New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Glad to hear Amazon has some flat ones. I purchased mine from Amazon last week and they suffered from warping, which seems to be more about the packaging. The warps were located towards the edge of the records near the gatefold openings ? Perhaps not enough cool down and tight shrink wrap?? It didn't take much time in the Vinyl Flat to correct it... less time than most records that need it. Perhaps they changed the procedure during the pressing which had a positive affect....

2. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Problems seem to be fairly random with these recent reissues. The only one that I had an issue with was Riot Act.. A bit warped like some others have seen.
    They all sound decent to me. I don't have originals to compare them to though.

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I still have my faulty version of Avocado with the badly warped first disc. The seller refunded me and let me keep it and I will get rid of it shortly.

However, I wanted to see if it was worth my while getting another copy. So I listened to a few bits of the second disc, which was largely flat due to being in the second part of the gatefold and away from the booklet. I dropped the needle and listened to ‘Gone’ and I’ve got to say I’m pleasantly surprised. It sounded really quite nice with a decent depth to it. This may not be the most dynamic piece of vinyl ever, but overall this sounds pretty good.

I just placed an order for another copy. At least I have a decent cover and flawless second disc so I just hope the replacement has a half decent flatness to the first disc. I wanted to preserve if it sounded good. Overall, I like these 3 reissues compared to most other PJ vinyl reissues. They are a step up from No Code and Yield. Also, the legacy VS is good so if you can get these, I don’t think it’s too bad.

My reissues of Binaural and Riot Act are pretty flat and well pressed so no issues there....just got to get a copy of Avocado.

4. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

I received a copy of Riot Act for Christmas. It has a badly warped disc 1, as seems to be a common problem. It's the EU pressing, which came from Amazon UK.

Have just received a replacement, which is also warped, to a slightly lesser extent, but I would still describe it as pretty bad.

My Ortofon 10 is tracking through the warped disc OK, and it generally sounds fine. (Although I'm noticing a fair bit of inner groove distortion on discs 1&2, something that Binaural had NO trace of).

I'm guessing that all/most of Amazon UK's stock could be warped. So I'm thinking maybe I should return it for a refund and try ordering a US pressing, as I seem to be noticing a few members here reporting no warping issues with their US pressings.

...Or should I just live with the warped copy?

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Hi, depending on how many records you own (I have between 1500-2000) you may want to invest in a Vinyl Flat. It cost me $220 and at this point had probably easily paid for itself after correcting or saving 35-40 records. It doesn't work every single time but pretty consistent on new vinyl warps. I now it's hard to spend that much on a device but it does make buying new vinyl a lot less stressful.

Hep Alien and DrStroganoff like this.
  6. DrStroganoff

Hi Jam757. Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm familiar with the VinylFlat. My collection is between 900-1000 LP's, and TBH I can only think of 1 other disc I own that is a bit warped (not to the extent of the PJ LP). Also, being in the UK, it would work out quite expensive to import the VinylFlat.

I was mainly just wondering if people thought it would be worth me gambling on a US pressing. :)

7. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Both EU and US pressings are the same, cut at SST and pressed at MPO in France.

Soundslave and DrStroganoff like this.
  8. DrStroganoff

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Out of all of them I believe Riot Act was the only one that did have a minor/moderate warp so yes I would still recommend trying a replacement. Amazon has a great return/refund policy if you order from them.

10. DrStroganoff

Thanks for the reply Jam757! After my previous comment stating that I have barely any warped discs, this week I have received Ween, Afghan Whigs, and 3 Pearl Jams (2x Riot Act, 1x Avocado). All warped!

I am glad I had got them from Amazon tbh, because the returns are so good. Unfortunately, every replacement they have sent has been warped. But they DO play, so I'm just gonna suck it up and keep them.

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thats too bad and really unfortunately sort of the norm wth new vinyl these days. I have gotten pretty lucky recently though but did go through a bad streak at one time. Hell, if you keep buying enough warped vinyl you might be able to justify the Vinyl Flat someday! :D

James Bennett and DrStroganoff like this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Just played my Riot Act from eBay and get_importcds during their latest sale.

Disc 1 nice and flat. Disc 2 so horribly warped I am afraid to play it.

13. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Exactly!

14. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

A lot of stuff from the 90s was mastered to DAT: Jagged Little Pill, the first 5 Black Crowes albums, Pearl Jam...I'll assume Blood Sugar Sex Magic and the first 4 STP records were, since they were mixed by BOB, as well.

15. telepicker97

right? Why do so many people think a booklet is doing that?

16. telepicker97

17. telepicker97

Vinyl Flat

18. telepicker97

Yuuuuup.

Got a Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits in mine right meow.

19. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Any opinions on the original UK vinyl of Ten? I can’t recall any here. It doesn’t seemto be much cheaper. Simply Vinyl doesn’t get a mention, either, AFAIK.

20. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident

21. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

ordered!

I think I ordered it just for the fun of seeing if I can get a red or blue one!

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I didn't buy the deluxe CD set. Is this show a good one? More importantly, is it worth $36 after shipping?

23. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It's a good show with the band in its prime in 1994, playing a set list made up by the crew. However, the 2LP is only about 2/3 complete, so it's not the whole show. When it was released as part of the Vs./Vitalogy box set, 10 Club made some of the missing tracks available as a download.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Behind the Setlist: Orpheum ’94 | TwoFeetThick.com
    • Oceans – CD/LP
    • Even Flow – CD/LP
    • Sonic Reducer (with Mark Arm) – CD/LP
    • State Of Love And TrustDigital Only
    • Hard To ImagineDigital Only
    • Immortality – CD/LP
    • Go – Not Available
    • Animal – Not Available
    • Glorified G – CD/LP
    • Daughter – CD/LP
    • Alone – Digital Only
    • Not For You – CD/LP
    • Better Man – Digital Only
    • Rats – CD/LP
    • Blood – CD/LP
    • Release – CD/LP
    • Tremor Christ – CD/LP
    • Once – CD/LP
    • ****in’ Up – CD/LP
    • Dirty Frank - CD/LP
    • Yellow Ledbetter – Digital Only
    • Jam – Digital Only
    • Rearviewmirror – CD/LP
    • Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town – CD/LP
    • I’ve Got A Feeling – Not Available
    And here’s what the labels mean:

• CD/LP – CD available for Deluxe and Super-Deluxe, Double-LP for Super-Deluxe only
    • Digital Only – Download link sent to all who pre-ordered the Deluxe and Super Deluxe
    • Not available – These are not included due to the technological limitations of the time. No complete multi-track recording exists.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  25. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I would have loved an expanded 3 LP version with the extra tracks. In particular, Hard to Imagine is just incredible here.

superstar19 and JasonA like this.