they're a fantastic vocal group. Here's their first hit, a superb song called "Not On The Outside".

MortSahlFan and Joy-of-radio like this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Mercy had to re-record their hit for WB and continued to do other songs for a real album. They had a secondary release that got some airplay with a cover of a song called "Forever", which also fits this thread:

Manapua, Joy-of-radio and MortSahlFan like this.
  19. Joy-of-radio

On the subject of “Mercy”, Sundi Records also held onto the B-side of “Love Can Make You Happy”. WARNING!… NOT MELLOW!

20. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Another group that had several "mellow" hits was the Sunshine Company...obviously one of my favorite groups since I have all three of their albums and two "best of" CDs! Their best known song is "Back On the Street Again" from 1967.

John54 and Joy-of-radio like this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

They also had a competing song on the chart in '67 called Happy. I preferred the mellower take by the Blades Of Grass.

Joy-of-radio, John54 and CliffL like this.
  22. John54

John54 Senior Member

Happy got most of the airplay up here. Back on the Street Again didn't do much. It came out second.

I never heard the Blades of Grass version of Happy until a few years ago. I think both are excellent!

23. John54

John54 Senior Member

This is what I think of as the "good" version

(except for that skip)

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  24. jojo getback

jojo getback Forum Resident

Trains and Boats and Planes by, Billy J Kramer

sjaca and Jarleboy like this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Alone At Last - Neil Sedaka 1978. Why wasn't this a smash? Maybe he should have released this in 1980 when soft rock was staging a comeback after the disco implosion.

Joy-of-radio and Jarleboy like this.